Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 01:42 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,678,881 times

Advertisements

I have only been at my job about 7 months. My coworker and I started at the same time. I have covered for his tardies 15 times in the past 2 months. Many of these tardies are as late as 3 and 4 hours. When he is actually at work, he does his homework for his masters degree. We share responsibilities, so I am usually picking up his slack because I when I see work needing done, I am going to do it. We recently received a compliment on all the work we were able to complete. My name was on the vast majority of the work, but he got credit.

I don't know what to do. Coworker seems to be buddies with my boss. I am getting burned out and resentful toward my coworker. I have considered looking for a new job, but I don't want to look like a job hopper. I don't feel I receive the same level of respect from my boss as my coworker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 06:29 PM

311 posts, read 291,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
I have only been at my job about 7 months. My coworker and I started at the same time. I have covered for his tardies 15 times in the past 2 months. Many of these tardies are as late as 3 and 4 hours. When he is actually at work, he does his homework for his masters degree. We share responsibilities, so I am usually picking up his slack because I when I see work needing done, I am going to do it. We recently received a compliment on all the work we were able to complete. My name was on the vast majority of the work, but he got credit.

I don't know what to do. Coworker seems to be buddies with my boss. I am getting burned out and resentful toward my coworker. I have considered looking for a new job, but I don't want to look like a job hopper. I don't feel I receive the same level of respect from my boss as my coworker.
Dude, no one stays at their job for 25 years anymore. Yes, you should leave

Old 11-01-2015, 06:50 PM

29,442 posts, read 22,366,566 times
Unfortunately you dug yourself your own grave, by covering for your co-worker 15 times.

Maybe one time, sure, but 15 times???

And the fact that you also did most of the work, yet your co-worker gets all the credit.

I think you resent not only this, but the realization that you were taken for a ride by your co-worker, and that this co-worker is in co-horts with the boss.

At this point I'm not sure what talking to your co-worker or boss is going to do, since this wasn't nipped in the bud earlier.

Yes, it may very well be time to look for another job. I see nothing but resentment and anger in the future. Job hopper or not, that's the risk you take. Good luck.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:02 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,166,325 times
Stop covering his "tardies" immediately. If he's been late 15 times in the last 2 months you can bet he's going to continue to do it. If someone asks you, you just don't know where he is.

Stop picking up his slack. Let the job not get done and let him fail. Make sure to document who is responsible for what via e-mail if you can. Send e-mail confirming what he's supposed to do and what you are doing and copy the boss. If he's not pulling his end and it affects you, send an e-mail requesting his contribution, and copy the boss.

You need to start differentiating your work and his. If the boss is still "fooled" by this guy, it's time to look for another job.

One thing I don't understand is if your name was on the work, how did he get credit?

Old 11-01-2015, 07:13 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,655,744 times
Stop covering for your coworker and doing his work.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:26 PM

12,066 posts, read 23,126,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Stop covering for your coworker and doing his work.
I guess there is always that

Old 11-02-2015, 12:14 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,246,396 times
Quote:
Well, it would be a good idea to seek another job while you're still working, so don't quit first. Until then, if the opportunity arises again where your co-workers isn't stepping up to the plate, then LET HIM FAIL!

Old 11-02-2015, 08:29 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,661,577 times
Your co-worker is taking advantage of you. And you're enabling it all. Stop it. If need be, look for another job.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:36 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,229,766 times
Another option is that you could check in with your boss every time before you will cover for your co-worker. After about 5x checking in with boss, boss will get the picture.

A quick e-mail. "Hi Boss, Bob isn't in again, so I was going to do XYZ, since it is outstanding. Let me know if there are any special instructions on this job, otherwise I will use my normal method."

Old 11-02-2015, 08:47 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,317,186 times
Quote:
I have covered for his tardies 15 times in the past 2 months. Many of these tardies are as late as 3 and 4 hours. When he is actually at work, he does his homework for his masters degree. We share responsibilities, so I am usually picking up his slack
Stop covering for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment