Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 01:12 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times

Advertisements

I'm in the middle of an MPA program and this video was incorporated into one my professor's lectures recently. What particularly interested me was the segment that starts about 4:15 where the lecturer basically posits that money is a motivator, but not in a linear progressive way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc

He basically explains if you don't pay people enough, they won't be motivated, but if you pay them enough so that the issue of money is "not on the table," they won't be thinking about money and that they'll perform better. I've often thought about this as I'm attempting to advance my career through a graduate degree hoping that I can get over a "hump" with regard to salary into a position that pays what I consider a comfortable range given my family situation, etc... I just thought it was an interesting piece of research and would be curious to hear what others think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 03:01 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
The unfortunately thing is many in society spend to their means, meaning they will always be motivated by money.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:30 PM

388 posts, read 383,052 times
The research is right about fulfilling a personal purpose after earning enough money. I especially agree with the comment about self mastery.And ascribe meaning to the job you do. Money is only motivating up to a point, beyond that it is no longer an incentive in the linear progressive way.

You can see this in examples all around us. People working for something that's meaningful to them, working overtime voluntarily and getting fired up by intrinsic motivation.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:02 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaWilde View Post
The research is right about fulfilling a personal purpose after earning enough money. I especially agree with the comment about self mastery.And ascribe meaning to the job you do. Money is only motivating up to a point, beyond that it is no longer an incentive in the linear progressive way.

You can see this in examples all around us. People working for something that's meaningful to them, working overtime voluntarily and getting fired up by intrinsic motivation.
Those people are delusional, and selfish to drag normal people along with them by raising the bar for everyone.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
Those people are delusional, and selfish to drag normal people along with them by raising the bar for everyone.
I'm one of those people

Old 09-29-2015, 07:10 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Isn't that common knowledge for a while? At around $60-75k (Or so, I forget study numbers) people just don't "need" more money so they won't be much more happy with getting more. At this point people just want to be autonomous and do their jobs

Here Is The Income Level At Which Money Won't Make You Any Happier In Each State

Old 09-29-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Isn't that common knowledge for a while? At around $60-75k (Or so, I forget study numbers) people just don't "need" more money so they won't be much more happy with getting more. At this point people just want to be autonomous and do their jobs

Here Is The Income Level At Which Money Won't Make You Any Happier In Each State
That's not a great benchmark study There's too many definitions of happy. I, for one, won't feel happy until I have a certain amount of disposable income. Minus taxes and expenses. This varies according to my lifestyle and other things.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:24 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,333,163 times
I'm driven by money and money alone. F everything else!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment