Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 09:35 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,220,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzlea View Post
I'm a woman in my late 20s. Not really an outdoorsy person but would like to do something that would keep me active. I live in New England and I've always been interested in visiting DC. No real reason besides the large population of young professionals, free museums. My problem is that it's just so ridiculously expensive. Train fares are around $300 and hotels are outrageous. I'm starting to look at hostels but I don't know much about those. Any other suggestions?
DC is not expensive when you think about it. First off, don't know what part of New England, but Boston to Dulles is only about $175 round trip for a flight.

Second.. DC's metro is one of the best in the world. With the silver line in operation, though I don't know the specifics of it.. You don't stay in DC.. You stay in Reston or Fairfax or even out to Manassas, which means you'll be close to the Battlefield.. If you rent a car, you can take a day trip out to Luray.. Perhaps the most beautiful caverns on the continent (Apologies to Carlsbad).. Dulles is also where the Air and Space annex is..

But, if you take the metro into DC.. You've got the Air and Space, Natural History, American history, the Washington Monument, the mall itself, Jefferson and Lincoln memorials.. Go to the "mint" (Engraving and Printing) and see money being made.. The National Zoo. Various art museums.. Go tour the capitol, walk by the white house (Don't do the tour unless it's an ambition, it's just as good to walk by outside), the archives, Vietnam and various other memorials.. And everything mentioned in this paragraph, with the exception of about $5 for the metro fare.. Total cost = $0

So, while your hotel might be a bit pricey.. You'll save everywhere else.

Honestly, I about crapped myself when I went to Chicago and the Feld museum wanted $40 to get in the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 10:35 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,279 times
Be sure to check out the Smithsonian Calendar - it lists lectures, demonstrations and workshops available on any given day - most of them are free
Calendar for the D.C. Area & New York City | Events | Smithsonian

Each of the Smithsonian Museums has highlight tours that let you skim the museum and find areas you want to further explore.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:21 AM

6,568 posts, read 4,960,720 times
I'm more of a country girl (also live in New England). If I had that option I'd head to points south and just start driving around. I did DC once in the mid-80s, on the way down to FL. We drove in, no idea where we parked, and then walked around all day and headed out that evening. Not sure I'd do it again.

Last time I worked at a place that started a use it or lose it policy (after years of allowing us to bank them), I took every Friday off for 4 months. I spent summer and fall working at the barn I was riding at in exchange for a lesson (3 hours of back breaking work gave me a 30 minute private lesson but I loved it!). Then I worked on my house.

It was really hard to go back to 5 day work weeks when my time ran out!

I agree not to sell it back. When I was your age I was more interested in working. I had a new car with paid time off and I could've done so much. Instead I just worked. Now I have PT jobs, no paid time off and a very old car, and I make sure I go somewhere every couple of years. I wish I'd done it more when I was younger. I am running out of places to explore in a 10-12 hour radius though!

Old 10-28-2015, 08:58 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
I'd probably go on vacation!

Old 10-28-2015, 09:12 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
We're allowed to roll over each year, meaning some people who have worked here 10-15 years have HUNDREDS of hours at their disposal.

I know one guy who saves his up so that from early June through late August he can take off every Monday and Friday so that he can help his SAH wife with the kids during the summer (they have elementary school-aged triplets).

I know another woman who saves hers up to the max and then just starts taking "mental health days" here and there. She doesn't go anywhere, but just enjoys having random days off from work that AREN'T for doctors appointments or being sick.

If I had hundreds of hours saved up, I'd probably do the buy-back program that Hemlock140 talked about (we have that as well - but you have to plan for it a year in advance).

As for travel - consider AirBnB to find a place to stay in DC versus a hotel. This way you can have access to a kitchen and cook your own meals instead of eating out all the time. And if it is within a 7-10 hour drive, I'd say just drive there. DC can be tricky - one block will be gorgeous, the next block will be dangerous (I lived and worked in the area for years). I'd second the recommendation to stay just outside the city in Alexandria or Crystal City, with plans to take the Metro into the city. However, if you want to stay inside DC, consider Georgetown, Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle - those areas all have great vibes with tons of entertainment options.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:53 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,467,632 times
I have enough hobbies that I just take a day off here and there and relax. My G/F calls it a "Mike Day". She goes to work, and I just sit and do whatever I want. Sometimes it will be something very productive. Sometimes i'll go work on the car. Sometimes golf. Sometimes yard work, and sometimes just sit on the couch and watch TV and get Chinese food takeout.

Vacations? Meh. One week in Maine is all I need but honestly it's too much work to plan and coordinate.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:56 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,024 times
I would take every Monday and/or Friday off. You get the benefit of a "mini vacation" and it does not cost you or the employer anything.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:06 PM

780 posts, read 678,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzlea View Post
I have a decent amount of vacation days to use but I have no idea how to use it. Coworkers are always asking me when I'm taking my vacation because everyone's taken at least a 2 week vacation by now I live close to family members but I don't have anyone who can go on vacation with me right now. I really don't mind doing a staycation since it saves me money but I tend to spend way too much time at home so I feel it's a good idea to plan for a get away this time.

I'm a woman in my late 20s. Not really an outdoorsy person but would like to do something that would keep me active. I live in New England and I've always been interested in visiting DC. No real reason besides the large population of young professionals, free museums. My problem is that it's just so ridiculously expensive. Train fares are around $300 and hotels are outrageous. I'm starting to look at hostels but I don't know much about those. Any other suggestions?
If you want cheaper place to stay at, consider AirBnB. My coworkers use it when they travel and they also rent out their own apartments (both female around this age).

I've had the same dilemma as you, don't have anyone to go with and don't really want to stay out. I was "forced" to take 1 week, mainly because things didn't go as planned and I actually lost money on bought plane tickets that I couldn't even get a refund on...long story...so anywho, I feel your pain on tight budget and what not.

Things you can do during your staycation:

- Wardrobe clean-up (it's time consuming to do this), look through your closet and do a clean-up
- House clean-up (take this moment to scrub down every corner of your place)
- Be a tourist in your own city (pretend you're a tourist, what can you do in your area...there is always something you can find) or drive off to the next closest tourisy spot that you can think of....just Google away
- Create something (do a one day project, like bake something that takes a while to make?)
- Finish task (you probably have things you've always put at the back of your head thinking you should do, but don't have the time to)
- Go on Groupon.com and check out deals on activities you can do near you (I have a sad obsession with Groupon lol).

Sometimes, when I have a day off, I will get ready as if I'm going on a date and walk around places, mall, local book store, local stores, go to a nice pastry/coffee shop and just spend a couple of hours there.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:33 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,564 times
Depends on your budget... are you not going to DC or traveling because you can't afford to or because you see no point in it?

In my earlier days at work (early 20's) I spent my lil vacation I had by using it for doctor visit, random day off, shopping trip, friends wedding. I was also studying part time so exam time I took vacation to study. I only had 2 week vacation and those got used up pretty easily. If you take 1 day off per month, and then few more you are there.

Then in my mid 20's I discovered traveling and was addicted to it. My vacation also went up to 3 weeks giving me some extra time to play with but I still seem to eat thru the days. I traveled for work and used to add few vacation day to stay extra and explore new cities. It cost money, even if my flight was covered by work. But I figure YOLO & I set aside $500/trip.

My favorite time of vacation is random Wednesday off to walk in the park, go shopping, and sit in café. It just nice to give yourself that break

Old 10-28-2015, 12:51 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,642,357 times
Set up a group tour somewhere interesting. That way you're not alone all the time and may meet some people you'd like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment