Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 08:04 AM

124 posts, read 149,287 times

Advertisements

In my experience many employers want to hire someone on their way up, vs. someone who wants to take a job that pays less than what they are making and with less responsibilities.

So if there is an opening for a Staff Accountant, the employer would prefer a candidate who is currently a Junior Staff Accounting who works hard, is impressive and now ready for a promotion. Or someone who is currently a Staff Accountant. BUT IS THIS ALWAYS TRUE?

If they are advertising for a Staff Accountant that pays $50,000 a year and the job requirements say they want someone with a degree and 3-5 years experience in Accounting, and a burned out 50 year old Accounting Manager, making $85,000 a year, who is tired of managment and the pressures of a senior role applied, would they be considered seriously? Would an employer ever take a leap of faith and hire the $85K Accounting Manager for the $50K Staff Accounting Manager job?

(I use Accounting for this example, but it could be any career field)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 08:16 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,706,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Discussion View Post
Would an employer ever take a leap of faith and hire the $85K Accounting Manager for the $50K Staff Accounting Manager job?
Yes.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Yes.
Why? As someone who was a manager myself, one side of me says great, get experience at a discount. But the other side says that the ex manager would get bored and soon realize they were too qualified for this routine job and did not like making less money and would quit after a short while.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:22 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,706,569 times
Quote:
Why?
Experience at a discount.

Why WOULDN'T they???

Old 10-29-2015, 08:24 AM

6,426 posts, read 9,755,801 times
I would never hire the OP for any job regardless of experience. I wouldn't know which persona the OP would be on a given day lol

Old 10-29-2015, 08:42 AM

6,389 posts, read 4,092,192 times
As a middle manager, my experience with people who think they are overqualified for their position is their work often times are full of errors. It is not that they are incompetent. It is that they don't care about work they consider beneath them.

Here is one example I have out of many. I was hired by my current company for one purpose: to replace someone and fix the messes that he created. For month, I just assumed he was incompetent. Lately, I have been looking into his background and I have found that he was indeed overqualified for the job description. He simply couldn't find another job in his range after his previous company tanked so he settled for this one. This company's upper management probably thought they were getting a good deal.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:43 AM

6,389 posts, read 4,092,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I would never hire the OP for any job regardless of experience. I wouldn't know which persona the OP would be on a given day lol
Is he retired now?

Old 10-29-2015, 09:19 AM

633 posts, read 637,509 times
Quote:
In my experience many employers want to hire someone on their way up, vs. someone who wants to take a job that pays less than what they are making and with less responsibilities.

So if there is an opening for a Staff Accountant, the employer would prefer a candidate who is currently a Junior Staff Accounting who works hard, is impressive and now ready for a promotion. Or someone who is currently a Staff Accountant. BUT IS THIS ALWAYS TRUE?

If they are advertising for a Staff Accountant that pays $50,000 a year and the job requirements say they want someone with a degree and 3-5 years experience in Accounting, and a burned out 50 year old Accounting Manager, making $85,000 a year, who is tired of managment and the pressures of a senior role applied, would they be considered seriously? Would an employer ever take a leap of faith and hire the $85K Accounting Manager for the $50K Staff Accounting Manager job?

(I use Accounting for this example, but it could be any career field)
It depends. it's possible but not all that likely. Clearly the 50 year old can do the job asked (its a risk with younger or inexperienced employees) however-

1.) When you're looking at that kind of a financial hit, there's a risk that the 50 year old may be in dire straits and taking the first job that comes along, only to jump ship when he finds something else, or his financial situation improves. Younger employees are typically invested for a longer haul, especially if they see room for advancement.

2.) senior employees that end up taking lower level positions can be VERY difficult to manage. They may resent taking direction from someone who knows less than they do, has less years in the field, fewer certifications, etc. No manager likes to be undermined by those they supervise, and this one happens a lot.

I've rarely seen managers take this risk for a position that isn't very difficult to fill.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:25 AM

This seems like the most logical analysis of my question so far. Anyone disagree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post
It depends. it's possible but not all that likely. Clearly the 50 year old can do the job asked (its a risk with younger or inexperienced employees) however-

1.) When you're looking at that kind of a financial hit, there's a risk that the 50 year old may be in dire straits and taking the first job that comes along, only to jump ship when he finds something else, or his financial situation improves. Younger employees are typically invested for a longer haul, especially if they see room for advancement.

2.) senior employees that end up taking lower level positions can be VERY difficult to manage. They may resent taking direction from someone who knows less than they do, has less years in the field, fewer certifications, etc. No manager likes to be undermined by those they supervise, and this one happens a lot.

I've rarely seen managers take this risk for a position that isn't very difficult to fill.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:39 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,196,880 times
Quote:
Why? As someone who was a manager myself, one side of me says great, get experience at a discount. But the other side says that the ex manager would get bored and soon realize they were too qualified for this routine job and did not like making less money and would quit after a short while.
Sounds like questions that should be asked during the interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment