Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2015, 09:52 PM

3,329 posts, read 1,961,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I think she has been hurt a lot and does not trust easily.
Do you say this sort of thing about her behind her back while you are "just being friendly" ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 11:23 PM

483 posts, read 691,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfrommars View Post
Every business ive worked at, the people who were all pro, all business no smiles/always lump in a logs were called Aholes, and get this, they were usually the first to go during reorganizations, since unsurprisingly, most people do not want to work around folks like that.
FWIW, I've often thought, this dumbing down of the workplace culture, where everything has to be a frat party, could be why America's economy is in a permanent quasi-recession, only we won't "know" it for decades.

Why do I think this?

Because, when you're spending 3 hours on one day alone, either listening to, or participating in, people yammering nonstop about such weighty, business-appropriate topics as Joss Whedon's entire oeuvre and where/whom the cute clients are (a literal situation in which I've been); it's not tough to figure out that these yammerers aren't actually transacting any business, making client connections, or doing anything to justify the company paying their salaries. Frankly, I think those people SHOULD be the first ones on a chopping block.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:45 PM

146 posts, read 213,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskittytalks View Post
FWIW, I've often thought, this dumbing down of the workplace culture, where everything has to be a frat party, could be why America's economy is in a permanent quasi-recession, only we won't "know" it for decades.

Why do I think this?

Because, when you're spending 3 hours on one day alone, either listening to, or participating in, people yammering nonstop about such weighty, business-appropriate topics as Joss Whedon's entire oeuvre and where/whom the cute clients are (a literal situation in which I've been); it's not tough to figure out that these yammerers aren't actually transacting any business, making client connections, or doing anything to justify the company paying their salaries. Frankly, I think those people SHOULD be the first ones on a chopping block.
Well, fwiw what youre describing is a far cry from working in a friendly/jovial environment.
Thats called an unproductive work environment, not a place where everyones a " good fit. "

At my job now, we all get along, go out to lunch, some of us even hang out outside of hours, we work in a niche field, so we have friendships develop from previous jobs/etc.

Everyone is in good spirits, we talk Football/life/etc but get our jobs done, deadlines are met, and when theyre not, everyone kicks it into high gear, we have a good thing going and dont want to **** it up.
Thats how every job should be.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:00 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
You still don't get it do you. You are not acting professional. Your position is one that has direct contact with the customers/clients, etc. You are there to act in a professional way, not to just talk to everyone and discuss anything except what is appropriate and necessary to help them conduct business with the company. You are not there for you to talk and visit with them, and distract from what they are at the company to conduct business, etc.

The customer/client is not there to discuss your personal life, or the fact you have rescued some kittens. That has nothing to do with what they are contacting your company for. Believe me, they could care less about your personal life, or your kittens. Things like that are the last thing they are interested in.

It is more than your personality involved. You are distracting them from what they are at the business to do. It is also distracting for other employees, and keeps them from doing their job.

The reason managers may have gotten fired, was they did not keep you in line and do your job and quit all the jabbering you are doing. The new manager, may very well have been instructed by her superiors to get you in line, or if you don't you will probably be the first person she fires.

I have had employees like you, that just cannot be professional in a professional setting, and have had their immediate manager talk to them and get them in line. If they did not change, the next instruction the manager would be given by me, is to fire you.

And they have grounds to do so. It is permissible to fire an employee, that cannot conduct business with their customers and clients in a professional manner. You definitely are not doing so.

It is not your personality that will get you fired, it is your lack of professional attitude conducting business with the people you come in contact with.

You have warned and placed on official notice, that you have three choices, and which one you take will be up to you. 1: Stop being the chatterbox that has to have a conversation with everyone you come into contact with that you call being friendly, and become a professional in an office setting. 2: Quit your job and go somewhere else. 3: Keep doing as you have been done and be fired.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:20 AM

483 posts, read 691,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfrommars View Post
Well, fwiw what youre describing is a far cry from working in a friendly/jovial environment.
Thats called an unproductive work environment, not a place where everyones a " good fit. "

At my job now, we all get along, go out to lunch, some of us even hang out outside of hours, we work in a niche field, so we have friendships develop from previous jobs/etc.

Everyone is in good spirits, we talk Football/life/etc but get our jobs done, deadlines are met, and when theyre not, everyone kicks it into high gear, we have a good thing going and dont want to **** it up.
Thats how every job should be.
I disagree; I mean clearly I do not disagree, because I'm the one who can't function with noise, but as far as they are concerned, these people do find wittering on for 3 hours to be "friendly and jovial". It's not friendly and jovial to me, and clearly wouldn't be to you either; but plenty of schools of workplace, introversion/extroversion thought, say it's my fault for objecting to this, and that I need to "change and adjust", like I haven't been trying to do so in various open offices for 15-20 years now. "Extroverts NEED noise, and can't function with all this icky... QUIET."

Old 10-31-2015, 03:20 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,033,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enraeh View Post
Do you say this sort of thing about her behind her back while you are "just being friendly" ?
No. It was just something I figured out based on things she has said.

When I am talking to customers, it is because they are in my office waiting to be gathered and taken to another area of the building. I am not holding them up from anything. I find it awkward to have people sitting in front of my desk, while I work, in silence. Why not ask them how their day is? Did they travel far? How do they like the weather? Clearly it would be different if they were working on a laptop or on a phone. But nope, they are literally sitting and waiting.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:23 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,033,533 times
Yesterday was a very quiet day. If that is how they want the office, that is how it will be. Sterile and impersonal. You could hear a pin drop.

We can have no music either.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:57 AM

146 posts, read 213,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Yesterday was a very quiet day. If that is how they want the office, that is how it will be. Sterile and impersonal. You could hear a pin drop.

We can have no music either.
Il say it until the day Im buried or cremated, the Rich are the only people who truly " live. "

They dont have to put up with the stupidity of a " working life. "

Old 10-31-2015, 04:26 AM

387 posts, read 871,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Holy crap the assumptions on here. Someone makes a claim based on an assumption, and then everyone runs with it as if it were truth. Badgering this person is not helping her. I see the same people, over and over again, in many forums, being aholes to people who post.

Come on over to P&OC if you want a real battle, otherwise, go fix your bitter little lives and stop taking it out on people who post looking for advice.

How some of you get away with being so nasty, constantly, makes me want to puke.
agree - there's some bullying going on here.
Blatant stupid assumptions - the OP chats non stop all day, the OP is stalking her boss on the way home.

I think the OP needs to look for another job - maybe different work ? sales ?buyer in another industry.
It's a shame she lives in a small town as she may have fewer choices and is understandably not keen to undertake the big commute again.
I think she should start selling something to tide her over until finds the right fit. Tupperware ? Avon etc - the OP might be good at selling this kind of stuff

Old 10-31-2015, 04:35 AM

832 posts, read 1,417,489 times
OP, I did read all the posts.

I am sorry to say this, but it seems to me that you are the one with the issues.

The company has already done everything they can to deal with you. They relocated you to an area that is less distracting to your co-workers and yet would still allow you interaction with others, they gave you alternative duties, they demoted you and they put a barrier between you and your boss with the demotion.

There is the issue of following your boss and being curious about her personal affairs that I find disturbing. On one post you claim that you always follow each other in and out of work. But in another post you claim that you're there before her and leave after her. In your mind maybe this is going above and beyond. But in my mind, based on everything you've said, you're only seconds before anyone else. In a 40 hour work week is less than 5 minutes total. Nothing to write home about. Furthermore, it strikes me that the only reason you do this is so you can speak with everyone on their way in and also on their way out.

In other posts, you speak of being bored with your life and look to your co-workers for something to talk about. Apparently being a single mother of two does not occupy your mind sufficiently. I wonder then, why "single mothers" are the media rage. Surely you have something to think about other than kittens you found months earlier? Surely being a single mom of two means that you're not following the same road as your boss every day because you have two children that you have to pick up/drop off, groceries to pick up, bills to pay, gas to pump, etc.

If you could do your boss' job and your own with no problems, then you would have been the one "promoted" instead of her. But you weren't. That speaks volumes more than any claims you might make of her being jealous or you being an excellent worker. You've already been assigned duties that would seem mundane and unrelated, such as cleaning out a kitchenette. I can't see a company of 25 people needing the kitchen cleaned 3-4 times a day and I suspect you only do it in the hopes of chat-trapping an unwary person looking for a quick cup of coffee. Poor person. Unlike you, it seems they actually do have work to do and can not afford to chat for 20 minute intervals about kittens or frozen pipes or stalker ex-boyfriends trying to kill them.

As someone already said, the ADD is yours not theirs, while no one cares about kittens you found two months ago or your frozen pipe drama or your ex boyfriend who may or may not really exist. I don't see how your being trapped in a small town with nothing to do but nose around other people's affairs and gossip should be any one else's problem. But you are making it everyone's problem. If your job stinks, then go back to school. I don't care about your commute. It's irrelevant if you had any motivation to do something other than wipe down the break room looking for someone's ear to chew off. It's two hours a day that maybe something else more exciting will happen to you. More kittens. More exes. More kids. Who know? Who cares? Are you an adult who lives on your own with two kids, or do you live with kids in your parents basement claiming their frozen pipes as your own?

We all love to work with a bubbly person, but it sounds like your bubbles doth run over and you're fairly close to being fired for inability to stay on task.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment