Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 08:46 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,558,967 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't want to work for them if they can't spell desperate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 09:00 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
This is common in areas with good job markets. In economically depressed areas, like the one I lived in rural PA, such places get hundreds of applicants because there is no other work. Sadly, you have people who think they can make a career out of low wage work, and they end up quitting when they realize they won't get full time hours. Retail stores might have a few old time employees who have full time hours and benefits, but any new hires will most likely never get it.
In those depressed areas, people are just hanging on for dear life.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:19 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
How do you know they are not getting 40 or more hours per week. Lots of assumptions made on this thread and from what they have "heard" or what they have read on some bleeding heart news outlet like CNN or Huffington Post
Remember like I have said No one has to work retail. Apparently, the market is working because there is a shortage of labor now and retailers must raise their wages (will be $15 an hour in NYC & Boston soon) but these assumptions that everyone hired is 'only' working 20-25 hours are insane
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
When I worked pt retail, I never had a problem securing more hours. As long as I showed up. Was flexible with my hours, I typically had 35 hours a week.
Have you heard of the Affordable Care Act? Today an employee with 30 hours per week of work is considered full time by the government, with hefty fees and responsibility to the employer. Very few new retail hires will ever be scheduled for more than 25-28 hours per week to keep well below that cap.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:47 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,247,261 times
it's tough for employers. Can't find decent help because the decent help is snatched up by higher paying places. If you're in the middle of no-where and there just aren't any other jobs you could be picky but from the point of view of the workers it's just not worth the time and effort to work at a place where they are going to send you home early on a rainy day because there's no business and then call you back when business picks up later in the day.

Opportunity cost of working through the day vs being on-call is high. it's a catch-22, company needs to save on costs if possible.

I go to a chain mexican restaurant roughly once a month and the workers there are never the same people. I would guess they have to train people every week or two.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:58 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
When I worked pt retail, I never had a problem securing more hours. As long as I showed up. Was flexible with my hours, I typically had 35 hours a week.

Opposite of my experience. The more socially popular associates tended to get the hours, even if they called off or didn't show up. And if you do take the job seriously, they look at you even stranger.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:16 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Our son picked up his first job in June. It is not retail but in an upscale eating place. He has two friends that work there and they told the manager about him. He applied and was hired. He started washing dishes and the 24 year old guy that works there told him to slow down. They don't only wash dishes but do other things around the place. This guy told our son that he could slow down because no one was going to take their jobs. This guy told our son that he could get away with anything because no one wanted to wash dishes in a restaurant. Our son kept working hard and within two weeks the manager made him a bus boy, which was better because you get part of the tips. Within three weeks of that the manager told him that he was going to be a server, which is where the real tips come in. Our son did what other older people failed to do, because he worked hard and was rewarded for that. I have always went in to work early, He does the same thing. His boss told him that many younger people fail to do that, they fail to put effort in. Now he has been there since June, loves working there, and is making some good money for that kind of job.

I bring that up because I am thinking that many younger people just do not have the work ethic in them.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:36 AM

124 posts, read 149,829 times
If the business community could push through a law to make the illegal aliens legal so they could all work without worrying about fake documents, then the market would be overwhelmed with new labor so they could go back to $8 an hour.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:41 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Retail has an extremely high turnover, walk off, and call out rate.

You can be an average at best worker but simply being able to be relied upon to show up everyday(and come in when they need you for OT) and you won't get fired unless you do something outrageous
As a former retail manager I can agree with this. Had some employees not want to come in on time if at all. Those who really put forth effort stand out and can often rise up the ranks if they stay though that was hard to find in my experience . its just tge nature of retail as a whole.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:42 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Have you heard of the Affordable Care Act? Today an employee with 30 hours per week of work is considered full time by the government, with hefty fees and responsibility to the employer. Very few new retail hires will ever be scheduled for more than 25-28 hours per week to keep well below that cap.
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to point this out. The ACA (a.k.a. Obamacare) has made it prohibitively expensive to employ someone for 30 hours per week or more. Thus, most retail employees will not be scheduled for anything greater than about 25 hours per week or so.

The law of unintended consequences is about as firm and unforgiving as the law of gravity. Try to break it at your peril.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:49 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Sounds like something I'm Retired Now would make up, but that can't be the case...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment