Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 08:18 AM

124 posts, read 123,167 times

Advertisements

I currently work in a retail corporate office for nearly a year and this experience has made me realize that I am not cut out for this environment... The back stabbing, throwing others under the bus, and if you don't have the same interests as them (obviously the products they sell), then they treat them like outcasts.

For an example, I would walk into the office and a group of other workers would be standing there casually talking and I would say good morning as I walk in and no one would respond to me or act like I don't exist at times. That even happened this morning as I walked in with someone else and they acknowledged her and not me. The only times they would respond is if there is eye contact as I walk past them and even then sometimes, they don't say much to me.

I always feel I put forth the effort to be respectful and acknowledge that they are there. However, if I was to walk by them and not say anything to see if they would say anything, they won't speak still. (Probably 3-4 would respond) but there is 20 + people in the office. Even my own boss barely talks to me and I was even denied credit for bring in a product that is still a hot seller until I was promoted in their corporate office after graduating college.

I worked more labor jobs prior and they for the most part were always respectful and I am going back to that kind of work since I was more appreciated imo. Have you ever worked in an environment and realized it wasn't for you based on the culture of the job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 11:19 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,790,264 times
Oh yes. I remember one job specifically. It seemed like a great job. It was for a large company, in a BEAUTIFUL building and paid pretty well. The work was definitely something I could do, so I was excited.

My first sign that I wouldn't like the place was the pack of biddies in the department. We didn't have training one day because the trainer was waiting on a new hire to start and didn't want me to get too far ahead, so she sat me at what would be my desk and gave me some paperwork to sort through. I brought in headphones (as I'd asked and was told this was okay by the trainer). The biddies kept walking by me and one went to the manager and told her I was watching TV. Because a CD player is certainly TV! The manager called me into her office and gave me a talking to about not watching TV, which I denied and showed her my CD player and told her what the trainer said. She backed down, but looked like she really didn't want to.

After that, the new girl started. She had obviously never worked in an office environment. She dressed somewhat sloppily and was loud and not at all professional, but she was sweet and she was TRYING. The training progressed and I picked it up easily, but we had to stop a lot because she just couldn't get it. The trainer treated her like she was dumb and the biddies in the department laughed about her behind her back. She talked to me more than once and told me how bad she felt every day because of how they all treated her.

Then one day she was asked to step out of the room and I found out they let her go. That was the last straw. When the manager (who was doing the training that day) came back in, I stood up, gathered my things and told her thanks, but I didn't think this was a place I wanted to work. She tried to get me to stay and said I was doing great, but I told her I felt like I was being picked on by the other biddies in the department and that I didn't like the way they treated the other girl - and I left. This was about 10 years ago, but I still remember how good it felt to see the shocked expression on her face.

I've never regretted that decision. Some places just aren't worth working.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:24 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,817,158 times
Detach yourself emotionally. Just do your job, go home, and collect your paychecks. You don't have to like the people you work with.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:31 AM

6,556 posts, read 11,179,287 times
Just keep doing what you're doing. Keep saying "hi" and stuff. Don't let them bring you down to their level. However, don't do more than necessary (e.g. don't force a conversation, etc.). They'll either come around, or perhaps they have something against you for no reason. In either case, you have zero control over it. So just keep on doing your thing.

If it bothers you enough, look for another job. That would be my suggestion. Don't waste time on things you have little control over.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:34 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,714,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboobam View Post
I currently work in a retail corporate office for nearly a year and this experience has made me realize that I am not cut out for this environment... The back stabbing, throwing others under the bus, and if you don't have the same interests as them (obviously the products they sell), then they treat them like outcasts.

For an example, I would walk into the office and a group of other workers would be standing there casually talking and I would say good morning as I walk in and no one would respond to me or act like I don't exist at times. That even happened this morning as I walked in with someone else and they acknowledged her and not me. The only times they would respond is if there is eye contact as I walk past them and even then sometimes, they don't say much to me.

I always feel I put forth the effort to be respectful and acknowledge that they are there. However, if I was to walk by them and not say anything to see if they would say anything, they won't speak still. (Probably 3-4 would respond) but there is 20 + people in the office. Even my own boss barely talks to me and I was even denied credit for bring in a product that is still a hot seller until I was promoted in their corporate office after graduating college.

I worked more labor jobs prior and they for the most part were always respectful and I am going back to that kind of work since I was more appreciated imo. Have you ever worked in an environment and realized it wasn't for you based on the culture of the job?
First thing:

1. Take your heart off your sleeve and stick it in your chest, where it belongs. (I felt the same long ago, but I grew up realizing I didn't need their approval for my life)

2. Don't worry about what others think of you. Do your job as the manager wants it done. (I find that it's easier to survive working that way)

3. Don't bother trying to gossip up and/or suck up to others. (Some people like being a lap dog)
4. Ignore those who ignore you. (They don't sign your paycheck, let your work speak for you)

Old 10-14-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Oh yes. I remember one job specifically. It seemed like a great job. It was for a large company, in a BEAUTIFUL building and paid pretty well. The work was definitely something I could do, so I was excited.

My first sign that I wouldn't like the place was the pack of biddies in the department. We didn't have training one day because the trainer was waiting on a new hire to start and didn't want me to get too far ahead, so she sat me at what would be my desk and gave me some paperwork to sort through. I brought in headphones (as I'd asked and was told this was okay by the trainer). The biddies kept walking by me and one went to the manager and told her I was watching TV. Because a CD player is certainly TV! The manager called me into her office and gave me a talking to about not watching TV, which I denied and showed her my CD player and told her what the trainer said. She backed down, but looked like she really didn't want to.

After that, the new girl started. She had obviously never worked in an office environment. She dressed somewhat sloppily and was loud and not at all professional, but she was sweet and she was TRYING. The training progressed and I picked it up easily, but we had to stop a lot because she just couldn't get it. The trainer treated her like she was dumb and the biddies in the department laughed about her behind her back. She talked to me more than once and told me how bad she felt every day because of how they all treated her.

Then one day she was asked to step out of the room and I found out they let her go. That was the last straw. When the manager (who was doing the training that day) came back in, I stood up, gathered my things and told her thanks, but I didn't think this was a place I wanted to work. She tried to get me to stay and said I was doing great, but I told her I felt like I was being picked on by the other biddies in the department and that I didn't like the way they treated the other girl - and I left. This was about 10 years ago, but I still remember how good it felt to see the shocked expression on her face.

I've never regretted that decision. Some places just aren't worth working.
This reminds me of this one woman at my current job. She does inventory and my boss and others would say things to belittle her. He even called her an explicit word in my presence to someone else when she wasn't around. So I know they were telling the truth. She is still here, but is also looking for another job like I am. I hope she does a send off as epic as you when she finds another job. They treated her like crap for the longest.

Anyway, I think the way you left made sense and her shocked look and feelings of regret for treating others poorly were being realized.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Detach yourself emotionally. Just do your job, go home, and collect your paychecks. You don't have to like the people you work with.
That is my state right now. It sucks since my mind actually feels stagnant at work now and I am not really engaged with anyone. So, I am looking for another job and I know I won't like everyone I work with. However, this situation is the worst I have been in.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Just keep doing what you're doing. Keep saying "hi" and stuff. Don't let them bring you down to their level. However, don't do more than necessary (e.g. don't force a conversation, etc.). They'll either come around, or perhaps they have something against you for no reason. In either case, you have zero control over it. So just keep on doing your thing.

If it bothers you enough, look for another job. That would be my suggestion. Don't waste time on things you have little control over.
Yes, I am currently looking for another job. Just seeking anyone elses experience with the same issue. I am not wasting my time over them anymore since I don't even volunteer myself to do extra work anymore like I used to. I literally come in, work, and go home with little interaction. I don't even eat lunch with them. I would go over to another department and eat lunch with other workers.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
First thing:

1. Take your heart off your sleeve and stick it in your chest, where it belongs. (I felt the same long ago, but I grew up realizing I didn't need their approval for my life)

2. Don't worry about what others think of you. Do your job as the manager wants it done. (I find that it's easier to survive working that way)

3. Don't bother trying to gossip up and/or suck up to others. (Some people like being a lap dog)
4. Ignore those who ignore you. (They don't sign your paycheck, let your work speak for you)
My heart has been off my sleeves for a while now and hence the reason for me finding another job. I never felt like I belonged here and their actions towards me prove that. When I do ignore these people, it's funny when they say "You are so quiet." but they had to problem ignoring me in the first place. That literally just happened today who happens to be the President of the company. When I first started, I would try to be nice and say hello and whatnot and even he ignored me for a while. This was the same guy that denied me credit for bringing in the product that is a hot seller. He actually lied and said another buyer actually bought the product from a show which was obviously false since I literally showed the President the product in his face directly. So, I never really cared for him for that reason alone.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:40 PM

774 posts, read 737,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboobam View Post
I hope she does a send off as epic as you .

There's nothing epic about using another person's firing as an excuse to walk off your job because you don't like it without having another job. It's really lame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment