Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 08:21 AM

34,851 posts, read 30,947,424 times

Advertisements

Americans shift away from traditional jobs: study

This is really illuminating, and I don't think the shift is largely voluntary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 09:17 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,482,595 times
good for them? If they choose it, then why is it a problem?

I know you said it isn't voluntary... but looking at the attitudes floating around even on CD, I can't see them "wanting" to work in an office for 30 years... at least they have a choice to do on demand type jobs like uber

Old 09-29-2015, 05:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,165 posts, read 80,329,413 times
Some people are just intrigued by working as much as little as they want, and being on the internet and/or social media all day. That is evidenced by the success of Uber & Lyft, TaskRabbit and others and the Ebay Stores. Many more are likely to be started in the future.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:00 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,382,315 times
Traditional jobs are harder to get. I have been picking up dog sitting and errand running type jobs. It's not want I want and i am miserable; but I am still trying to get a decent job. Even with education and experience the interviews are hard to get when you are over 40.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:02 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,867,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Americans shift away from traditional jobs: study

This is really illuminating, and I don't think the shift is largely voluntary.
I feel like this is the direction we're headed in the new technology/millennial economy. It's better to get a seat on the bus rather than stop it.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:12 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,893,948 times
It's not surprising, companies don't want the cost and liability of having a traditional full time worker anymore. As for gigs like uber, Once you factor in gas, wear and tear, depreciation, and the amount of hours it takes to do car rides and deliveries, the pay isn't that great. You will probably need to rely on government programs like obamacare instead of paid benefits. With no pension or matching 401k you will end up relying on social security a lot more when retirement comes along.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:38 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,550,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
Traditional jobs are harder to get. I have been picking up dog sitting and errand running type jobs. It's not want I want and i am miserable; but I am still trying to get a decent job. Even with education and experience the interviews are hard to get when you are over 40.
That is exactly right. And anyone who accuses those of us who try to start up a home-based business or take contract work because that is all we can do is very, very naive or just plain lucky to have never been laid off, outsourced, turned down over and over because of age or experience, or gone through the endless process of sending out resumes to the void, interviewing, and never hearing back from anyone.

Our country started up on small business owners. Over a hundred years ago these people were the majority.

Don't knock anyone who is trying to do better for themselves, whatever it takes.

And BTW, anyone who has ever tried to start up a small business of their own knows that you work a whole lot harder than someone who just goes to a job every day.

I have nothing but respect for entrepreneurs and small business owners.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:14 AM

34,851 posts, read 30,947,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I feel like this is the direction we're headed in the new technology/millennial economy. It's better to get a seat on the bus rather than stop it.
This isn't a good bus to be on, nor is it preferable to traditional employment for most folks involved.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:25 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,867,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
This isn't a good bus to be on, nor is it preferable to traditional employment for most folks involved.
It's just the way it is. Traditional employment is a thing of the past. Also, let's be honest, "traditional employment" isn't really traditional, it's only been around since the mid-20th century.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:36 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,392,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
That is exactly right. And anyone who accuses those of us who try to start up a home-based business or take contract work because that is all we can do is very, very naive or just plain lucky to have never been laid off, outsourced, turned down over and over because of age or experience, or gone through the endless process of sending out resumes to the void, interviewing, and never hearing back from anyone.

Our country started up on small business owners. Over a hundred years ago these people were the majority.

Don't knock anyone who is trying to do better for themselves, whatever it takes.

And BTW, anyone who has ever tried to start up a small business of their own knows that you work a whole lot harder than someone who just goes to a job every day.

I have nothing but respect for entrepreneurs and small business owners.

This is an excellent post Especially what I bolded. Been there, done that and its frustrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment