Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 07:59 AM

590 posts, read 714,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyk4 View Post
She has only been here a little over a year. It's her first real job and now she is going to go from our coworker to our supervisor? I just don't like it. (I prefer a male boss anyways). These young girls can be so condescending.

Your going to get demolished on here because of that right there in bold....

Quote:
I'm a women geez. I'm just commenting from experience.
But since you said this, now you can expect to see response such as "oh how convenient, now your a woman all the sudden" OR "how come your just now telling us your a woman"

See, the majority of posters here on city-data are women.....at least most who gravitate towards these type of threads anyways...

Last edited by crf450ish; 10-23-2015 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 08:41 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
If you are a girl: Aw someone is jealous of the younger, prettier girl! How cute.

If you are a guy: How could a WOMAN!, yes woman! get this job over a man??

Last edited by Mr_Geek; 10-23-2015 at 09:00 AM..

Old 10-23-2015, 08:47 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
There's a lot that goes into that decision. But I would agree with you that a 24 year old probably doesn't have the maturity and people skills necessary to be a supervisor.
I don't agree with that. I work with a lot of young people and maturity varies wildly. Some of our young people are great, much more mature than some of their older co-workers. Same with people skills, I work for a young woman who has amazing, intuitive people skills, needless to say she has come up through the ranks rapidly. It totally depends on the individual, regardless of age or experience.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:21 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Someone is going to be quitting his job soon and blaming it all on some "young girl".
Or getting fired...

Old 10-23-2015, 09:26 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Having worked corporate and retail (and now work from home for a small company), I'd say it's not at all unbelievable. There are some very driven and organized 24-year-olds out there. I've worked with a few.

I don't understand preferring male bosses to female bosses. I've never seen differences in management style that I could attribute to gender. I've been lucky though - I've adored almost all of them.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:29 AM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
It's amazing to me that the sex and age of a manager matters to ANYONE. I promise you the only thing I care about in my leaders is management style. I've had men, women, young, old, fat, thin, white, Asian, black......none of that matters, because you can't accurately predict anything based on those criteria.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:51 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Personally, I think this is a BS post.

In most professional roles, no, it is not common. And the OP is condescending.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:11 AM

71 posts, read 60,866 times
In defense of the OP. The private sector is not based on meritocracy.

You do not get ahead, or a job in the first place based on merit. If you believe that I have a bridge I want to sell ya.
When there is a choice, the manager will hire/promote the person with better looks, relative to his own image of what a good looking person is, someone who he sees could become his close friend or even family. If it's a male hiring a female, then the reason may even be sexual, let's be honest.
The only time a better looking person does not get ahead is if he/she is a total moron.

Corporations are dysfunctional families, don't get upset of being left behind, you will only be treated fairly when you are the boss of your own business.

As for preferring a male or female manager, it doesn't matter, as I said, what matters is the empathy between you and your manager. So, if she was not nice to you as a colleague, you are pretty much screwed, because when a new lion/lioness takes over, the first thing it does is killing or expelling the cubs (you) of the previous lion (manager).

Welcome to the psychopathic world of employment!

Last edited by hiigara; 10-23-2015 at 10:24 AM..

Old 10-23-2015, 10:16 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
She has only been here a little over a year. It's her first real job and now she is going to go from our coworker to our supervisor? I just don't like it. (I prefer a male boss anyways). These young girls can be so condescending.

Those she have a college degree, does rest of staff have a college degree. My first job out of school I had staff. They were mainly clerks. Some were with company ten years. One women was 60 and her boss 22 years old (me).

Old 10-23-2015, 10:18 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Having worked corporate and retail (and now work from home for a small company), I'd say it's not at all unbelievable. There are some very driven and organized 24-year-olds out there. I've worked with a few.

I don't understand preferring male bosses to female bosses. I've never seen differences in management style that I could attribute to gender. I've been lucky though - I've adored almost all of them.

Yea like when my female unmarried boss made us work to midnight several days in a row and was screaming and throwing papers at midnight due to typos for a whole week.

Later on I found she turned 40 and was single and her last shot at getting married boyfriend dumped her a few weeks earlier and she freeked out. Men don't do stuff like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment