Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 04:02 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times

Advertisements

To me, as an outsider looking at your relationship, it looks like a control issue.

I would think you are a controlling husband who doesn't let his wife drive to work.

If you think about it, it's a waste of time, money, and resources to drive two hours a day when your wife could be making the thirty minute commute herself.

On the other hand, I absolutely loathe driving so I would be thrilled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 05:39 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
To me, as an outsider looking at your relationship, it looks like a control issue.

I would think you are a controlling husband who doesn't let his wife drive to work.

If you think about it, it's a waste of time, money, and resources to drive two hours a day when your wife could be making the thirty minute commute herself.

^^^ that was my initial thought as well. It's very uncommon for a spouse to drive the other to work. Your wife's coworkers may be concerned, curios, just getting to know her.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:00 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
"We're both morning people and a little freaky so we stop off at the Walmart parking lot and do the nasty in the back seat. I'm so glad the windows are tinted!"

Old 10-21-2015, 06:01 PM

127 posts, read 195,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

yes I'm controlling lol but initially I started driving her to work because it was early in the AM and she wasn't used to getting up so early. I just didn't want her to get into an accident. I enjoy taking her and picking her up and she likes it too, especially when I bring her something to eat on the way back home. I told her to drive herself to show her coworkers she "can" drive herself but then why should we change our routine to pacify some people she could care less for?

I don't know, yes it makes sense for her to drive herself, etc etc etc... but why is it such a big deal? to be honest if my coworkers were so nosy I would tell them to take a hike =) maybe that's why I don't "have" coworkers.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
"We're both morning people and a little freaky so we stop off at the Walmart parking lot and do the nasty in the back seat. I'm so glad the windows are tinted!"
lol!

Old 10-21-2015, 06:16 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,258,709 times
The co-workers know by now this question bugs your wife, so she needs to answer it somehow, and quickly. If the babes she is working with even get a whiff of uncomfortable-ness, they wil not let up. Every day will be a new question. Welcome to the jungle. This is the kind of stuff that makes work HARD. It.s not the actual work that irks ya, it.s the co-workers and their mind games. A newbie in the office is considered fresh meat and the lions are pawing her!
Does your wife not drive?

Old 10-21-2015, 07:14 PM

254 posts, read 597,615 times
Disabledveteran1,
Your wife doesn't have to answer any of their questions. What the heck to they care about how she gets to work or the wear and tear on the car? If I were her, I would ask them that and say that she is grateful that she has you to take her. They are being stupid and rediculous. They are probably jealous.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
The co-workers know by now this question bugs your wife, so she needs to answer it somehow, and quickly. If the babes she is working with even get a whiff of uncomfortable-ness, they wil not let up. Every day will be a new question. Welcome to the jungle. This is the kind of stuff that makes work HARD. It.s not the actual work that irks ya, it.s the co-workers and their mind games. A newbie in the office is considered fresh meat and the lions are pawing her!
Does your wife not drive?
yes, she has no problems driving. Like I said earlier we enjoy the time we spend together when I take her and pick her up.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:23 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
My dad drove my mom everywhere because she didn't know how to drive - still doesn't. Neither does my aunt. I have to admit, though, my dad was very controlling. He never wanted me to learn to drive because he was afraid I'd get out from under his thumb.

Some businesses are very cliquish. Instead of being coworkers, they all want to be friends and they have to know about everyone else's business because they go to work just to socialize. I worked in a place like that. We were expected to to be buddy-buddies after work and on our days off, as well. I was told I was snooty because I chose to go home instead of out for drinks after work. I did make the mistake of telling some of them about my hobbies - I'll never do that again. Clearly there is one leader in that job that keeps this sort of thing going, or it would have died out before now. If that's the dynamic of that work environment, the OP's wife might want to start looking for another job. Pretty soon his wife will start to be written up for not getting along with the other coworkers, which just means they think they have a right to know everything she does and don't like the fact that she's a more private person.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:40 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennStar View Post
Disabledveteran1,
They are being stupid and rediculous.
They may even be bluediculous or greendiculous!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment