Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 06:04 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times

Advertisements

We needed a sub so one of our subs sent this guy to my office a few months ago. I must say he is very impressive. His capacity is pretty high. I talked to my boss about it and my boss agreed with me based on other people's reviews of him.

I happen to know that they are paying him 51k/yr. We can offer him 60k. I had a lite talk with him yesterday and he responded that his company offered him a job 7 years ago when no one else would so he can't just leave them. In the end, I told him it's fine just think about it. He seemed very insistent on staying with his company.

They are paying him so low, though. We pay our newly college grads higher than that. I personally think he is worth more like 65k to 70k.

Ever met someone with such sense of loyalty to a company that they want to stay there no matter how low their pay remain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 06:24 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
65 to 70K for entry level in Civil Engineering?

Get me a job!

Tell me which company you work for.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
65 to 70K for entry level in Civil Engineering?

Get me a job!

Tell me which company you work for.
No. 50k. This guy has been in the industry for 7 years.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:47 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
...Ever met someone with such sense of loyalty to a company that they want to stay there no matter how low their pay remain?

Yes. When I moved back to my town in 1980, it was the beginning of the oil bust and I had a hard time finding a job. Finally I contacted someone for whom I had worked in the early 1970s -- he owned an oil company and he felt so bad for me that he created a job for me.

A couple of years later, when the oil bust really hit hard, his company fell on hard times. He was able to pay the five people who stayed with him only every other payday -- so we were getting paid 1/2 of our normal salaries. That went on for a year and I actually had to take out a loan to pay some bills. He promised to catch up on what he owed us, but he died of a heart attack before he was able to do so.

I know a lot of you reading this will say that I and the other four people who continued working for him were crazy. But he had always treated us so well and none of us felt as though we could abandon him when he needed us most. Of course, the company had to close up when he died -- but I was able to find a job within a week, even in those hard times, because the hiring manager was so impressed with my loyalty.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:52 AM

But they are still paying him entry level pay. And his title hasn't changed after 7 years. I know how sharp this guy is so I know his company is milking his loyalty.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:14 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
Quote:
But they are still paying him entry level pay. And his title hasn't changed after 7 years. I know how sharp this guy is so I know his company is milking his loyalty.

You dont know the financial situation of that company. Maybe they cant afford to pay him any more than they are right now. And maybe there arent any promotions available because everyone is so happy there that no one leaves -- or maybe he's told them he doesnt want to be promoted. And, anyway, he's content -- so why obsess about it?

Old 10-24-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
You dont know the financial situation of that company. Maybe they cant afford to pay him any more than they are right now. And maybe there arent any promotions available because everyone is so happy there that no one leaves -- or maybe he's told them he doesnt want to be promoted. And, anyway, he's content -- so why obsess about it?
I hate to see good talents go to waste I guess. I also don't like to see people being underpaid.

But you are right. Up to him.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:52 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times
Quote:
I had a lite talk with him yesterday and he responded that his company offered him a job 7 years ago when no one else would so he can't just leave them.
He has a problem you don't know about. Why would he no other company want to hire him?

I think he has other issues. Usually people develop an extreme loyalty to a company because that company puts up with stuff other companies wouldn't. I've seen it time and time again.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:58 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,497 times
Some people are afraid of change and are willing to pass up opportunities to avoid it.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
He has a problem you don't know about. Why would he no other company want to hire him?

I think he has other issues. Usually people develop an extreme loyalty to a company because that company puts up with stuff other companies wouldn't. I've seen it time and time again.
Actually, someone in my company this morning suggested to me that he might have a record. In this profession, a record pretty much disqualifies you from everything. Why? Because we regularly do very sensitive work related to security. Meh, just guess work at this point.

I told him if he changes his mind just tell me and I will push him right thru HR. We like sharp people like him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment