Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 02:41 AM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,250 times

Advertisements

Move to Oregon. It's state law that you get breaks and lunches if you work a certain number of hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 03:42 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,552,660 times
You abide by company rules, if you cannot then the job is not going to work out for you.
Do not expect any agency to go to bat for you, you may verywell have to be searching for hopefully a better job.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:26 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,440,043 times
Let's put it this way. I have a bladder that has a mind of its own. I will go to the bathroom when I need to go to the bathroom unless, of course, they prefer me to go to the bathroom right there where I am.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:40 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,182,553 times
Talking potty

Yeah, a break is a break , a meal is a meal.
If you have to go pee, then go. And if that 'pisses' the booses off, then next time just use your trash can..and either they will be more understanding about a potty run,
or you will have one heck of a story about why you were fired...

(and would they really write pee'd in trash can on your separation notice????)

Old 07-04-2008, 04:15 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
"HR department to be an impartial party" Remember the HR departments of the company are there for the company's benefit, to keep them out of trouble/keep them legal, etc. They are not there for the employee's benefit really.
I would be in big trouble at some of these places, since I had kids my bladder control had a mind of it's own as another poster said.
I am looking for a job as I just got laid off, I will stay away from call centers for sure!

Old 07-05-2008, 01:54 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,294,082 times
What crazy crap. It's call centers, and in my experience, places like it where they hire massive amounts of drones for data entry or whatever. I worked at a place like this. I was SO excited before I started working there. The pay was really good, over the usual for data entry, and the place seemed so happy. Creepy happy. They had potlucks and parties all the time, and at first it seemed awesome.... until I realized they were treating all of us like 5 year olds.

The team leaders had desks at the front of a row of cubicles, and they'd stand up and watch us for our entire shift. We weren't allowed to do anything but check for more work, and for 6 hours of an 8 hour shift we'd be "out of work". We'd get raised eyebrows and reprimands for going to the bathroom "too often", writeups for being 1 minute late (the clocks were different from room to room and all were FASTER than anywhere else in the city!). It was ridiculous, but what made it all really bad was the favoritism. Some employees, the ones who flirted with the team leads or who knew someone or whatever would abuse all the break times, return half an hour late from lunch, hang around at the coffee 'center', without any disciplinary action.

I was eventually fired, for being less than 5 minutes late 4 times in 3 months. Once was 5 minutes, twice it was 2 minutes, once was 3 minutes, when I was on my way in and I dropped my purse in the parking lot and the contents scattered all over. I kid you not. Of course this was after my team lead told me I would never be fired for something so silly (I was hired via a staffing agency and the agency rep had called me about the tardies and so I asked directly if my job was in danger)...

I'd had a perfect attendance record (no days out) and an error free record (which NO ONE there had)... whatever. The point is, I couldn't have stood the creepy robot culture much longer anyway. It was too much. I made friends with a girl there, and she is a loudmouth, constantly joking and hamming it up, NOT working... missed every Monday due to being hungover but she's got a lot of charisma and so she's still around. I was nice, quiet, just there to do my job.

In Texas there are no rules regarding breaks. I think there used to be... because even some employers here seem to think it and will "insist" you take your break so that they don't "get in trouble". Of course I'm not going to tell them differently. LOL I know that there's no requirement for breaks though.... ask anyone in TX who works at a convenience store. Yes, there are sometimes "lulls" in the day but other times there are not, and my partner worked at one where she'd often work her entire shift without any break, it was just part of the job. Same with restaurants. She now works as a cook and works 10 hour shifts on her feet, and if she is able to squeeze in time to wolf down a meal then she's lucky. Doesn't always happen.

I even had managers when I worked FROM HOME try to limit our breaks. We worked from home!! Isn't that crazy?? They'd give us rigid schedules or time slots in which we had to put in X hours and because of the way it was structured we were often forced to be on the clock and actively working for 8 to 12 hours straight. Yes, most of us took breaks anyway, but we were paid via piece rate, so if we stepped away from the computer, we couldn't clock out but we weren't producing so our rate would drop dramatically just from getting a glass of water and going pee while "on the clock".

Old 07-06-2008, 01:12 AM

763 posts, read 2,260,521 times
I drive a school bus in a rural area. I have to figure out how to make it 3.5 hours without a restroom break. There are no objections to my stopping by the employers, but my route is the longest one of all, and there is nowhere for me to stop.

15 minutes every 2 hours should be sufficient.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:48 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
What crazy crap. It's call centers, and in my experience, places like it where they hire massive amounts of drones for data entry or whatever. I worked at a place like this. I was SO excited before I started working there. The pay was really good, over the usual for data entry, and the place seemed so happy. Creepy happy. They had potlucks and parties all the time, and at first it seemed awesome.... until I realized they were treating all of us like 5 year olds.

The team leaders had desks at the front of a row of cubicles, and they'd stand up and watch us for our entire shift. We weren't allowed to do anything but check for more work, and for 6 hours of an 8 hour shift we'd be "out of work". We'd get raised eyebrows and reprimands for going to the bathroom "too often", writeups for being 1 minute late (the clocks were different from room to room and all were FASTER than anywhere else in the city!). It was ridiculous, but what made it all really bad was the favoritism. Some employees, the ones who flirted with the team leads or who knew someone or whatever would abuse all the break times, return half an hour late from lunch, hang around at the coffee 'center', without any disciplinary action.

I was eventually fired, for being less than 5 minutes late 4 times in 3 months. Once was 5 minutes, twice it was 2 minutes, once was 3 minutes, when I was on my way in and I dropped my purse in the parking lot and the contents scattered all over. I kid you not. Of course this was after my team lead told me I would never be fired for something so silly (I was hired via a staffing agency and the agency rep had called me about the tardies and so I asked directly if my job was in danger)...

I'd had a perfect attendance record (no days out) and an error free record (which NO ONE there had)... whatever. The point is, I couldn't have stood the creepy robot culture much longer anyway. It was too much. I made friends with a girl there, and she is a loudmouth, constantly joking and hamming it up, NOT working... missed every Monday due to being hungover but she's got a lot of charisma and so she's still around. I was nice, quiet, just there to do my job.

In Texas there are no rules regarding breaks. I think there used to be... because even some employers here seem to think it and will "insist" you take your break so that they don't "get in trouble". Of course I'm not going to tell them differently. LOL I know that there's no requirement for breaks though.... ask anyone in TX who works at a convenience store. Yes, there are sometimes "lulls" in the day but other times there are not, and my partner worked at one where she'd often work her entire shift without any break, it was just part of the job. Same with restaurants. She now works as a cook and works 10 hour shifts on her feet, and if she is able to squeeze in time to wolf down a meal then she's lucky. Doesn't always happen.

I even had managers when I worked FROM HOME try to limit our breaks. We worked from home!! Isn't that crazy?? They'd give us rigid schedules or time slots in which we had to put in X hours and because of the way it was structured we were often forced to be on the clock and actively working for 8 to 12 hours straight. Yes, most of us took breaks anyway, but we were paid via piece rate, so if we stepped away from the computer, we couldn't clock out but we weren't producing so our rate would drop dramatically just from getting a glass of water and going pee while "on the clock".

I would rather clean homes than do that. They want robots, not human beings. Bathroom breaks and water/meals are all factored into the productivity rate, so they are just trying to intimidate you.
I would document things and find another job. You know they want the turnover, because it allows them to keep from having to pay someone more if they do a good job.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
"HR department to be an impartial party" Remember the HR departments of the company are there for the company's benefit, to keep them out of trouble/keep them legal, etc. They are not there for the employee's benefit really.
I would be in big trouble at some of these places, since I had kids my bladder control had a mind of it's own as another poster said.
I am looking for a job as I just got laid off, I will stay away from call centers for sure!

Someone needs to take a dump on the floor at one of these places. I mean, really.........

Old 07-06-2008, 11:35 AM

I'd like to know what you do when someone gets sick at one of these places and has to make a mad dash to the bathroom...and that can be several times, of course. They should have a sign "No Irritable Bowel Syndromes need apply."

People need to organize and get out of these places. Let them offshore them...they did with most of them, but they know American workers do it better. So make them treat you like a human and pay you too.

A good idea would be for someone to start a staffing firm for placing call tech people. You would be paid by the staffing firm, who sets up the rules. If the call centers don't like it, let them go find their own people, which will be difficult to do, because most people would rather contract in under someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment