Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 04:23 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,700,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Smolers ruin it for all of us. I don't like them.
Actually, smokers pay for it for all of you. Any time your government needs more money they add more tax to cigarettes. This is why you will never see big tobacco go away. They know they have people hooked and the gov't can use them as their personal piggy bank.

Before anyone thinks I am defending smokers, I am not. I smoked for 21 years and the 4 years since I have quit have been the best years ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 04:44 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,387,997 times
Lol. I used to smoke. I quit a long time ago. When I work with smokers I see when they start jonesing for a smoke. Its like watching a crack addict come off his high and needn't a hit.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:34 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,799,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
We are surrounded by carcinogens. It's a cumulative effect. Radiation, chemicals in the food, stuff in the water, bad air (that causes lung cancer, too) in cities, mercury in fish. To zero in on one thing is pretty hypocritical, since there is none among us without a vice or unhealthy lifestyle choice.
I zero in on smoking because it is one vice that directly affects others. If someone eats and gains weight and has a heart attack that requires surgeries and hospitalization, that might have an indirect effect on someone (via insurance premiums) but it does not affect them otherwise. Someone smoking around others DOES affect them directly because they have to breathe that stink. So THERE is my problem with smokers.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:38 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,626,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Our health insurance company charges a higher premium for smokers. This is becoming common, and many employers are requiring smokers to pay the difference in premium.
Your employer needs to switch to a group insurance policy. Sadly, many small companies don't have enough employees to warrant group insurance, but unions and professional associations often have group policies available for employees. Individual insurance plans usually cost much more for comparable coverage.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:41 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,010,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
That's one thing I also wish to point out. Some smokers WILL abuse the sick system.

This is interesting. Do you think it's only smokers who "call in sick?"

In my experience, it's usually parents who do that.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:36 AM

7,678 posts, read 5,415,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I miss the old days when we could smoke at our desks and staff meetings were smoke filled rooms with a big pot of coffee and a box of donuts. Before the clean air fad got started, a bank did a study to find out how much smokers cost the company. They found out that smokers were more productive than non-smokers.

Nicotine is a wonderful drug. It calms you down while boosting mental focus.
The clean air fad?

I'm not sure whether you are joking or not? Enlighten us.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:57 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,973,716 times
I all just money , then instead of rejecting qualified workers then why can`t you buy them a patch to quit , take care of your workers and they will be a bonus to you instead of devaluing people by your poor hiring techniques.... Get them nurses to test their blood for sugar and cholesterol and blood pressure so you can live right for the best health care and the best insight investors for their pension

Old 11-14-2015, 05:01 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,023,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Not to mention, me wasting time having to run to the restroom to puke every now and then when I get whiff of someone who put down a pack of cigarettes while on a break.
That can obviously be very traumatic! I can feel for you, it's employees in my air space wearing nauseating cologne/perfume that makes me feel ill.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:15 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,774,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
That can obviously be very traumatic! I can feel for you, it's employees in my air space wearing nauseating cologne/perfume that makes me feel ill.

And I've stood behind my share of farting geezers, too.

Kwitcherbeefin.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:45 AM

84 posts, read 71,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PasDeDeux View Post
OMG, I found a thread where I can tell you just how much I hate smokers! I'd rather skip the details about why. If you've experienced being around smokers, you understand. Its absolutely vile. Its worse when they cough all the time. Disgusting! Trust me, where you find smokers you also find cigarette butts on the ground. You have to unfortunately smell that ashy pollution stink. Grrr!
They pollute the air, force their choice to poison themselves on every innocent person around them, make people sick, and close the whole thing out by throwing their litter on the ground as a final ****-you to everyone who isn't them.

Then they wonder why people dislike them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment