Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 08:00 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
that's what I'm thinking....every realtor I know works 7 days a week....her customers dictate her hours.

This isn't going to end well. lol
Of course it is. The job fairy will come from the heavens and bless the OP with a job that requires her to be there from 10 to 10:30 every other day with a fifteen minute break. It will also pay $98K a year, full benefits and a generous vacation package.

Doesn't everyone get this kind of deal? Gaahh, how can people be expected to have a life with all this work constantly getting in the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 08:04 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
I wish I could be the proverbial fly on the wall 30 years from now to see how well this philosophy has worked out for the OP. I'm willing to bet the answer will be "not well".

Old 11-13-2015, 08:09 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Ok, I've spend a few sleepless nights pondering this post and the most appropriate answer and here is what I came up with:

"I cannot work nights and/or weekend and I am seeking out a M-F 9-5 position only. Please understand that at this point in time I gotta be with my BF!"

Old 11-13-2015, 08:34 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeley_Ramirez View Post
If its occasional and rare overtime sure.
All the time HELL NO.

Im a human not a robot
You haven't said that you would work overtime occasionally or if it's rare. You said you didn't want to do it at all.

Plenty of us work overtime every week. We're not robots. We have jobs! Well, careers. For decades my husband had to work about 70 hours a week with travel included. Sure he could have quit, but that's what his job was and he knew when he was hired. He was also compensated pretty well for those hours. Don't become a doctor or nurse or a number of other professions because overtime is the norm. Only the government and banks live in a world of 40 hours a week or less.

I find this all rather amusing because 2 weeks ago I was at the grocery store and the cashier said she was a full time employee. I said good for her since that's rare in a grocery store. She said full time is only up to 29 hours and they can't go over that. They're union and have strict rules. Here's a lady wanting more work and the OP wants less. Maybe they should switch jobs? Oh wait....the grocery store lady works nights and weekends....nevermind

Old 11-13-2015, 08:36 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I can't imagine a real estate office, whether residential or corporate, that wouldn't expect weekend work.
I was the bookkeeper for a real estate management company. I won't tell you how many nights I worked late and weekends. The end of the month was absolutely insane. The end of the year and beginning of the year, I lived in my office.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:56 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random856 View Post
Four jobs is a lot of jobs?
I was thinking the same thing. I am in my mid twenties and I cant count the amount of jobs ive had on one hand. doesn't mean I am not a reliable employee though. most of these jobs have been held for at least two years but they were not career level positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Be honest- tell them that a "work/life balance" is important to you and that is the main reason you've left all your prior jobs. No need to mention specifics like "boyfriend.

If they don't respect that, then you don't want to work for them anyways.

I love how people come here for help yet just end up being judged..... Sorry, but she didn't ask anyone's opinion on her desirability as a worker.

She's already told you what the problem is. In the beginning, we all take what we can get. Often this means hard to fill shifts. She seems to have more options now. My hiring decision would never be based merely on her leaving other jobs over scheduling needs.

Despite conventional wisdom, second and third shifts are not a good fit for all people much like first shift is not for me and many others.
good post. agree 100%

lots of harsh replies to the OP in the thread.

not everyone wants or has the ability to work 6-7 days a week, and there's nothing wrong with that. people on here are so judgmental and believe you should work 70 hours a week and be a corporate robot puppet. some of them on this forum may be successful, but at what cost? people on this forum are some of the most uptight people that ive ever encountered. they also seem like the type of people I would definitely steer clear of in real life. I work a lot, but if I end up becoming like some of these people then it is not worth the success(if I ever get to that point). I hate working 60 hours a week, but I support a sick parent and have goals to check out of the rat race before I become old and miserable like a good amount of some on this forum. I also aint gonna look down on someone because they elect to work no more than 40 hours a week and have nights/weekends to themselves. 40 hours in a week is still a lot. out of 168 hours in a week, that is still 23.8% of your weekly life devoted to work, or nearly half of your waking hours. in Europe, the people that do work(lol 20% unemployment) have a better work/life balance. people have hobbies, obligations. you're not worried about karma, tell them you have a sick parent or something. you're not even doing it for a selfish reason, you want to spend more time with your boyfriend.

some people have given you good advice that should've been obvious to you in the first place. besides, females can get away with not working nights easier than men. babysitting, homecare, etc. you have a whole laundry list of excuses. but the work-life balance thing seems most legit and truthful

I see a ton of those 9-5 jobs on indeed.com, at least in my area.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:23 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeley_Ramirez View Post
That makes sense
I am an Admin Assistant
The last places I work at were at a hospital, a retail office, a fast food factory, and a 24 Hour Call Center

All of these places were open 24 hours a day.

I really had no idea what was critical of my last position that needed me to be call on a Saturday while with my boyfriend on a date it was annoying and most of what my bosses were asking me sounded more like it can wait until Monday
You are getting a lot of negative feedback which I do not think you deserve. I would say that you be honest but look for jobs that only work during core business hours.

Banks will be your friend here. Just remember that a lot of jobs will have schedule creep and that you may one day find a job where you do not mind putting in the extra hours. To me it seems more of a problem with the work you are doing than the hours. If you liked your job you could put up with a lot more nonsense. Interrupting a date should be rare but can often be put off with "I'm sorry I am really ill and will not be able to make it in right now, how about in the morning?" or "My mother is really ill and I am taking care of her. I know this needs to be done but can I do it tomorrow or Monday?"

Your work history is not unusual or something to be embarrassed about as at least on poster tried to infer. I am curious of what a fast food factory is? LOL

Old 11-13-2015, 09:27 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
I think it's ridiculous that people are being so rude to the OP. Plenty of people working office jobs do not work nights and weekends. It's not an outlandish desire.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:27 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times
Also you have to be a little savvy about why you tell people you left those jobs IF ASKED. If you think the job does not have job growth do not say you left because there was no growth opportunity. This would be my go to response if I felt the job I was applying for had growth opportunity.

Otherwise you will have to come up with some other reasons, but always keep the reason positive and NEVER blame anyone else. EVER.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:41 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I think it's ridiculous that people are being so rude to the OP. Plenty of people working office jobs do not work nights and weekends. It's not an outlandish desire.
The reason for the negative comments aren't because the OP only wants a 9-5 job it's because they are telling us they can never work nights/weekends. Ever. Well that was the original story which has now changed a bit. It's one thing to say, I'd be available on hours outside of 9-5 if emergencies came up, but another to say, sorry nope not ever outside of 9-5 thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment