Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2015, 04:40 PM

395 posts, read 597,821 times

Advertisements

Today I was hired as a seasonal driver and passed the drivers exam, but I do have some general questions. I know this time of year, its common to work 60 hour weeks but how is it January thru November or so? Doing the math, it seems like you are only making around $38k or so a year the first year which is quite difficult to live on. How are the benefits and how hard is it really to be hired full time once January 15th hits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 06:29 PM

3,513 posts, read 7,762,799 times
I interviewed with them, but couldn't pass the drivers test. I can drive a manual transmission, but the test drive was a nightmare, the shiftier was on a tall stick, loose and incorrectly labeled for the gears, usually you can "feel" the vehicle's engine so you know when to shift, truck was beat and rattled like hell, I found it impossible to feel when it was time to shift. Not to mention my foot for the gas was at a awkward angle because I couldn't adjust the seat. But enough about the test. When I interviewed, they told me that full time drivers are usually picked from there pool of seasonal drivers. If you drive for them for 2 or 3 years, during the holiday's, and your good at it, eventually they will hire you for a full time position. How long really depends on how many full time drivers they lose through retirement, death or they quit. It could take you one year to get promoted to full time or five. As for as the pay is concerned, full time drivers earn more than seasonal drivers. So when you get picked full time, there will be a bump in your salary. If you check:
www.browncafe.com/community/
This is were the UPS drivers trade gossip.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:06 PM

395 posts, read 597,821 times
Great thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment