Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 08:24 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Assuming this thread is for real, many of you are getting hung up on the fact that companies don't give bereavement days for an uncle. The OP didn't say he was trying to get a bereavement day, he was trying to use accumulated PTO.

We aren't 'hung up'.

Someone posted a ridiculous link to FMLA, which has absolutely nothing to do with this situation. That's where the deviation began.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 08:29 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Employment at will is a concept very difficult for the new arrivals to the work force to understand
They want to talk about civil rights laws and labor law and employer obligations and employer ethics

Old 10-29-2015, 08:58 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,127 times
Quote:
Assuming this thread is for real, many of you are getting hung up on the fact that companies don't give bereavement days for an uncle. The OP didn't say he was trying to get a bereavement day, he was trying to use accumulated PTO.
I think bereavement was brought up because the OP (who still hasn't come back) raised that in his/her original post. They said, "since I earned the PTO, aren't I entitled to take it?" (my paraphrase) then, they used their uncle's condition as justification.

It has been clarified that PTO is not an entitlement. But certain types of leave are, depending on the size/policies of the organization. Bereavement Leave is one of them. FMLA is another. The OP likely does not qualify for either. Which puts us back to the question of is he/she entitled to leave, and did the owner act appropriately. There are kinds of judgements being tossed around, but the reality is that we don't know the circumstances.

Based on what has been provided in terms of background, I can imagine a scenario where OP, who is no stranger to finding creative ways to take time off, calls up at the last minute and says he/she needs to take some time off because their uncle is dying. This situation puts the business in a awkward position. When owner tells him/her they can't accommodate the leave, and OP becomes entitled, and owner says, "do what you want, but if you don't come in today, don't worry about coming back."

Is that what happened? I don't know, but it is one of the few plausible scenarios that I can come up with to make sense out of what would otherwise appear to be a very strange response.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:06 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
All of that is true, but it's still heartless and not a way to retain good employees.
I totally agree, but the OP is there of her own accord...

Old 10-29-2015, 10:12 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
OP really didn't give enough details, but it sounds like they wanted last minute unscheduled time off to visit a dying uncle, which isn't acceptable or excused at most places. Not that it's right but that's just the way it is.
Years ago I had a sibling undergo risky brain surgery and was not allowed to take vacation time to take off to visit before and during the surgery, although I was told that if he didn't make it I would be allowed funeral leave. Companies are funny that way.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:44 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
I will add that if a company is on the razor edge that one employee leaving for a day is going to push them into the red then perhaps they should be allowed to fail. A good solid business model should be to do well in real life and should not be built on the assumption that people are robots. 99.9% of peoples jobs are not army snipers where they have to be in position that exact moment of that exact day. typically those types of jobs are for the glory anyways as most people are only in that good of shape and state of mind for a small fraction of these lives.

What ever happens in our govt in 2016 labor laws have to be revisited and drastically rewritten. Companies are not doing it on their own so unfortunately they will have to be forced. These companies are getting to do business in MY country too and others are out defending their right to do so, why should they have the legal right to act like dictators?

Its not like these companies fought off the natives and literally built everything from scratch so why are they allowed to act as such?

If we got tough on lending as a country it would put a stop to all these marginal buisnesses poping up as well, if your business plan is anything short of genious you should not be getting monster loans. You should have property picked out (if the model needs it) and you BUY it, you don't lease it or rent it for some astronomical rates. If they cleaned up lending it would fundamentally change our nation for the better. Strip mall slum lords would not be too happy lol.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:47 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
It ought to be criminal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
OP really didn't give enough details, but it sounds like they wanted last minute unscheduled time off to visit a dying uncle, which isn't acceptable or excused at most places. Not that it's right but that's just the way it is.
Years ago I had a sibling undergo risky brain surgery and was not allowed to take vacation time to take off to visit before and during the surgery, although I was told that if he didn't make it I would be allowed funeral leave. Companies are funny that way.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:13 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
I think bereavement was brought up because the OP (who still hasn't come back) raised that in his/her original post. They said, "since I earned the PTO, aren't I entitled to take it?" (my paraphrase) then, they used their uncle's condition as justification.

It has been clarified that PTO is not an entitlement. But certain types of leave are, depending on the size/policies of the organization. Bereavement Leave is one of them. FMLA is another. The OP likely does not qualify for either. Which puts us back to the question of is he/she entitled to leave, and did the owner act appropriately. There are kinds of judgements being tossed around, but the reality is that we don't know the circumstances.

Based on what has been provided in terms of background, I can imagine a scenario where OP, who is no stranger to finding creative ways to take time off, calls up at the last minute and says he/she needs to take some time off because their uncle is dying. This situation puts the business in a awkward position. When owner tells him/her they can't accommodate the leave, and OP becomes entitled, and owner says, "do what you want, but if you don't come in today, don't worry about coming back."

Is that what happened? I don't know, but it is one of the few plausible scenarios that I can come up with to make sense out of what would otherwise appear to be a very strange response.
Not to belabor the point, but the OP never mentioned 'bereavement' or even inferred it in his post. He wanted time off to visit the dying uncle before, or perhaps during, the termination of life support. That's not bereavement. He made a last minute request for PTO which (again if this is for real) that was (heartlessly) denied.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:45 PM

772 posts, read 913,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rostella01 View Post
So I am just curious..... I have worked at a salaried position for over 3 years. Never taking a day off without being scheduled, or being injured with a doctors orders to stay off work ( and even that has only happened twice) 2 weeks ago I called and explained to my boss my uncle was dying and they were taking him off of life support and wanted to take one of my PTO days to go so that I could be there, and she told me if I went I would be fired..... Please note I had 127 hours of available PTO time..... Is this even legal??? Obviously it's mean and hateful, but can someone even do that if you have PTO time available??? If it's given can I not use it to call in sick, or for personal situations that arise? Isn't that it's whole purpose???

The thing is there are two businesses owned one is a restaurant and one is a business office. Since I am the only one that can run the restaurant I'm almost forced to never take time off because no one can fill in for me but I know this would never be an issue with her business person now because there are many people that can do those jobs it just doesn't seem right .....
Any light????

Once again ... .. . . . ..

EVERYONE HATES UNIONS. .. ..

guess what ? I have 8 days a year I can call in, unpaid, without permission. ... thank you again union, for negotiating that for me !

Old 10-29-2015, 02:59 PM

323 posts, read 377,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
It ought to be criminal.
Along the lines of this post, my wife's hospital gives them PTO, and has them schedule off time a minimum of 3 months in advance. They'll let them know within a week if the time is "accepted". Once that is done, you will not be told if the time off is approved until the schedule for that week comes out, at the end of the prior pay period.

This means that a vacation planned 12 months in advance can be denied with less than 24 hours notice if your departure time was the first day of a new pay period.

In addition, you're allowed one day off for sickness every 45 days, using your PTO. If you call in sick more than that, you're written up, regardless of if you can provide a doctor's note.

Of course, management doesn't abide by any of these rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment