Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 08:07 AM

34,944 posts, read 31,079,407 times

Advertisements

The line that Americans simply won't do the work is likely a myth. Americans won't (or can't) do it for the wages employers are willing to pay offshore labor and/or illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 02:41 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,670,184 times
My grandfather used to be protective of American jobs. For example, he would only buy a car that was "made in America." I guess he figured that if he bought a car that was made overseas, his money would be gone overseas and some poor person in America might lose their job.

Today, it's hard to buy something that's totally made in America.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:52 PM

29,699 posts, read 24,780,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
The OP is on my ignore list, and for good reason, but this one was such a derp troll thread, I had to respond. To the OP, if you don't understand why people would protect jobs that allow them to get paid and, you know, LIVE and stuff, than nobody can help you.

Typical bleeding heart lib response. You like to complain, but you never offer any sensible alternative or solution.

So what would you like? Would you like to hold corporations at gun point and demand they reshore every job? Would you prefer they only create jobs in the USA from now on? Why don't you explain yourself for a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The line that Americans simply won't do the work is likely a myth. Americans won't (or can't) do it for the wages employers are willing to pay offshore labor and/or illegals.
Most American consumers will not pay more for a product just because it was made here. It's just reality.

But there are still plenty of high quality products made in the USA. They are often the higher value items that people don't buy every week or two, so people don't think about them. Tractors, cars, airplanes, space craft, etc etc.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:09 PM

33,862 posts, read 16,906,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post

Most American consumers will not pay more for a product just because it was made here. It's just reality.

Thank God. To pay more due to being made here would simply make us soft. We need to get better every single day, which means we cannot be coddled. We must become the best bang for the buck. globally.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:04 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,384,437 times
Quote:
But there are still plenty of high quality products made in the USA. They are often the higher value items that people don't buy every week or two, so people don't think about them. Tractors, cars, airplanes, space craft, etc etc.
When I buy spacecraft, I ONLY buy Made in the USA products. Kidding aside, it's a great point.

I also agree that I typically do not pay extra when I see "Made in the USA"- I buy the product that meets my quality requirements at the lowest price necessary. Most of the time that means I buy things made in China, but sometimes I need higher quality things so I buy things made in Germany (cars), Sweden (furniture (yes, IKEA makes some good stuff in addition to its low price/quality lines)), Canada (my highschool Firebird), the UK (most of my dress shirts), Italy (my suits/sport coats), and even Russia (vodka).

I just don't get the USA=quality movement. Country of origin has nothing to do with quality- whichever company has been doing it best for longest is the one that has the highest quality for that particular product, and they tend to be spread all over the globe.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:25 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,618,948 times
Quote:
There are many jobs that suck. These jobs suck so bad, that we should probably be thankful that other, less fortunate people are willing to perform the duties of the job. Sometimes, these jobs destroy communities and the environment for the locals. There are many jobs that just plain suck, and no American would want to do them, period.

American corporations tend to offshore these crappy jobs, allowing Americans to do the easier and higher paying jobs. Does anyone really have a problem with this?
Clueless or heartless or both? What may seem to be a bad job to you enables someone else to have a roof over their head and food on the table. Jobs requiring education and years of experience are also being outsourced. For example translation used to provide a comfortable living, but now American workers compete with people living in countries with drastically lower costs of living (helped I'm sure by currency manipulation). They can't compete and now many fast food jobs pay more than translation.

I'm sure the same scenario is underway in many fields that I'm not even aware of. It's devastating for people involved, and education is not cheap and takes time. Pretty hard when one has mouths to feed now. But oh well, as long as it's them, right?

Old 11-10-2015, 04:45 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,670,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
When I buy spacecraft, I ONLY buy Made in the USA products. Kidding aside, it's a great point.

I also agree that I typically do not pay extra when I see "Made in the USA"- I buy the product that meets my quality requirements at the lowest price necessary. Most of the time that means I buy things made in China, but sometimes I need higher quality things so I buy things made in Germany (cars), Sweden (furniture (yes, IKEA makes some good stuff in addition to its low price/quality lines)), Canada (my highschool Firebird), the UK (most of my dress shirts), Italy (my suits/sport coats), and even Russia (vodka).

I just don't get the USA=quality movement. Country of origin has nothing to do with quality- whichever company has been doing it best for longest is the one that has the highest quality for that particular product, and they tend to be spread all over the globe.
All things being equal, why not buy USA made products? Of course, all things are not usually equal. But let's assume they are. Then why not?

Unfortunately, most of the "made in USA" stuff is more expensive. I'm somewhat of an audiophile, so I spend money on audio equipment, from time to time. Let's say I want to buy a stereo power amplifier.

I can buy a McIntosh amp, model MC452, made in Binghampton NY, for $7500. Or, I can find a similar amp, made in China, for around $1450. What do I do? Some people have big bucks and feel better about having the McIntosh brand name. It makes them feel important. Other people would rather save the $6000 for something else. I guess that kind of comparison wouldn't be too hard to make, no matter what you'e looking at. But if the prices is the same, sure, I'll buy the made in USA stuff.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:53 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,091,275 times
Not true, I endeavor to buy made in America, unfortunately that is getting harder and harder as certain things simply are not made here anymore. I don't think you could buy a computer made in America if you spent a week on the internet searching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Americans are not protective of american jobs unless it's their job! They really could care less about anyone else's job being shipped overseas so long as they have their job. Sure they talk the big "made in USA" speech but truth is, most really never give it any thought except when they wave the flag on the fourth of july. The notion that many americans actually care about american jobs is a myth; it's nothing but a sad attempt by lazy american workers to feel good about themselves.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:59 PM

you will find out when you are living in a tin shed with a dirt floor, that's what a third worlders cost of living consists of, they also walk to work or car pool. If I wanted to live right next to work it would cost an absolute fortune.

Also I have done a lot of different jobs and there are very few jobs that inherently suck, its the bosses that make them suck with the yelling, drama, micro management, draconian time keeping, etc. Those sorts of bosses typically end up in what people refer to as "crappy jobs". When in reality its those vapid sorry excuse for human being bosses that turn people off to that sort of work. Or bosses that make people work in conditions you would not have performed the work in if it were just you there (like trying to pour concrete in pouring rain (or really doing anything in pouring rain or brutally hot conditions, etc).

From the little I know of other nations, the workers are also part of communities and they pull together as big families. I would be curious if bosses can afford to run those plants over seas like they would here with all the vapid behavior.

Quote:
There are many jobs that suck. These jobs suck so bad, that we should probably be thankful that other, less fortunate people are willing to perform the duties of the job. Sometimes, these jobs destroy communities and the environment for the locals. There are many jobs that just plain suck, and no American would want to do them, period.

American corporations tend to offshore these crappy jobs, allowing Americans to do the easier and higher paying jobs. Does anyone really have a problem with this?

Old 11-10-2015, 05:11 PM

Its a domino effect, that's why tarrifs were so important. Once the first say 5% of the us populations jobs get outsourced now they are forced to do something different because they are priced out of the local market. The first 5% might have a hard go of it because the other 95% are still humming along buying each others USA made things while the 5% go off into obscurity. But time goes on, now its 15% and the untariffed goods start trickling in and that 15% jumps on it because there is no way in the world they could buy $200 shoes or a $400 book bag.

This process goes on until more than half of Americans have been displaced due to untarrifed goods. Then you see things like wal marts or most of the items on amazon prime being made else where and now even shipped directly from else where. I ordered a new Lenovo and they did not even have a middle man to make it appear like it was coming from the USA. I came straight out of China on my shipment tracking.

I mean I am sure I could contract out someone to build me a computer here .... for a price, a price I cant afford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
All things being equal, why not buy USA made products? Of course, all things are not usually equal. But let's assume they are. Then why not?

Unfortunately, most of the "made in USA" stuff is more expensive. I'm somewhat of an audiophile, so I spend money on audio equipment, from time to time. Let's say I want to buy a stereo power amplifier.

I can buy a McIntosh amp, model MC452, made in Binghampton NY, for $7500. Or, I can find a similar amp, made in China, for around $1450. What do I do? Some people have big bucks and feel better about having the McIntosh brand name. It makes them feel important. Other people would rather save the $6000 for something else. I guess that kind of comparison wouldn't be too hard to make, no matter what you'e looking at. But if the prices is the same, sure, I'll buy the made in USA stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment