Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do young people today major in economically useless subjects?
ignorance about the bubble 36 21.05%
too lazy to do engineering/accounting/nursing 46 26.90%
other (comment) 89 52.05%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 02:31 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,116,633 times

Advertisements

Prior generations majored in useless areas more than young people today do, just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 03:37 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,471,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Prior generations majored in useless areas more than young people today do, just saying.
I hear people joke about basket weaving all the time, but it still feels like it was an actual study!

Old 03-25-2016, 04:25 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,663,649 times
I think the issue these days is that it's so hard for young people to tell what will be useful 4+ years from now. For example, with nursing, I know it's really competitive to get into the legit nursing programs. From what I've been hearing, most hospitals are starting to require a BSN, so it's not even just as simple as getting the 3 years for the RN anymore (once you have the prereqs to get yourself into the RN program in the first place.)

In the other "hot" fields, so many people are going into those programs that there ends up being a glut of graduates and the competition for the jobs available by the time the students graduate 4-6 years later that those majors aren't so economically useful anymore either.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:20 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,470,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I think the issue these days is that it's so hard for young people to tell what will be useful 4+ years from now. For example, with nursing, I know it's really competitive to get into the legit nursing programs. From what I've been hearing, most hospitals are starting to require a BSN, so it's not even just as simple as getting the 3 years for the RN anymore (once you have the prereqs to get yourself into the RN program in the first place.)

In the other "hot" fields, so many people are going into those programs that there ends up being a glut of graduates and the competition for the jobs available by the time the students graduate 4-6 years later that those majors aren't so economically useful anymore either.
Petroleum engineering became very popular during the oil boom. Texas A&M saw the bust coming and reduced the number of people it admitted. It's happened before that petroleum engineers and geologists were struggling to find jobs during a previous oil bust.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:46 AM

828 posts, read 771,480 times
Very interesting conversation. We have a 16 year old daughter so I am e-mailing alot of the links to her. We are gently guiding her towards a career in Medicine (either on the MD or reearch side), but getting a STEM degree as an undergrad so if life hits her hard before completing grad school she can get decent employment.

I started life wanting to be a classical musician (trumpet player). As I was starting college as a music major I was meeting so many talented players who were just scraping by financially in their 40s. I just didn't want that.

So I retrenched and went into Mechanical Engineering instead. Now 2/3 of the way through my career I make a decent living (around $200k) and even though I'm not overly passionate about it, I like what I do generally.....but make no mistake,it feels like a job.

No regrets here, but very much admire the great musicians that stuck with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment