Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 01:48 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,793,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
I'm sure we've all had to hang out for half a day with someone we didn't want to at a work obligation.
Sure, I have too. But I want to avoid it when I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
She would have to be quite socially impaired to push beyond that.
Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
It seems you have a lot of anxiety about this, and that is clouding your ability to realize that you CAN set boundaries with people. Regardless of what you've done in the past in terms of helping with transportation, that does not obligate you to do so every time in the future.
Well, I wouldn’t go so far as to say I have anxiety. And I completely understand how to set boundaries. This is an unusual person. I’m in my early 40’s, I’ve been at several org’s and worked with several personalities. Some were difficult. Believe me when I tell you that this is an unusual person. We’ve had the boundary discussion (as well as several other discussion regarding how to conduct oneself socially) several times.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:56 PM

22,581 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
This is someone I work with every day, somewhat closely. You know, people socialize with people. It would be weird to simply say "I am unable to" and then walk away. She'd be standing there going "huh? What the hell is wrong with you? Are you mad at me?"
You say "Sorry, but that is not possible" without walking away until she acknowledges that.
If she says huh?, repeat.

"nothing" and "no" work for your last two queries.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I don't know... I'd say its very relevant at this point. You want input on how to handle a situation you find sticky but you don't want to give details on why. It hampers our ability to give practical advice. Like: suck it up and take the co-worker to the conference. That would be my advice. Or refuse to. Anything else (trying to sabotage their attending) is unethical. But if we knew why... that might exonerate you.
Because she has a very difficult personality. I suck it up all the time. I’d prefer some time to be at peace at the conference.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I'm thinking there was a hook-up in the not so distant past and now there are "expectations". I can't think of another explanation.
No, that's silly.

It's simply that being around her is horrible.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You say "Sorry, but that is not possible" without walking away until she acknowledges that.
If she says huh?, repeat.

"nothing" and "no" work for your last two queries.
Looks ok on paper I suppose but practically speaking, I feel like that's uber weird.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:05 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Quote:
Of course it's my concern. That's precisely why I'm posting, because I'm concerned. And I know it's my Directors decision, that's part of the problem. I need help with something that'll help my Director say no. If it were my decision, it would be easy.

I don't want to get into it but yes, she will plop down next to me. She'll stick to me like glue and will only want to go because I'm going. But I don't think she'll go if I can't drive her so that may be the ticket. Any ideas on what to make up? I lack creativity.
Oy. Yes, I'm aware that you are concerned that you have to deal with her. What I'm implying is that the decision to let her go or not is not your concern - as in it's none of your business, or you have no direct part in the decision process.

If you can't figure out a way to deal with this, then this is likely going to be the least of your problems.

Last edited by macroy; 11-03-2015 at 02:15 PM..

Old 11-03-2015, 02:12 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
....... That’ll totally kill my mojo. ..........
Your mojo is not your boss's problem. Just ask to go. If your coworker also goes, it is no business of yours.

If the coworker asks for a ride, you simply say, "Sorry. There isn't an available seat in my car."

You can repeat that over and over if she tries to dig out a reason. You aren't obligated to provide her with your life story. Just keep smiling and telling her that there is no available seat, preferably as you are walking away. Eventually she will get tired and give up.

(if you are taking a company car, sorry, but you are sunk. You'll have to share the ride)

Old 11-03-2015, 02:16 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
Quote:
Bingo!

Well, I wouldn’t go so far as to say I have anxiety. And I completely understand how to set boundaries. This is an unusual person. I’m in my early 40’s, I’ve been at several org’s and worked with several personalities. Some were difficult. Believe me when I tell you that this is an unusual person. We’ve had the boundary discussion (as well as several other discussion regarding how to conduct oneself socially) several times.

What prevents you from saying "I'm not able to give you a ride for X reason"?

What will this person do if you say that? Will they scream at you? Will they hit you? Will they run to the boss and spread lies about you?

We have to get to the root of why you cannot tell this person you can't give him a ride.

(As I said, you can't control whether he goes or not, so there is no point putting any mental energy into that aspect of the situation).

Old 11-03-2015, 02:20 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Just say you have obligations both before and after the conference so you will unable to provide a ride. It's really that simple. If she persists and says something like it's ok I'll tag along anyways, well then I'd definitely call her out and say sorry, no ride here. If you have a problem doing that then you will just have to deal with her. You can't get what you want and not have to do anything to get it. This one is pretty easy though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment