Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 12:34 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times

Advertisements

When I worked in Naval Intelligence, that was a job I would have paid them to let me keep, but the frailties of the body precluded my staying there.

Loved the travel, the work itself was fastinating, I felt I was really doing good work for a good cause, but when my knees gave out I couldn't meet the physical standards and had to leave.

My current job I've held for 20+ years, and it's ok. I deal with Business Law and I can do a lot of good for people by helping them through the labarynth of legal idiocy, so being able to help small business owners grow and prosper is a good thing.

No I don't jump out of bed on Monday morning, chomping at the bit to get to work, but there are a lot of good people I work with, the work does serve a meaningful purpose, the pay is very good for my area, so in that respect it's a pretty good gig.

The only drawback is one of the executive staff that was hired basically as a payoff to somebody, really has no duties, and no experience or skills, and so does her best to make life difficult and dump sand in the gears whenever possible.
That has detracted from the enjoyment of the job considerably, but there isn't a comparable position around this area where I could realistically have the same pay and benefits, so I'll stick around. Long way to retirement and the wife has a lot of medical issues, so the medical insurance alone is worth a lot of the PITA garbage that goes around here.

I don't look for that individual to hold their job much longer anyway. A payoff for whatever reason she was hired in the first place is no subsitute for the decline in moral and productivity she has caused.

If I could see my way clear, I would rather make my hobby of blacksmithing a career, but I found out long ago that the things that make it a wonderful hobby, the artistry, the creation, making something useful and substantial that will last for years and give people a lot of joy goes away when you have to conform to someone else's vision and create to their specifications and under their deadline.

I still do it on the side, (great stress reliever), but aside from a few projects to pay for new equipment or whatever, I mostly do it for myself.

I'm also a silent partner in another corporation, write instructional books, and have a ranch on the side so I have all the diversity and intellectual stimulation I need to come to my day job every day and do my work well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 12:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I like my job a lot. Besides the good pay and benefits, and a good work-life balance, my Director is not a micro-manager. I am pretty much free to manage my staff without oversight, only meeting once a week for 20-30 minutes to give updates on projects or problems. With many changes going on, and new technology it's never boring, with plenty of challenges. I also have great working hours, 6:30am-3:00pm, so I get home with lots of time left in the day.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:05 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
Just wondering. Because I have liked a couple of my jobs but mostly it's just a long string of jobs I can't wait to leave.

Does anyone actually like what they do? And what do you do? what makes you like your job? The people you work with? The supervisor? Can you have both? A supervisor AND colleagues you like working with? Which one make the job more likeable? What factors make you want to stay at your job?
Some days I do, some I don't. Depends on what I have to do that day.

I work 2 depts. Deli and Meat. Both require I be moving, picking or cleaning or serving customers.

Deli Manager is pretty funny, we joke a bit but he compliments all of us for a good job.

One of my co-workers are the "Passive resistant" they won't do certain aspects of the job, but they won't get in your face about it. They just won't do it. That's when we call the assit manager in as we let THEM give grief.

The rest try and do the job as best as possible. The manager has developed a "Work Plan" and you have to finish your jobs before leaving. Make sit nice on the closers. I was trained at another store and they left a lot of work for the closers who never got out early.

Now we get out 15 min early unless we really drag the work out. Plus, on some days I get to scarf the free food we're throwing out. Nothing wrong with it, just too old for the average customer.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:09 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
Nope I've done it for years but 2016 I will either start IT or rigging ( related to scaffolding ) in film studios I'm gonna probably pursue the latter

Old 11-04-2015, 01:13 PM

559 posts, read 1,466,300 times
"If I could see my way clear, I would rather make my hobby of blacksmithing a career, but I found out long ago that the things that make it a wonderful hobby, the artistry, the creation, making something useful and substantial that will last for years and give people a lot of joy goes away when you have to conform to someone else's vision and create to their specifications and under their deadline."

I think that is the problem. I'm a counselor and I could not WAIT to be a counselor. But being a counselor for an agency with a supervisor who has never done counseling and is not a counselor and having to conform to stupid insurance policies that only care about NOT having to pay us and not the client have made me really hate what I do. I feel trapped. I cross my fingers everyday my clients don't show up or cancel because the less clients I have to see the less stupid paperwork I have to do. I enjoy working with some of them but this is not what I expected to be doing...working under a supervisor who is a micromanager, demanding to know why my notes were 5 minutes late or why I didn't meet my benchmark at 100% but 97% instead. And the job has so little time off and let's say it's the day before Christmas, if we get the sick the day before or after, they don't pay us for the holiday! It's quite annoying.

I do like my co-workers, whom I would miss if I left but the pay is terrible and the work is way more than 40 hours. I work all day and then go home and work some more and work on the weekends. I get told I'm salary so I can do that. I took this job to escape my last job and my last passive aggressive micro manager boss and got someone WORSE! I guess I just think.......ugh. Everyday I come to work, I just can't wait to leave. I am overloaded with clients (102, currently, with more coming in everyday), paperwork, training, other stupid things my boss doesn't want to do.

I guess I just thought with all the education, training, experience, licensures, the constant continuing ed hours I Have to have every year that I would be treated with respect instead of a little kid who doesn't know anything. The financial burden is so hard because I am the only one working, too. And we have a kid. So even if I wanted to do a career change (which I totally do) or start my own practice, it's not an option. I want to love my job or ya know just not HATE IT.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:32 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times
I like my job. I edit letters that go out to doctors and patients about their health care coverage. There is not an overload of work, and the best part of it all, is I work from home. I can set my own hours. I despised other jobs I had because of that very fact - that I HAD to work 8-5 and HAD to lunch from 12-1. I am so thankful for my flexibility now.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:44 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
I don't have a 'job' . . . I get paid for a hobby. Money magically shows up in my checking account every two weeks. Been like that for 33 years now. It has been said that a man who enjoys his job doesn't work a day in his life. It's true.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:02 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
It's fine. It's a job, it pays the bills and then some. I don't expect to wake up excited about it.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:03 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
Just wondering. Because I have liked a couple of my jobs but mostly it's just a long string of jobs I can't wait to leave.

Does anyone actually like what they do? And what do you do? what makes you like your job? The people you work with? The supervisor? Can you have both? A supervisor AND colleagues you like working with? Which one make the job more likeable? What factors make you want to stay at your job?
I love my job. Every morning I look forward to going to work.

I was hired to do graphic design, marketing and web design, but I've morphed into being a little of everything and I love it. I do billing, customer service, testing (we manufacture chemicals), ordering and general office work in addition to marketing and design.

I love that the days fly by and that there's always something interesting to work on.

I like my job because:

1. I love my boss. We're a very small outfit, and I'm the only non-family working here. That said, they treat me like family. My boss is fair, no-nonsense, smart, and quick to tell you you've done a great job. He gives raises regularly, and gives out bonuses often. He expects a lot from his employees, but he's also very flexible.

2. I love my coworkers. They're all related, but I never feel like and outsider. We have monthly company lunches, and everybody is very supportive of each other.

3. I work 10 minutes from my house. A great perk, for sure, but when we were discussing moving a lot further away, it wouldn't have mattered.

I've worked a lot of jobs that have been OK, and a lot that I've hated. But this one is the best by far.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:10 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
I'm successful as an artist and massage therapist.
What's not to like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment