Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 07:48 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermerhorn View Post
TL;DR: Will I be laughed out of a job interview if I tell them the earliest I can start is April 2016?
In most cases, yes.

While it's nice that you care so much about your company, there is no need to give more than a two week notice. In some executive positions I've heard of people giving a month or so, but I don't think that is a requirement in most cases. You're not going to burn a bridge as long as you resign properly. You're worrying way too much over this. Just do what you need to do. The company certainly would!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 08:54 AM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Grow a pair and follow your dreams. Your goals and dreams will not sit around and wait for you
The Company stood by you, you stood by the Company with all you hard work, time to move on.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:58 AM

249 posts, read 424,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
In most cases, yes.

While it's nice that you care so much about your company, there is no need to give more than a two week notice.
Well, if I were to leave, the other person who does my shift when I'm not there would immediately have to take it over full-time. What would you think if your boss suddenly told you you were working from 9 PM to 4 AM every night for the foreseeable future?

So I need to give them time to find another person who is willing to do that, and who has the skills I have -- my job involves a lot of telephone calls to the US from the country I work in, and there are few people here who can speak English that well. It would take them a while to find one, though they probably wouldn't have to pay the new hire very much because this job could be done by someone young.

If I can't give a new employer proper notice, I just won't search in the private sector and will look only in academia where there are clear starting dates and jobs can be lined up months in advance. And really, I'm not even committed to moving; it's just something I'm thinking about, and I would happily stay at my job for as long as they would have me. My advanced degree will still be "fresh" for a year or so after I obtain it, so there's no need to rush.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:18 AM

23,513 posts, read 23,986,796 times
I always give two weeks, but if the employer requests more, I would work with them.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:55 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,291 times
Quote:
Well, if I were to leave, the other person who does my shift when I'm not there would immediately have to take it over full-time. What would you think if your boss suddenly told you you were working from 9 PM to 4 AM every night for the foreseeable future?
I've been told plenty of times that I would be working extra or having to learn a new job on the fly. It's the nature of the beast. You deal with it and move on.

I never said you SHOULDN'T give as much notice as makes you comfortable. I'm just telling you that it isn't a requirement to secure your reference.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:29 PM

1,784 posts, read 2,381,226 times
OP, I work in a totally different field than you do but the last job I left I gave them two months notice. I arranged with the new employer a start date two months after they made me an emplyment offer. I wanted to help my old job as long as I could because they needed me. Also, because of the field I'm in, I think the ethics rules would have highly encouraged a person to stay as long as possible to "wind-down" the work I was doing.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:52 PM

723 posts, read 868,168 times
The only job I've ever quit, I gave no notice... just stopped going in and ignored my phone until the problem went away. lol.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:11 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
The head of my company and I were talking about whether I was happy at my job. I assured him that the only thing that would make me happier is more money - I enjoy my coworkers immensely and without exception, I am given a lot of latitude with my schedule, and I get to work from home. I told him that I could make more money as a freelancer but that I hated paperwork and uncertainty, so they were stuck with me. He just asked that if I ever make that decision that I give them a LOT of notice.

I'd give them at least a month, but preferably 2 months. The work I do is very specific, and if I did leave the company, it would put a significant hardship on my coworkers, as we have a staff that is stretched rather thin as it is. Plus, training my replacement would be pretty arduous. I'm the only person at my company that does the kind of work I do right now, and it's a very specific niche that I've carved out for myself over the past decade. Lucky for them, it also makes it rather hard for me to find a good fit at another company.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:50 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
They've treated me well over the nearly 16 years I have been there. They deserve the same treatment from me. Why burn a bridge?
I gave a 6 week notice, so they could hire someone and I could train someone. They didn't hire anyone, I didn't train anyone, their business didn't fail.

You have the best of intentions, but don't cut your nose off to spite your face. If they know you are getting your advanced degree, they also know there's a good chance you'll be leaving to use it, if they don't have a place for it.

Two weeks is sufficient. If you want, look around at your co-workers to see who can handle what and give management a heads up.

As much gratefulness as you feel, you have the perfect right to go off and fulfill you dreams. And if your business has any brains, they also have other people who can step in to your position -- I mean -- you do go on vacation, and you do get sick.... does no one do your job?

Best of luck!

Old 10-01-2015, 08:08 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times
I gave my manager 4 months notice when I knew I would be relocating and she didn't tell management until 1 month prior to my last day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment