Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 08:51 PM

11,242 posts, read 18,711,826 times

Advertisements

Usually it is the state you WORK in that gives you unemployment, not the state you LIVE in. So Texas would be giving you unemployment anyway and you won't be able to collect it on that reason. I know this from experience both my wife and I live in NY and lost jobs in CT and got unemployment from the latter state, not the former.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 09:46 PM

147 posts, read 314,472 times
Not likely. The company does not want their unemployment insurance premiums to increase. One scenario where you may be able to ask to be laid off is when the company is looking to downsize and offers buyout options for people to leave. But I'm thinking this isn't the scenario here.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:54 AM

6,749 posts, read 5,425,677 times
Kyle, Kyle, Kyle:

WHY would you ask an employer to lay you just because you are "not happy" with the management? You want out NOT because you are far away from family, but because you can't stand your manager!

1} THEY {and any company nowadays} will FIGHT your unenjoyment, and may win as you ASKED them to lay you off..you basically are QUITTING, and won't qualify for unenjoyment. many companies HIRE a company who specializes in fighting unenjoyment claims to fight on their behalf to reduce their unenjoyment plan premiums.

2} A F 200 company MAY have something close to where you family is? CAN you transfer instead?

3} As mentioned, GET A JOB first in the new locale of family first,then quit.

4} If you screw up on purpose to get them to pay unenjoyment,see #1, they will claim you contributed to your termination, and you won't get a dime.

5} try to get along with your manager, you didn't say WHY you don't him/her?

6} work hard, extra hours if you can, save save save a years worth of pay and then quit and move to the family and look for new job.

7) Remember you wnat a GOOD reference from your most recent employer!

8} your dissatisfaction with the manager and the fact you are far from "family home" is the cause of your desire to leave, NOT THE COMPANY'S fault! YOU MADE your choices, NOw either live with them, or DO something about it, but don't expect your {soon to be former} employer to foot the bill for YOUR choices!

BEst of luck to you

P.S.: IF they are LOOKING FOR VOLUNTEERS for lay-offs, and your department qualifies, you can then ASK to be laid off, but usually comes with a severance package, NOT unenjoyment.

Old 11-03-2015, 04:36 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,122,225 times
My first job was working for a large corporation and my girlfriend at the time moved 600 mi away to attend grad school. The company was a defense contractor and they were laying off people left and right (this was the early 90s at the beginning of a recession) so I asked to be laid off so I could have a nice, soft landing in Detroit and be with my girl. I was close friends with my manager so he made up a story that I wanted to go to Michigan to finish my degree. Upper management bought the ruse and they let me go. They gave my position to a dude with 2 little kids so he needed the work. I left feeling pretty good. Found a great job making more money just about 6 months later.

It's possible but it all depends on the situation. I'm still with the girl too, so that worked out.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:10 PM

124 posts, read 148,924 times
Go to your bosses manager and complain about your supervisor. He/she will listen politely and you will be fired in a few weeks. Because you could say you complained to better the company you will be eligible for unemployment benefits.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:14 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,745,084 times
OP, how old are you? Do you really think being on unemployment is fun?

Its not.

Keep your job, look for something else and move on from there.

You're the reason why the DoL stepped up their policies in the first place.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:44 AM

17 posts, read 26,133 times
Lazy dregs on society. Why should they pay your wage when u leave?

Old 11-07-2015, 10:48 PM

13,043 posts, read 20,698,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I am not in HR, but if you are let go for performance reasons, I believe that is akin to firing. Unemployment comes in when you are released in spite of you meeting all your job requirements. If you don't meet job requirements, then you are released 'for cause'. In almost any ''for cause' firing, though, there will be a period of probation between your initial sub-par review and your firing, during which you will have some goals to achieve to allow you to retain your job. If you believe that your job requirements are essentially impossible to achieve, than you can take your firing to the unemployment commission for arbitration.
Actually, the standard is "misconduct". The term "for cause" is a variation of "Just Cause", the standard used by unemployment for quits.

Even with misconduct, some states (like NJ) has simple and gross misconduct. A simple misconduct denial is not an actual denial of benefits but something like a seven week delay before you can claim your first check.

In many states, performance standards such as sale quotas or speed isn't an automatic disqualifier so long as the person has tried, is doing their best, hasn't performed to standards or just plain old can't do the work. They are granted benefits because there was no misconduct involved. Further, there are those citizen states where the employer has to show some harm. Yes the person was 2 minutes late but how did that harm the company?

If you read the unemployment sub-forum, you'l read case after case of people being fired for doing something wrong yet got approved for benefits on appeal because the action, although just for termination, does not rise to the statutory definition of misconduct associated with the claimants work.

Now, the state pretty much couldn't care less if a person was fired for misconduct associated with their employment but the company says they were laid off because in the end, it's the company that is footing the bill anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment