Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 12:41 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,423,909 times

Advertisements

I think not allowing people to go to the restroom when they need to is violating our basic human rights. Anyone agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 03:49 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,494,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
I think not allowing people to go to the restroom when they need to is violating our basic human rights. Anyone agree?
Yes, and someone should violate their company floor and make a mess. You see, people who make up stupid rules should have to pay for it. When people go along and try so hard to bend to unreasonable, unenforceable rules, then these stupid people keep making more stupid rules. They think it makes them look smart, saving money for the company, when all they do is drive out the good workers.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:11 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,268,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Yes, and someone should violate their company floor and make a mess. You see, people who make up stupid rules should have to pay for it. When people go along and try so hard to bend to unreasonable, unenforceable rules, then these stupid people keep making more stupid rules. They think it makes them look smart, saving money for the company, when all they do is drive out the good workers.
LOL.. so true, and so sad.

Employers violate employee rights all the time. It's the American way! By God, you should be thankful you HAVE a job, you lowly worm!!

Haven't you picked up on that attitude yet?? I sure have.

I don't have the crap job anymore. I now have no job. LOL.

Anyway, my partner worked at a convenience store, and had been there about 9 months, never missed a day. Woke up one morning sick as a dog with a stomach virus. Called the boss as early as was feasible on a day she was supposed to be in at 7:30. Boss said, exact words: "YOU can't do this to ME! You get in here or you have no job!!"

So, she went in, and spent the entire shift running to and from the bathroom, breaking out into cold sweats, and at one point puking in the trash can behind the register when there was no time to run to the bathroom.

Do you think she even got to go home a little early? Nah.

This is all very common. Sick, and sad. But common. I wish I had my own business, just so I could be a DECENT boss while still making a little money.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:24 AM

15,853 posts, read 35,044,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Well, in a way, they don't. I have a supervisor who is trying to get on me due to this:
I work in a call center where you are allowed 2 15 minute breaks, usually every 2 hours. The goal, for the whole shift is to have no more than 30 minutes of break time for the whole day. . Other than that, you are, basically, at least, harrased and reminded that you cannot use more than 30 minutes of break time at all for anything. If you do, you are expected to cut minutes on your 15 minute breaks.
Does this seem oppressive? Does anyone else have a similiar experience at a job (particulary a call center)? Futhermore, the supervisors who enforce this, often take 1 smoke break every hour and it takes 2 minutes to go outside, where the restroom is right accross the way. I should not to freak out in a way because I have to use the restroom during work. Other than getting water or tea (takes about 2 minutes, not every day), I don't take break time besides the 15 minute breaks.
What should I do? It took a long time to get this job and I'm already thinking for sure about switching after 5.5 months due to rules like this.
Most likely these rules were put into place because a few people were abusing the system. It has been my experience that if you are very quick about your absences and if you talk to your supervisor and explain to him/her that you are going to be very quick about it, then usually they will understand and not raise a stink. Of course, if you have to log out of the phone system each time, then there is a record of it, and most likely MANAGEMENT is going to ask the supervisor about it. If he has a good answer ready for them then it will go better for everyone involved.

Even places with very strict rules are usually willing to accommodate a good worker. I'd just be completely open with them about it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-07-2008, 12:41 AM

389 posts, read 1,983,614 times
i worked in a call center we can go to bathroom anytime we want. thank GOD. the only thing they are strict is our 30 min lunch break.

i did experience that bathroom break nightmare rules in my other jobs though.. and it is hell on earth.. esp in my case i always have to go like frequently... so i quit. my health is more important than ANYTHING. it is not the ONLY job in the world.. i can go find another.... hmmmm i am looking for job now.. and i hope i'l get this job i was interviewed for.. not my dream job.. but my dream pay. if ever.. they hire me. or else.. hello homeless city....

Old 07-07-2008, 12:43 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,188,930 times
there is that huge and ever widening gap now days between should and is.
we need unions.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:54 AM

763 posts, read 2,255,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
we need unions.
Yeah. That way we can go ahead and finish destroying our nation quickly and get it over with.

Unions have destroyed our economy and major industries (airlines, auto, etc.) already.

Why do we need them?

Old 07-07-2008, 11:58 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,423,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgusano View Post
Yeah. That way we can go ahead and finish destroying our nation quickly and get it over with.

Unions have destroyed our economy and major industries (airlines, auto, etc.) already.

Why do we need them?
Yeah, why do we need them? I know a lot of companies that have unions and they are only interested in collecting their dues and force you to pay those dues or you lose your job. Also, I don't need a union to fight for me to go the restroom.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:16 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,044,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBSer View Post
i worked in a call center we can go to bathroom anytime we want. thank GOD. the only thing they are strict is our 30 min lunch break.

i did experience that bathroom break nightmare rules in my other jobs though.. and it is hell on earth.. esp in my case i always have to go like frequently... so i quit. my health is more important than ANYTHING. it is not the ONLY job in the world.. i can go find another.... hmmmm i am looking for job now.. and i hope i'l get this job i was interviewed for.. not my dream job.. but my dream pay. if ever.. they hire me. or else.. hello homeless city....
I'd think that this might fall into discrimination since it is a known fact that older workers and pregnant women need to use the bathroom more frequently. Smells like a lawsuit to me.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-07-2008, 12:27 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,503,787 times
Unions have their issues, but overall and realistically, they are better for employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment