Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 04:10 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,419,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I feel the post office gravy train is on it's way out. It's one of the last bastions of over inflated union wages in America.
You should visit Illinois. The state is bankrupt by government union workers and their obscene pensions and everyone else is expected to pay obscene taxes to support it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 04:12 PM

29 posts, read 25,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Lol! Sorry, but you are probably not tough enough for America and our fact skirting, insulting, Euro-bashing, blame the victim mentality, high on rhetoric yet low on substance, ways!

In addition to my other post regarding America's attitudes against the poor, disabled and immigrants not to mention our ridiculous homicide rates via firearms, THESE POSTS are the real reason no Europeans want to emigrate to here!

Do you really wanna make a few more bucks an hour just to deal with what you see in this thread EVERYDAY OF YOUR LIFE!

I would gladly take a PAY CUT just to be around more intelligent and less obnoxious people and also have free health care.

Too bad no southern Euro countries speak enough English for me because I don't want to live with freezing winters! I guess I could learn another language but why bother? I'm an American.
Ha, well I think the guy is a troll (or he got mad at me for cornering him)

Anyways, that's an interesting point of view (assuming that you are mostly serious). I always thought that in a reasonably high-paying job, an American would be able to "isolate" themselves from the downsides (e.g. live in a gated community and not hang out in dangerous suburbs etc.).

While you may have certain social problems in America, do you think you could handle true northern disappointment (trademark), which is having plans and dreams about how nice life could be, but having to abandon all of them because the government prohibits everything or taxes you to death, and it is more comfortable to stay in a 9 to 5 job repeating the same basic stuff over again every day? You think you could handle that for the rest of your life?

Old 11-08-2015, 04:50 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,525,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pqrt View Post
No. I look at the 60-80 hour work weeks I pull, the 40% tax rate
How so?

$57k in US dollars = 53k euros, for which the marginal tax rate in Finland is 21%.
The social security tax is 2%.
The highest tax rate is 31%, and that's only for euros earned over 90K.
If you're including health insurance and local/municipal taxes in your 40% figure, be aware that in the US those are very hefty also. From the information you've given, your total tax/health/ss outlay here wouldn't be much lighter if any.
And your unemployment, sick leave, and paid holiday benefits are way sweeter than in the US.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:15 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,457,152 times
Quote:
It says that the median wage of a mailman in 2012 was about $57k.
The older postal workers have great salaries. The newer workers get paid hourly and at lower rate.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:51 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,894,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood55 View Post
Pay the postal workers. That is a demanding job these days, delivering the mail and dealing with the public, dogs and weather. If anything, I think they should get a raise! Postal workers/mail deliverers, are way under appreciated. People now days are just plain rude. Postal workers do not have an easy job to say the least.
Postal workers get maximum security, early retirement and great benefits. Those are almost priceless today. As far as middle managers, they are usually retained to have someone to blame when anything goes wrong. A wise boss has a whole stable of them as sacrificial lambs.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:52 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
Mailman gets 57k (if that's true) plus benefits, credit union etc. It is because of those benefits people take those jobs. I would double check those figures.

We have politicians who want to turn US into what you are describing, and I am advocating the formation lynch mobs to deal with these politicians !

Master's degree in engineering plus management skills, kid 57k is for college drop outs. 57k is entry level for Master's degree in engineering If you move here, and work in your profession you will make double that with 5 years of US experience.

I am a software engineer. Computer programmer... I make more then 100k. I have a Masters, but it's not very good, when I tried to wipe myself with it, the paper was not so soft

Old 11-08-2015, 05:55 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,790,340 times
Quote:
No. I look at the 60-80 hour work weeks I pull, the 40% tax rate, the sky-high rent that I pay, the fact that I am 32 years old and have to seriously evaluate each month whether I can afford to buy new clothes.
What company even allows you pulling 80-hour work weeks?

https://www.erto.fi/tyosuhdeopas/tyo...yoe-ja-ylityoe

Työaikalain mukaan ylityötä saadaan teettää enintään 138 tuntia neljän kuukauden ajanjakson aikana, kuitenkin enintään 250 tuntia kalenterivuodessa.

Because if you do 60-hour weeks, you override the legal overtime cap by a whopping 222 hours every four-month period, or 638 hours annually. That's so illegal.

Ylityötunneista maksetaan aina korotettua palkkaa. Vuorokautisen säännöllisen työajan ylittävältä kahdelta tunnilta tulee työaikalain mukaan maksaa 50 %:lla korotettu palkka ja seuraavilta tunneilta 100 %:lla korotettu palkka.

And if you are in the 9th decile like you say, you have to earn around €60k annually, especially with all that illegal overtime which pays 150% or 200% your normal salary. Ok, so your tax rate is 35.35%, you taking home €38800, or €3232 monthly. So how can you claim you cannot afford new clothes? After all, you must spend very little money as you are working all the time.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:00 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
What company even allows you pulling 80-hour work weeks?

https://www.erto.fi/tyosuhdeopas/tyo...yoe-ja-ylityoe

Työaikalain mukaan ylityötä saadaan teettää enintään 138 tuntia neljän kuukauden ajanjakson aikana, kuitenkin enintään 250 tuntia kalenterivuodessa.

Because if you do 60-hour weeks, you override the legal overtime cap by a whopping 222 hours every four-month period, or 638 hours annually. That's so illegal.

Ylityötunneista maksetaan aina korotettua palkkaa. Vuorokautisen säännöllisen työajan ylittävältä kahdelta tunnilta tulee työaikalain mukaan maksaa 50 %:lla korotettu palkka ja seuraavilta tunneilta 100 %:lla korotettu palkka.

And if you are in the 9th decile like you say, you have to earn around €60k annually, especially with all that illegal overtime which pays 150% or 200% your normal salary. Ok, so your tax rate is 35.35%, you taking home €38800, or €3232 monthly. So how can you claim you cannot afford new clothes? After all, you must spend very little money as you are working all the time.
I think that in €38800 you added an extra digit without noticing it.
€3232 monthly

I make more then just double that.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:36 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,320,341 times
Quote:
I saw this article in Businessinsider.com: High-paying jobs you can get without a college degree - Business Insider

My question is: Is the Businessinsider article true? Should I immediately move to the U.S. and become a mailman who probably works shorter hours than I currently do, makes more than I do after taxes, and has lower living costs than I do.
That's your choice isn't it? Why ask this in a forum where no one knows you.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:21 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,400,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
A Mailman in the US makes more than a middle manager in the U.S Im a supervisor at a fortune 500 company and I make less than a mailman with a few years experience does.

Where is the justification in that? They deliver mail for god sakes!!!
95% of the mail I get is junk I don't need nor want. Catalogs coupes, news magazines I didn't order etc. My prescription mess come by mail. Mailman dropped a package on the street half a mile away, the homeowner there called and I picked it up my self. Idiots in a job that makes no sense in a world of emails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment