Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 12:36 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,925,699 times

Advertisements

It's really NOT your concern. It's your bosses concern. No one says you have to drive her. Make something up. I'm sure we've all had to hang out for half a day with someone we didn't want to at a work obligation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 12:49 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
You can't control whether she goes or not, so let go of that piece.

As for the transportation, several have suggested what I would do - if she does ask for a ride, explain that you have another appointment and won't be able to give her a lift, unfortunately.

She would have to be quite socially impaired to push beyond that. And if she did, just say you're sorry, but its just not possible.

It seems you have a lot of anxiety about this, and that is clouding your ability to realize that you CAN set boundaries with people. Regardless of what you've done in the past in terms of helping with transportation, that does not obligate you to do so every time in the future.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:56 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,291 times
You could always lie and say your car is in the shop. Take a cab to the conference or get someone to give you a ride on their motorcycle. She surely couldn't tag along that way. On the other hand, why the big deal? It's just a ride.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:05 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,676,233 times
I don't understand. The conference is free and open to the public. All you can do is ask the boss for the time off to attend.

If the other person also asks and is granted permission to attend, what's that to you?

If the person asks to ride along, simply say you have plans for the morning prior to the conference or you are riding with other people.

End of story.
you probably should hope that your co-worker doesn't also read this forum.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:16 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Personality is one. Yes, there are other reasons. I don't want to get into it and it really isn't relevant anyway.
I don't know... I'd say its very relevant at this point. You want input on how to handle a situation you find sticky but you don't want to give details on why. It hampers our ability to give practical advice. Like: suck it up and take the co-worker to the conference. That would be my advice. Or refuse to. Anything else (trying to sabotage their attending) is unethical. But if we knew why... that might exonerate you.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:23 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times
I'm thinking there was a hook-up in the not so distant past and now there are "expectations". I can't think of another explanation.

Anyway,

Just ask the Director and go. Don't even mention it to the co-worker. Let her do whatever she wants to do.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:34 PM

1,785 posts, read 2,382,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Personality is one. Yes, there are other reasons. I don't want to get into it and it really isn't relevant anyway.
Awww come on, tell us! At least give us a hint.

I think the problem with lying about having to go somewhere else after the conference, as a way to not give her a ride, is that you said your town has public transportation. Conceivably, she could insist on riding with you, while riding back to work on mass transit after the conference ends. You could lie and say you're also taking public transit but you actually drive to the conference. It's very possible for you and the coworker to not see each other on the bus or train (whatever the mode) though you're both going to the same destination.

As other posters have said, you need to prepare for this coworker to go to the conference and the only issue is finding a way to not ride together.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:44 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,793,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
1. If you ask your boss to go, does this other person have to know? Don't tell her until after you go.
2. Excuses are easy:
a. Say you have an early morning appointment/obligation on that day and can't swing around and get her. If she asks what, say it is personal.
b. Or say you are staying at a friend's house the night before and it would be too far out of the way to get her
Yes, the other person will absolutely know. She knows things...it's weird.

In terms of driving her, I can think something up I suppose.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Hollow View Post
You do not owe your co-worker an explanation for declining to pick up/drop off. Simply say you are unable to do so and end the conversation.
This is someone I work with every day, somewhat closely. You know, people socialize with people. It would be weird to simply say "I am unable to" and then walk away. She'd be standing there going "huh? What the hell is wrong with you? Are you mad at me?"

Old 11-03-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan20 View Post
Make sure this is 15 seconds before the presentation or even as it begins so co-worker can't follow her.
I'm a him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment