Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 11:35 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times

Advertisements

I'm currently negotiating a new contract work with a prospective employer and after our interview they want to bring me in as full time rather than as a contractor. So I decide to read the company reviews on Glassdoor dotcom and now I'm not so sure about the company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 07:53 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
Well, larger companies get reviewed more than smaller ones on Glassdoor.

Mostly, the people who review them are disgruntled former employees. However, there is often a kernel of truth in many of the negative reviews. To me, it all boils down to how detailed the review is. If the reviewer is giving lots of details in his review, he's probably more likely telling the truth.

Also, if a company is swamped with negative reviews, that is something to consider.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:01 AM

84 posts, read 71,819 times
I have looked at all the reviews for my current employer and the only one that is NOT accurate is the obvious damage-control post made by a higher-up. So I tend to take the reviews seriously, and look for common threads. If many reviews say the bosses only promote their friends, or the benefits are terrible, or there is no work/life balance, or the place is too noisy to concentrate... I know I probably don't want to work there.

And I find most of the reviews are by current employees, not former ones.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:15 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,901 times
i take everything on there with a grain of salt. I personally think they seem fairly accurate based on reviews i've read on current and past employers i have had. Yes, i do think that some of them are by disgruntled workers but there's always truth there too. It may be slightly over exaggerated but so are the super positive ones. Also look for common themes through various review, thats usually a good indicator that it's most likely true. It might be no advancement opportunity, poor raises, great culture..

If you're a contractor there currently you should have been able to get a good feel though right?

Old 11-01-2015, 09:44 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Based on what I've read of current/former employers, the reviews seem to generally be a pretty accurate reflection of what it's like to work there.

The salary numbers are terribly inflated though. I think people include stock awards, bonuses, etc as if they're part of their base pay.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:53 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,834 times
I've found most of the reviews I have read about companies I have either worked at or know a lot about to be somewhat accurate. The downside is people tend to want to complain who post reviews. I do purposely look for the negative reviews myself when researching companies.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:42 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Oftentimes on any review site the people who feel more strongly are those with negative views. With that said, what is said about my employer on there is startlingly accurate.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:50 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I'm currently negotiating a new contract work with a prospective employer and after our interview they want to bring me in as full time rather than as a contractor. So I decide to read the company reviews on Glassdoor dotcom and now I'm not so sure about the company.
Have you ever done any reviews on that site?

I've left several reviews on that site. They were posted fully, as I wrote them. I was totally honest. I tried to be balanced, but I sure as heck pointed out the negatives PRECISELY TO GIVE PROSPECTIVE EMPLOYEES THE HEADS UP, from an insider. Things I wish I would know before going to work for someone.

Heed them. Especially is some of them are saying essentially the same thing. Regardless whether it's negative or positive. ONE may be a disgruntled employee, but not several. But if there were several who felt so strongly as to leave a negative review, that says a lot about the company, doesn't it? That it leaves employees in the dust, feeling walked on and used.

From the reviews I've read, they tend to be more positive. People with negative views I think tend not to take the time and trouble to post.

Example of a negative that I inserted in one of my reviews: I pointed out that work was done in teams, and that it was not unusual for a couple of those team members to be the workhorses and keep the team afloat, while others got by with low skills and schmoozing. And that as far as I knew, the workhorses didn't get paid any more than the low-skilled, less productive workers, and didn't get bigger raises. (My review also contained positive points about the company.)

Is that negative or positive comment? I guess it depends on whether you are a schmoozer or a dedicated, hard worker. If you're a schmoozer, you might think, "Hey! Finally...a company that operates by my philosophy!"

Old 11-01-2015, 11:12 AM

940 posts, read 969,108 times
I know for a fact my wife's former company had upper management constantly posting glowing reviews on Glassdoor to counteract the negative ones. The higher ups were very concerned on the lack of recruiting ability due to all the negative reviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment