Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 01:44 PM

763 posts, read 2,252,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Unions have their issues, but overall and realistically, they are better for employees.
If that's true, then why are the strongest states (economically) all right-to-work and why are the worst all forced unionism states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 03:37 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,281,631 times
"So, she went in, and spent the entire shift running to and from the bathroom, breaking out into cold sweats, and at one point puking in the trash can behind the register when there was no time to run to the bathroom."

Yeah, I am sure his customers that day would loved to have known they were infected with a stomach virus by contacting a sick employee, cause he was too tight to get someone else in there. Or he couldn't get his own butt in there.

I heard of someone who had to do this while serving in a restaurant no less! They threatened to fire her... that is just wrong. I hate tyrant bosses.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:54 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,253,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
"So, she went in, and spent the entire shift running to and from the bathroom, breaking out into cold sweats, and at one point puking in the trash can behind the register when there was no time to run to the bathroom."

Yeah, I am sure his customers that day would loved to have known they were infected with a stomach virus by contacting a sick employee, cause he was too tight to get someone else in there. Or he couldn't get his own butt in there.

I heard of someone who had to do this while serving in a restaurant no less! They threatened to fire her... that is just wrong. I hate tyrant bosses.
Oh I have more stories! LOL!

When she worked at a pizza place as a cook (she currently works at a pizza place as a cook but this was a different place, diff. manager)... she tried to call in sick when she had a bad cold/flu/whatever, got threatened with a write up if she did although she'd been there almost a year with only ONE absence prior to that.

So, she went in. Boss told her to just tie a bandana over the lower half of her face so she wouldn't cough on the pizza!

This is common, and anyone who doubts it is common has fortunately not had to work in low wage jobs.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:15 PM

389 posts, read 1,981,978 times
wow. that never happen to me. if i call in sick. it is fine. as long as you call at certain amount of time prior to your shift. actually there even was a time that i did not call in sick at all. i just didnt go. i was too sick. and no amount of money will make me go to work if i dont feel good. i called the day after.. to say that im quitting. i hate that job anyway. ALWAYS.. my health is more important. i can afford to quit like that coz i have savings. and that is why.. i save so.. if i feel that my personal well being especially my health is being compromised i can turn my back to that job in a snap.

i wonder why low wage earners put up with that threat. i personally if they give me BS when i already dont feel good... right there and then i quit! write up my arse... my understanding is.. low wage jobs is the easiest to find anyway right? so why settle for threats or BS like that? not me.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:25 PM

763 posts, read 2,252,033 times
While managing a corporate training store, I was in a position to observe many, many different places, and I never observed what you are talking about. I did observe managers who made employees go home because they were sick, but didn't want to miss work. I also observed people who called in sick at least once a week, yet were never fired. I also observed places that absenteeism was so rampant that even when it was legitimate, it was not believed.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:55 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,253,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBSer View Post
wow. that never happen to me. if i call in sick. it is fine. as long as you call at certain amount of time prior to your shift. actually there even was a time that i did not call in sick at all. i just didnt go. i was too sick. and no amount of money will make me go to work if i dont feel good. i called the day after.. to say that im quitting. i hate that job anyway. ALWAYS.. my health is more important. i can afford to quit like that coz i have savings. and that is why.. i save so.. if i feel that my personal well being especially my health is being compromised i can turn my back to that job in a snap.

i wonder why low wage earners put up with that threat. i personally if they give me BS when i already dont feel good... right there and then i quit! write up my arse... my understanding is.. low wage jobs is the easiest to find anyway right? so why settle for threats or BS like that? not me.
Because of the very nature of a low wage job. Chances are the person is making "just enough" to cover the basics. There is nothing left over to save... and if there is a chance to save it can take 6 months to a year or more to be able to save up enough to confidently tell the boss to get bent. Even with low wage jobs being easy to get (which is less true if you are older, people don't understand why you are 30 and wanting to work at the grocery store), chances are you're going to be out of work for at least 2 weeks to a month and when you're living paycheck to paycheck, the loss of that much pay can mean eviction, lights getting shut off, etc.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:09 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,483,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Because of the very nature of a low wage job. Chances are the person is making "just enough" to cover the basics. There is nothing left over to save... and if there is a chance to save it can take 6 months to a year or more to be able to save up enough to confidently tell the boss to get bent. Even with low wage jobs being easy to get (which is less true if you are older, people don't understand why you are 30 and wanting to work at the grocery store), chances are you're going to be out of work for at least 2 weeks to a month and when you're living paycheck to paycheck, the loss of that much pay can mean eviction, lights getting shut off, etc.

Very close to serfdom. You get paid enough to afford to get yourself to work each day.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:25 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,749,445 times
I was a driver at a trucking company in Indiana and the owners had locks put on the doors of the restrooms and only office personnel could use them. The otr drivers had no place to go and could not drive their trucks to a place to go since they were being unloaded which took up to 8 hrs. So they would go #1 and #2 in between the trucks and that got pretty ripe in the summer. Management could not believe what pigs the drivers were. I found out where they hid the keys and made copies and discretely gave them out. They never could figure out why the moral was so low and driver turnover was 100% since they paid such good money. I no longer work their and there is an ad in paper for drivers daily.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:56 AM

27,225 posts, read 27,290,570 times
I kinda wonder about those who work in those tiny tollbooths....

Old 07-08-2008, 11:13 AM

1,100 posts, read 3,002,800 times
You are 100% correct!! However, I have worked in a very well known call center here in S. Florida (think of a very famous credit card company that starts with the letter "A") and they were HAWKS when anyone went on a bathroom break. In fact, I remember signing out to take a bathroom break and coming back in 3 minutes (YES, I was timed.) The team leader GRILLED me on why it took me so long to come back. He then told me that the three minutes would be docked from my lunch break. I was so mad that told him to F**K OFF!!! I quit right then and there. I don't care how famous a name this company was. I refused to be treated like that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseeguy View Post
Being allowed to go to the bathroom at work is a federal regulation from OSHA. No employer can tell any employee in the United States that they can't go to the bathroom when they need to. Even on an assembly line, replacement workers have to be made available to replace workers to have to go. As far as can they subtract it from break times, that probably is up to state law on rest breaks. But if they try to say you can't go to the bathroom at all, call your local OSHA office and file an official complaint. You can tell OSHA you don't want them to give your name to your employer. OSHA will call and tell them they have to allow employees to go to the bathroom whenever they want to. If they still don't, call OSHA back and they will come there in person and probably fine them. Once you call OSHA, they take over. That is what they are there for. So if anyone is being told they can't go or to wait a really long time before being allowed to go, stand up for your rights as a human being and call OSHA. This is one of the things that seperates us from third-world sweatshops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment