Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 07:36 PM

212 posts, read 821,682 times

Advertisements

what do you do when you are alergic to a co-workers smelly perfune and that perfume is irrateing your asthma or getting you sick. Some people (more women wear perfume) just pour on that perfume and you have to sit next to them. Do you go complain to your boss, get a doctors note of your medical condition, or tell the person to stop wearing that smelly perfume. Why do people have to pour on that perfume , maybe to hide a odor or maybe try to turn on the opposite sex

I have cough variant asthma and some perfumes start to make me cough. I had to get a doctors note on my last job.

Last edited by captnemo; 01-30-2008 at 07:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 07:46 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,983,376 times
I think it would be appropriate to take her aside and tell her you have an allergy to perfume. If that doesn't work, the doctor's note to your boss.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:29 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,501 times
I'n not sure if it's illegal to offend someone with perfume or not, but continued offensive behavior at work would get one fired. I'd guess that this isn't your intention, though. I'm a guy, so the only time this has happened to me was a co-worker (a man) came in reeking of cologne. I told him, "I would hope that someone would tell me, so I assume you feel the same way. Your cologne is pretty strong today." He was thankful, it was said as respectful as possible, and it never happened again.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:52 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
I think it would be appropriate to take her aside and tell her you have an allergy to perfume. If that doesn't work, the doctor's note to your boss.
I think this is pretty good advice. I had a situation in a previous job where a co-worker always lit this obnoxious smelling candle. It was so bad someone way back in the accounting dept. was complaining about it, but they didn't want to say anything either. Finally, I left her a note explaining that the scent bothered me with a gift of another candle (brand I knew she liked and fragrance I liked!) It was embarrassing and awkward, and I hated to have to do it (especially since I couldn't claim that it was a health issue.) But hey, that candle smell was so bad that if I had been forced to continue to endure it, I would have literally had to quit!

Bottom line, the young lady took it very graciously and said she was sorry it bothered me. (I didn't tell her it was even bothering people back in accounting too!) Actually, though, if that had not ended the situation I would have probably told the manager about it. Upper management may have had a rule about burning candles onsite anyway. (Most companies won't allow it because of fire risk.)

Old 01-31-2008, 01:08 PM

3,160 posts, read 4,365,078 times
depending on the size of your company, you should contact HR, they will handle it and the person wont know who complained...

Old 01-31-2008, 01:18 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times
Be glad it's just perfume. There's a woman that works in the same building as I do, and you can smell her from at least ten feet away. And it's not cologne or armpits...it's the "I don't bother to wash my private parts" smell. It's so bad you have to hold your breath when she passes.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:25 PM

114 posts, read 818,799 times
I was actually one to be the culprit when I was much younger and I've been the 'victim' as well. I didn't find out I was the culprit until someone told me everyone was complaining behind my back. I would have been very cool with someone coming up to me and saying that my perfume was great but that they had a sensitivity to fragrances. As it was, the situation turned out to be humiliating and I lost respect for my co-workers since they could not handle a very simple matter like mature people.

Most of the time, the person has no idea they are annoying someone else. If you approach the person tactfully, they will accommodate you. I know a lot of companies that have a 'fragrance-free' policy. What smells good to one may be repulsive to another. Remember, do it in a very nice way and let them know your allergy is to many fragrances, not just hers. If it doesn't work (I'd be surprised) then asking the boss to make the office fragrance free (w/o naming the person directly) should be a safe way to resolve the matter.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:39 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,708,001 times
once when I was pregnant, I had that situation come up; your senses are definitely heightened. I just came right out and told her in a nice manner. She did not wear it again and I think I did the whole office a favor.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:03 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,108 times
Simply put the best way is through HR. I had a friend at work who loved rubbing sweet smelling lotion on her hand. I asked her one day, "What your wearing", her reply, "Passion Fruit". She asked don't you like the smell. This is where I kicked her in the gut by telling her, no it really is upsetting my allergy. She stopped rubbing herself every half an hour with that stuff. She switched to a non-smelling brand.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:39 AM

146 posts, read 1,010,820 times
I remember working in a office with someone who stunk so bad of cigarette smoke that my eyes would start watering when she came in the door. She was not a pleasant person either and caused me trouble at every turn. After she had me "wrote up" for turning the lights off when I left the room (no one was there but she didn't like it it she would come back from lunch and find the room dark.) I walked out. I faxed them my resignation letter and worded is something like "because of conditions at xyz that are detrimental to my health and well being, I am resigning my position effective immediately." It was a religious social service agency but I have never seen a more dysfunctional bunch of people in all my life. But, with that said, if you like your job and feel it is worth it to stick it out, perhaps you can be assigned to another office space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment