Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 10:47 AM

573 posts, read 1,451,890 times

Advertisements

:think
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeley_Ramirez View Post
Slavery would probably be more working 50 to 80 hours and that runs into your weekends and nights constantly.
With that said, I do not understand the mentality of the fact that just because I want to work 9 to 5 strictly means Im spoiled or just am lazy. Im not
Working 40 hours a week still means your working PERIOD I still have to get stuff done during the week regardless so don't see how thats lazy or being spoiled I still have to work

after 40 hours I can't be productive that much regardless. I need time to recharge and not think about work for the weekend if I still want to be very productive during the week.

It makes sense I guess to paid more to those people who work weekends and nights since most people don't like working those shifts.

But even if I didnt get paid as much as people who work on weekends or nights, its not something I would trade off to not as my quality of life is important.

I know if I worked a lot of weekends or nights for years theres no way I could have a boyfriend. It be really hard for me that way
Really, how does working nights or weekends mean that you can not have a boyfriend---how do families/married couples actually do this. I know very few people who work a 9-5 job on a regular basis --unless they are part time--most have families. Seriously, I respect the fact that you do not wish to work weekends and nights and I wish you well with that but what I do not understand is why you think you can not have a boyfriend if you did work some nights or weekends. Do not get me wrong, I think for the most part that working over 40 hrs a week is not all that productive unless your work is your world. Have you considered a part time job or maybe two---you said the money is not a big deal??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 10:57 AM

573 posts, read 1,451,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

"I don't like none"

Wow. Just wow.
I really do not think this girl is from America but is rather a transplant. I may be mistaken but the things she says and how she says that makes me tend to think that. I do wish her well but she needs to take a class in English especially if she is an admin and is dealing here with the public. It is very frustrating to talk to people that you have a hard time understanding. I also think her attitude is due to her cultural background.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:57 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
I've never gotten fussy about schedules but I always chose to be honest about overtime if it's brought up during the interview. It's something I avoid if possible. Oddly enough I was still offered a job once despite my answer.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:14 AM

199 posts, read 294,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnodak View Post
:thinkReally, how does working nights or weekends mean that you can not have a boyfriend---how do families/married couples actually do this. I know very few people who work a 9-5 job on a regular basis --unless they are part time--most have families. Seriously, I respect the fact that you do not wish to work weekends and nights and I wish you well with that but what I do not understand is why you think you can not have a boyfriend if you did work some nights or weekends. Do not get me wrong, I think for the most part that working over 40 hrs a week is not all that productive unless your work is your world. Have you considered a part time job or maybe two---you said the money is not a big deal??
Some rare weekends or nights sure but all the time no
Weekends and nights are my only time off and my boyfriends time off
I been with my boyfriend long enough to know ill commit to him and he will commit to me
Not something im going to easily throw away like that
I think some people on this thread can get ignorant about hes just another guy and thats the wrong mindset
I been with my bf for a couple of years now
If i start working weekends and nights all the time that would heavily strain our relationship
Not only that i wont see my family, have no days off , and will be hard pressed to keep my relationship alive

I suppose a 9 to 5 full time job will fit the bill but not in a 24/7 operation

Im not a workacholic thou not like most Americans thats just not me

Last edited by Haeley_Ramirez; 11-15-2015 at 11:24 AM..

Old 11-15-2015, 11:18 AM

22,165 posts, read 19,217,049 times
always be up front and honest in an interview, however do this in a way that presents you as professional and still very interested in the job:

for instance if they bring up "can you work weekends and holidays" ask "How often in this position is that required?"
also ask "Is there shift differential pay?" (meaning is it straight pay or time and half or double time)

during an interview you are interviewing them as well, and it always looks good for you to ask many questions, it shows you are serious, prepared, professional

also ask: "how far in advance will I know my schedule" for instance if I know a month ahead my shifts, then I can plan around that. But if i don't know from one week to the next what my shifts will be, then it is impossible for me to plan daycare and other responsibilities

in the long run, if you don't want to work weekends or evenings or holidays, then find places with regular hours

Old 11-15-2015, 11:22 AM

22,165 posts, read 19,217,049 times
there are plenty of jobs that are regular hours.
i have worked over 20 years and have never worked outside regular hours
temp agencies are good for this too, tell them you are only interested in regular hours, and they will only send you on those jobs

best wishes

Old 11-15-2015, 12:22 PM

121 posts, read 119,902 times
Default I think I'd just say "no"

If I only wanted weekdays, I think I'd just decline the night and weekend. My neighbor recently was telling me he applied for a job, and when asked about weekends, he just replied no and said that's when he likes to drink beer. At least he's being honest. I know either response won't likely be taken too favorably, but it is what it is

Old 11-15-2015, 12:31 PM

199 posts, read 294,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
there are plenty of jobs that are regular hours.
i have worked over 20 years and have never worked outside regular hours
temp agencies are good for this too, tell them you are only interested in regular hours, and they will only send you on those jobs

best wishes
Thank you
Are there certain professions or jobs where its more lured to constistent predictable work schedules or is all company based since my job profession is admin assistant?
Idk if thats my best bet or if theres another profession can try to get into that have standard predictable hours?

Old 11-15-2015, 01:21 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Giving someone the title of administration assistant, is something done where they want someone to work cheap and feel they are important rather than give them more money. To some people the title is the most important thing about a job.

Old 11-15-2015, 02:40 PM

666 posts, read 643,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeley_Ramirez View Post

But even if I didnt get paid as much as people who work on weekends or nights, its not something I would trade off to not as my quality of life is important.

I know if I worked a lot of weekends or nights for years theres no way I could have a boyfriend. It be really hard for me that way
Have you tried just explained to possible future employers that you have a unique situation in that you need preferred hours due to having a boyfriend? Now that I think about it what you could do is seek a doctor's note to get an accommodation. A medical professional should be able to vouch for the fact that your relationship with your boyfriend is integral to your mental health and well being. Most of these silly hiring managers just don't get it but a doctor's note can nudge them along and down the right path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment