Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 01:16 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
I'm wondering when tattoos became so mainstream. 20 years ago, they were absolutely a sign that you were either ex-military, a biker, or (so-called) trailer trash. I know they're mainstream now, but when did this happen and how? (Did they become more removable?)
In the mid-to-late 80s, they started to become more popular with musicians, artists, etc., in places like Boston and New York. By the mid-90s, you couldn't walk through certain neighborhoods in Boston without seeing hipsters with tattoos, multiple piercings, etc. Then, like every other trend, they became mainstream.

Quote:
Unfortunately, styles change and in another generation or so, I have a feeling that tattoos will once again be out of style (because styles change), which will leave people of a certain generation "marked" for professional discrimination. Younger people will disdain tattoos because their parents have one, etc etc. (No, younger people don't do that NOW... give it another generation and they will.)

It's all part of a big cycle. You're really no longer a rebel for getting one, nor are you uniquely expressive, because, well, everyone has one and it's kind of like slogans on T-shirts... writing on T-shirts was once a stylistic innovation, and cool and expressive, but who even cares about T-shirt slogans any more? At least you can take the T-shirt off. Same with bumper stickers... unless super provocative, they're largely ignored because so common.
Spare us the editorializing. None of this is relevant to the subject at hand, which is one person's employment right now.

Quote:
The truth is, we really aren't far enough along to ask the current generation how they feel about getting huge elaborate body-art tattoos done, if they regret it or not... ask them when they're 50.
There are thousands (if not millions) of people in their 50s (and older) with elaborate body art. Go ahead and ask them. I'd bet very few of them regret it, but I also bet that most of them either worked in careers where it didn't matter, or got themselves tattooed in a way that wasn't visible when they were at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 02:59 PM

16,550 posts, read 8,589,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
The truth is, we really aren't far enough along to ask the current generation how they feel about getting huge elaborate body-art tattoos done, if they regret it or not... ask them when they're 50.
I believe what you will find is that those who get tattoos will obviously not be able to escape the current fad/trend like previous generations did with fugly clothes or hairstyles.
Previous generations have already donated their platform shoes, polyester shirts, hidden the yearbooks, and burned all the loose pictures. Only when someone else (relative/old friend) whips out an old picture will they turn red with embarrassment.
Needless to say people with tats have no ability to do the aforementioned, so they will become invested and defensive claiming to love them even when others are raising an eyebrow. There only hope is to have them removed or be in places that can be covered with climate appropriate clothing.
Yet part of the allure of tats is a rebellious, non conformist attitude which many of these people will have no choice but to perpetuate despite others who outgrow it with maturity.

It thus will be more likely that the attention w hores of today will take more of an F U attitude as a defense mechanism, since they cannot so easily shed their youthful stupidity of following the herd of the time.

`

Old 10-22-2015, 04:03 PM

221 posts, read 318,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
OP, you still haven't indicated whether you have asked anyone at your school to clarify their policy regarding tattoos. Have you??
I have not, not because I don't care, but because if I DO decide to get the tattoo, it will not be anytime soon. And it may not even be on the wrist where I initially thought.

When and if it comes time that I decide to do it, I will definitely ask.

You bring up a good point about parents though. Something else to think about.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:43 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
This statement intrigues me, as the statement that tattoos are an indicator of one's judgement, indicates that the person making the statement makes judgements about those who have tattoos....

Don't be intrigued and stop scratching your chin.

People have been making judgments based on any number of choices others make with respect to how they dress and choose to adorn themselves since time immemorial.

You pay for your thrills.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:59 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,337,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHeart22 View Post
No, and that's a good point. However, at some point in time, many of my female cousins and aunts have all gotten some form of a hummingbird tattooed somewhere (also, my cousin's husband is an amazing tattoo artist so they all went to him and I would do the same!). So beyond being a nice reminder of my grandma, it's something that bonds many of the females on that side of my family. I would like to be part of that.

Also, I just like the idea of getting a tattoo
You come from a family where tattoos are the norm. No wonder??? Must you be a follower? How about some individuality? BTW, as a teacher you will run into parents that think very low of a teacher with a tattoo.

Last edited by Julian658; 10-22-2015 at 05:11 PM..

Old 10-22-2015, 05:03 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,337,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHeart22 View Post
Also a good point. This is my first year at this school (and I have noticed a select few teachers do have tattoos that are sometimes partially visible, and much larger than I would have) and I can't be certain I'll stay here in the future. So the question goes beyond that then...what if I don't stay at this school? Or in teaching in general? Maybe a better question I should have asked would be, is getting what I perceive to be a small and tasteful tattoo in a visible place a bad idea for any professional work place?
A tasteful tattoo is an oxymoron!

Old 10-22-2015, 05:32 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,044,143 times
You can always get a Temp Tattoo and see how you feel about it.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:01 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,764 times
Mom I want a tattoo, even my teacher has one !

Old 10-22-2015, 07:39 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,102,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I think getting the tattoos in areas where you can keep them covered up with your professional outfits is probably the best thing a person can do if you have to get one at all. You never know what future employers will think about them, so this way you're playing it safe. Whether we like it or not, our image matters. And for some people they see tattoos and they may be cool with it. But other people see tattoos and they associate them with negative things. So it's for the best really to only get them where they wouldn't show during an interview just as a rule of thumb.
Can't rep this response enough. In the end, what others think DOES matter. Nothing wrong with getting a tattoo if that's your thing, but that wasn't the question. The question was its acceptance in a professional environment. That varies from person to person and organization to organization. Best to play it safe.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:50 PM

221 posts, read 318,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
A tasteful tattoo is an oxymoron!
I disagree. I'm not personally a fan of large, colorful tattoos for MY body, but I've seen some very beautiful ones on other people, and some people can pull that tastefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment