Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 02:16 AM

469 posts, read 913,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Hence the reason I never mixed business with pleasure.
I did not want to witness such behavior.
Yep!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 06:49 AM

5,151 posts, read 6,129,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Hence the reason I never mixed business with pleasure.
I did not want to witness such behavior.

I think having a few drinks somewhere like a bar outside work is cool.............that being said I don't do the private house party's unless I know the folks pretty intimately.

I am 55 and have been around the block and I have seen where the most conservative one in the group at work has gone off the deep end with a little alcohol................I have also been on travel with those who act like they have never been away from home and it is their chance to relive the movie Animal House.

I know I am probably in correct in thinking this way but I find it hard to respect a co worker after I have just witnessed them get drunk a$$ crazy at a private function and embarrass the heck out of themselves.

I have also witnessed my wife get extremely incoherent at a good sized work party at the CFO's house after drinking two glasses of wine from an open bottle..............same thing happened to a extremely close friend at our Christmas Party which I did not attend, next thing he knows he had to leave in a taxi to head home as he and his wife were to the point of a total druken stupor. He is a social drinker............but something happened to both my wife and he and his wife on those occasions. Goes to show you have to watch your back still around friends and aquaintances.

I am usually the DD................talk about sobering, when watching a bunch of drunks make fools of themselves, at least when I was younger we did not have smartphones to show off pictures of our exploits the next day!

Old 11-08-2015, 07:53 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,020,913 times
This seems way over the top, especially the bit about the designated drivers getting drunk and the trips outside for "fresh air." Now you know that you should schedule an important appointment elsewhere whenever anyone in this group decides to have a house party.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:05 AM

299 posts, read 350,402 times
You have a vivid imagination.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:26 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
Sounds like a party and the fact that it was mainly with co-workers is irrelevant. I didn't party much when I was that age as I got it all out of my system in college. Even if I did party like that I'd not do it around co-workers if I could help it. Too much room for things to go horribly wrong and make work miserable or even worse, get you fired.

Different strokes for different folks.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:43 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shesmovedon View Post
Coworker holds party at house, invites whole team. This is a white-collar, professional-type business in a major city, not some group of early 20s retail workers who I'd expect to party it up multiple nights per week. Because I stayed sober, I was able to take in the scenary quite carefully.

- Everyone gets drunk. I'm not talking a couple drinks -- more like 6-12 per individual.
- Manager's drunk girlfriend is going around telling embarassing stories about the manager
- Colleage's boyfriend gets drunk and passes out halway in his chair, eventually ends up sprawled out on the floor
- Multiple people end up sleeping their because the DD of their carpool had one too many
- About half of my coworkers take multiple breaks to "go outside to catch some fresh air", meaning go outside to smoke weed
- A few coworkers ended up leaving to go clubbing at midnight
- Many conversations with drunk people about workplace shenanigans. Quite surprising lol

Age range of coworkers: 26-33

Is this out of the ordinary or to be expected?
no, this is an outrage! outrageously boring

no strippers, cocaine or karaoke?

pfft, some house party.

and who goes to a party and doesn't drink anything? only total squares do that. were you a DD? i get that some people can't handle their booze and just take it easy, but not even 1?

you should be so lucky. people at my work are twice my age and have a bunch of kids. no parties except for x-mas and you aint even allowed to drink. gonna have to keep some nips of vodka at my desk this year. at my retail night job, everyone is younger than me and i dont have any interest in hanging out with them because we have nothing much in common.

if must be so vindicating for you to practice your teetotalism at parties and judge people if they have a few too many.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:51 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,718,518 times
Yes when I was that age (late 20s) partying with coworkers was at least a weekly thing. At the pub, a club or after hours at the office. Brainstorming meetings always came with a case of wine. Yes people got squiffy on a regular basis.

This was London late 80s early 90s.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:35 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shesmovedon View Post
Coworker holds party at house, invites whole team. This is a white-collar, professional-type business in a major city, not some group of early 20s retail workers who I'd expect to party it up multiple nights per week. Because I stayed sober, I was able to take in the scenary quite carefully.

- Everyone gets drunk. I'm not talking a couple drinks -- more like 6-12 per individual.
- Manager's drunk girlfriend is going around telling embarassing stories about the manager
- Colleage's boyfriend gets drunk and passes out halway in his chair, eventually ends up sprawled out on the floor
- Multiple people end up sleeping their because the DD of their carpool had one too many
- About half of my coworkers take multiple breaks to "go outside to catch some fresh air", meaning go outside to smoke weed
- A few coworkers ended up leaving to go clubbing at midnight
- Many conversations with drunk people about workplace shenanigans. Quite surprising lol

Age range of coworkers: 26-33

Is this out of the ordinary or to be expected?
You shouldn't have gone. The bolded part is your biggest problem. You stayed sober so the manager knows that you know dirt on them provided by the girlfriend with the big mouth.

People are strange, he could be thinking if he has to do layoffs down the road, best to get rid of the one who heard all the embarrassing stories about me first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Eh, people that work hard like to play hard. I hardly think 26-33 is when people are supposed to sit around playing cards drinking Shirley Temples. They'll be married with kids and other obligations soon enough. Enjoy it now. It sounds like they're used to acting this way in front of each other and are friends outside of work. As long as no one says or does anything to offend their boss I don't see the big deal.

Yes, but it do with people you don't work with. Use a little smarts.

And did you miss the part where the sober OP got an earful of unflattering stories about the boss? That's worse than doing something to offend the boss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
You made a big mistake by going to a party outside work hours with coworkers in the first place, especially with alcohol. When I decide to go wild the last thing I want is a coworker there who can use that event against me.
Bingo! Work environments can be difficult enough. There are always one or two back stabbers when everyone is sober and at work. Very foolish to put yourself in this position.

These are your coworkers not your friends.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:41 PM

723 posts, read 868,324 times
Sounds like a fun night and nothing unheard of as far as I'm concerned.

Old 11-08-2015, 03:19 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,531,567 times
Like another poster said every group has their own dynamics. I've never been at a workplace where I'd want to go over to a coworker's house for a party. The most I ever did was join the whole group for a very occasional dinner after work. Nothing too extreme. Just go out for dinner, some of us had a few drinks and then everyone went home. I don't want to get too close to my coworkers unless we really hit if off, and that's never happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment