U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-01-2008, 09:13 AM

8,640 posts, read 14,775,749 times

Advertisements

I formerly worked in a call center that towards the end had a rule much like that. They monitored your time off on the phone and if you went over, you had to explain the "overage" to your supervisor.

Personally, my take is that everyone can do what they need to do, but IMHO, life is too short to work at a place where the structure is that rigid. I know people need jobs sometimes desperately but I think I would at least be on the hunt for something else. For a long time I made the assumption that I would have trouble finding another job. Actually, that didn't turn out to be true.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 10:29 AM

5,244 posts, read 3,119,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Well, in a way, they don't. I have a supervisor who is trying to get on me due to this:
I work in a call center where you are allowed 2 15 minute breaks, usually every 2 hours. The goal, for the whole shift is to have no more than 30 minutes of break time for the whole day. . Other than that, you are, basically, at least, harrased and reminded that you cannot use more than 30 minutes of break time at all for anything. If you do, you are expected to cut minutes on your 15 minute breaks.
Does this seem oppressive? Does anyone else have a similiar experience at a job (particulary a call center)? Futhermore, the supervisors who enforce this, often take 1 smoke break every hour and it takes 2 minutes to go outside, where the restroom is right accross the way. I should not to freak out in a way because I have to use the restroom during work. Other than getting water or tea (takes about 2 minutes, not every day), I don't take break time besides the 15 minute breaks.
What should I do? It took a long time to get this job and I'm already thinking for sure about switching after 5.5 months due to rules like this.
Okay, I don't miss those days where the "break" was the big thing. I remember that you are supposed to get a 15 minute after working 2 hours, at least a 30 minute lunch break if you were working more than 6 hours, or 1 hour lunch if it was at least 8 hours.
Schedule:
8:00 arrive
10:00 am, you get 15 minutes break
12:00 pm, the lunch hour,
2:00 the 15 minutes break
5:00 leave and face traffic

The break watchers at your job really need to get a life. I don't know how many hours total you are working but if it is 8-5, your schedule should be as above. If it is not, go to HR and talk about it w/them in confidence.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:50 AM

22,284 posts, read 17,441,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
Anyone in some fields of construction will say the same. You get lunch when you get lunch, there is no 30 minutes here, 10 minutes there, you grab what you can when you (reasonably) can. We've been on jobsites where you have 3 minutes to wolf down a hot dog or hide behind a building to grab a bite here and there. Ive worked for more than one company, where this is the deal and we dont get those cushy luncheons somewhere.
That is us, it is just they way we work. (no employees). You have to learn to eat that hot dog with a shovel in your hand!

Old 02-01-2008, 01:13 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,375,858 times
Thanks for the input to all. It's just sad since I tried to get a job and this job for
like I said, almost 1 year and really don't want to go thru the job search process
again this soon. I often wonder though, since this is a call center that deals with
the airline/travel industry, if this is what it is, since the airline industry is generally
known for shoddy treatment of employees.
I don't have too much of an issue with it as long as they are just goals. One of
the places that I worked at (again a call center) only made a big issue of it if you
did not meet any of the goals (amount of time finishing a transaction for example),
however there were 4 of them and that did not happen that often to anyone. If
this place is going to hand out discipline, or cut down a raise because you used
too much "bathroom time" (and did not take it out of your scheduled break time),
that's where I may draw the line.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:13 PM

1,363 posts, read 4,156,989 times
They better hope you none of the women who work there get pregnant. LOL. I'd be fired. I'm in the bathroom at LEAST once an hour.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:50 PM

8,640 posts, read 14,775,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Thanks for the input to all. It's just sad since I tried to get a job and this job for
like I said, almost 1 year and really don't want to go thru the job search process
again this soon. I often wonder though, since this is a call center that deals with
the airline/travel industry, if this is what it is, since the airline industry is generally
known for shoddy treatment of employees.
I don't have too much of an issue with it as long as they are just goals. One of
the places that I worked at (again a call center) only made a big issue of it if you
did not meet any of the goals (amount of time finishing a transaction for example),
however there were 4 of them and that did not happen that often to anyone. If
this place is going to hand out discipline, or cut down a raise because you used
too much "bathroom time" (and did not take it out of your scheduled break time),
that's where I may draw the line.
Well, as I posted above, this was the requirements when I worked in a call center for a bank (...and I didn't like it either.) I think it may be more of an issue with call centers than an airline industry issue. It came about at the call center I previously worked with when the telephones we were using became capable of monitoring how long we were off of them..

Obviously, call centers want to maintain productivity and cut down on "customer wait time." They don't want their employees abusing the break priviledge. However, I did not find that 30 minutes total time (including bathroom breaks was quite long enough) Some days it was adequate, but sometimes it wasn't. I'm not a smoker but it still wasn't always long enough.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:30 PM

4,983 posts, read 5,317,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
Okay, I don't miss those days where the "break" was the big thing. I remember that you are supposed to get a 15 minute after working 2 hours, at least a 30 minute lunch break if you were working more than 6 hours, or 1 hour lunch if it was at least 8 hours.
Schedule:
8:00 arrive
10:00 am, you get 15 minutes break
12:00 pm, the lunch hour,
2:00 the 15 minutes break
5:00 leave and face traffic

The break watchers at your job really need to get a life. I don't know how many hours total you are working but if it is 8-5, your schedule should be as above. If it is not, go to HR and talk about it w/them in confidence.

Unless you work in a union, there is no "supposed to..."
Employers don't even have to give you a lunch break. Another myth is...if you're a full time employee, they have to give you benefits.
Lots of myths, go try to enforce them.
THey will hand you a pink slip, because there is someone else waiting to take your job.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:12 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,147,312 times
Heres what to do- next time you go to work, set an empty water bottle and a funnel on your desk. Mark it with one of those 'biohazard' stickers (make sure its large enough for the supervisor to see it). Then sit back and wait for a reaction...

Old 02-02-2008, 12:14 AM

885 posts, read 1,696,708 times
This is the typical Call-Center sweatshop mentality. I have worked in several Call-centers and they ALL do the same micromanaging tactics.

I suggest you do whatever you can to gain additional administrative skills on software packages and find a decent Admin job. Some of them even allow telecommuting. The last thing you want to do is get stuck in Call-centers.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,459 times
Default I work in a call center too

In all other respects I am a model employee but I am about to use my job for having to take a leak too often. I have to take an unschedualed bathroom break about two to three times a week. I limit my bathroom breaks to an average of about a minute and half. But for them it is too much. I am on a final warning and if I have to take a leak one more time I am gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment