Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 04:16 AM

124 posts, read 149,829 times

Advertisements

My mother in her early sixties tried and failed getting a part time retail job. They would rather have unskilled YOUNGER workers who are trying to get full time hourse but can only get 20 hours a week. My Mom wanted 15 hours a week to subsidize her Social Security income and would be happy with changing hours. But no job for her. (She would have been great and would be happy with $9 an hour.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
This is one of the vital pieces of information missing from the OP. Others include the salary and if there are any benefits offered. The OP is in Fairfax, VA, a suburb of Washington, DC, so retail salaries may be somewhat higher than the last two states in which I worked retail. But I guarantee you the cost of living is higher, too. My last retail job paid $12 an hour — before taxes and other deductions. And the question if these establishments are using people for a normal work week is also relevant.

Many people assume retail workers can just work two jobs if one doesn't cover their COL. Not likely! Retail workers are rarely given steady hours, or even regular days. When I worked for a major department store, I was full-time. But my days and hours of work changed EVERY WEEK. Some days I would start at 6 am, other days I would start at 2 pm. I had two days off per week, but they often weren't consecutive, let alone the same days every week. How can a person who doesn't know what hours they will be able to sleep in the next week be able to take on a second job?

Yes, there are plenty of jobs available. But can they support even ONE person, let alone if that person has obligations such as a child, college load debt, or has to pay for their own health insurance? Whether or not there is public transportation available during the hours a retail establishment is open is also key to some people's availability for work.

Please don't make the assumption people are failing to line up for these "available" jobs merely because they are lazy sods who don't WANT to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 04:18 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Oak View Post
Retail is not a job I would do unless they never make me work weekends or nights.
We live in a 24-hour economy. There are very few hourly jobs that are even scheduled Monday through Friday, let alone 9 to 5. In fact, I've personally never had a SALARIED job that kept those hours. There was always unpaid overtime and weekend travel in my jobs any time the pay was decent. If you have such a job, hang on to it. They are a rarity these days.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:40 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times
This is common in areas with good job markets. In economically depressed areas, like the one I lived in rural PA, such places get hundreds of applicants because there is no other work. Sadly, you have people who think they can make a career out of low wage work, and they end up quitting when they realize they won't get full time hours. Retail stores might have a few old time employees who have full time hours and benefits, but any new hires will most likely never get it.

Last edited by s1alker; 10-27-2015 at 04:48 AM..

Old 10-27-2015, 05:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I've seen this up here in Indiana. McDonald's in a rural town in southern IN had $10/Hr signs. I've even seen on the spot interviews
Ours it at $11-13 according to their sign, and the typical employee takes the bus from lower cost of living areas.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:52 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Discussion View Post
If you can speak and walk they want you at many local retail stores. They need staff! Here is the sign I saw at a large arts and craft store in Fairfax VA:

"Immediate Interview- Immediate Hire- Start Today (We are desparate!)

Is it that tought to find and retail workers in retail in well off suburban stores today?
Apparently yes. In the greater Boston area I see the same thing and McDonalds has signs "hiring immediately" $10+ hour to start..

Old 10-27-2015, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
I'm curious to know how many hours they are giving these new hires. Everyone in my area that work retail are complaining about not having enough hours.
Maybe their job performance is lousy. Retail gives more hours to people who perform well if they are part time

Old 10-27-2015, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
Well said. if they are desperate give them 40 hrs a week instead of 20-25 hours a week. Nobody can't live 20-25 hours a week at $8-10 an hour or whatever these retail jobs start at across the country.
How do you know they are not getting 40 or more hours per week. Lots of assumptions made on this thread and from what they have "heard" or what they have read on some bleeding heart news outlet like CNN or Huffington Post
Remember like I have said No one has to work retail. Apparently, the market is working because there is a shortage of labor now and retailers must raise their wages (will be $15 an hour in NYC & Boston soon) but these assumptions that everyone hired is 'only' working 20-25 hours are insane

Old 10-27-2015, 07:42 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,198,499 times
Retail has an extremely high turnover, walk off, and call out rate.

You can be an average at best worker but simply being able to be relied upon to show up everyday(and come in when they need you for OT) and you won't get fired unless you do something outrageous

Old 10-27-2015, 08:43 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Discussion View Post
If you can speak and walk they want you at many local retail stores. They need staff! Here is the sign I saw at a large arts and craft store in Fairfax VA:

"Immediate Interview- Immediate Hire- Start Today (We are desparate!)

Is it that tought to find and retail workers in retail in well off suburban stores today?
They must be...they didn't spell "desperate" correctly.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:45 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
Maybe their job performance is lousy. Retail gives more hours to people who perform well if they are part time
When I worked pt retail, I never had a problem securing more hours. As long as I showed up. Was flexible with my hours, I typically had 35 hours a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment