Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 10:53 AM

2,761 posts, read 3,427,433 times

Advertisements

I am software developer. My hours are 9-5. if you want me to stay later you will have to explain how that is compensated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 11:13 AM

715 posts, read 1,073,812 times
It does depend on company culture and job type. At my office location, everyone leaves within their normal 8 hour day and they may even leave early on Fridays. We have developers, product analysts, client support, business systems analysts, client consultants, along with other managers in the office. At our other two locations for our group, they also leave within their regular work window. Very, very rarely will there be work outside of normal hours or someone working overtime (maybe another hour or two due to time zone constraints). I'm new, but apparently they have operated this way for years. We are all full-time, salaried, exempt employees - no contractors.

Other areas in the company operate similarly (I have a friend in another organization in the company. Very few require longer hours - they are not the norm.

The company does employ contractors (in other groups), but contractors typically work 8 hour days anyway due to overtime pay requirements for them.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:33 PM

8 posts, read 8,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
Tech is pretty well known for being off hours; or long hours. Just the nature of the game.. Of course there are always positions that may be more similar to a 8-5 type but they typically aren't entry level jobs. What kind of IT are you looking at? That makes a difference as well. There's a lot of jobs you can do from home, which is nice..
Really? What areas of IT are more 9 to 5 ? I had an interest in like Computer Repair or Desktop Support or like IT security? Any areas of IT to go into or avoid for work life balance?

My friends have told me to avoid going to into systems or networks

Old 10-13-2015, 10:35 PM

8 posts, read 8,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It does depend on culture. Ours is that people work a minimum of 45, with many going 60+. It's a horrible way to live and there is a lot of turnover among many teams.
Really do you work in the private sector?

Old 10-14-2015, 01:31 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberNoob View Post
Whats your job?
ETL/BI developer.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:16 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
. . . I rarely work more than 40 hours per week. I'm up over $100k.
Same here. Software developer. I usually start at 7 am and take an hour for lunch. Twice a week I leave at 3:30 to go to the gym, and then stay till 4:30 the next day to make it up.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:09 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
As an IT Security consultant my hours are set at 9:30-5:30, I'm always willing to stay late and bill extras but denied every time. My manager always remind me that it's time for me to do the timesheet by end of day.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:22 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The only reason I'm still at my current job is that I rarely work more than 40 hours per week. I'm up over $100k.
Yeah, you probably want to stay there as long as you can.

Very rare.

Anyone making that kind of money in a major city like NYC, Chicago, or San Fran will more than likely be putting in some extra hours.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:12 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
No one I know in tech or tech sales works 40 hours most 50-60 and a few 70.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:45 AM

406 posts, read 559,406 times
I make a very respectable salary in IT infrastructure administration/engineering. I work in a 24x7x365 environment with thousands of servers and have to participate in an on-call rotation once every 5 weeks.

I have only had to deal with one 'big' issue after hours in over 1.5 years. There is semi-frequent planned work -- before 8AM/after 5PM, sometimes the rare 4AM. Sometimes I have to give up an entire weekend for large planned maintenance, especially if things don't go as planned.

That being said, I feel that I'm compensated very well for this responsibility. As a worker <6 years into the fulltime work force, I'm paid well, have excellent paid time off (5 weeks vacation, 2 weeks sick) that I don't ever hesitate to take, have summer flex days, work from home ability, ability to go to a doctor appt or take my car to the shop mid-day without taking time off, work out in the middle of the day at the company gym, etc. Add in free family health insurance, 100% tuition reimbursement, annual training, etc and it doesn't sound like such an awful deal.

So, that being said, I agree that workers tend to be compensated better for such obligations. Being honest though, I rarely put in more than 40 hours per week cumulatively. Some weeks might be in the 45ish range, but my typical work week falls somewhere between 35-38.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment