Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2015, 04:25 AM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
I disagree. He has already answered that question in his thread from 2 months ago about his last job.
That is why I think he must be a low cost option for a while to new employers to have any shot at redeeming his career.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:31 AM

504 posts, read 801,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
That is why I think he must be a low cost option for a while to new employers to have any shot at redeeming his career.
I agree with you but look at his response to that. What does that tell you?

Old 11-16-2015, 04:55 AM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
I agree with you but look at his response to that. What does that tell you?

True, unrealistic as always. And yes, his attitude and expectations are his biggest roadblock, as employers , intelligently, do not care what your minimum doable budget needs are, but rather care about what your services are worth to them. (The trick is to make the latter meet the former, and then some.)

His F100 experience gave him a good start, but that goodwill to new employers has been decimated by constant job hunting. Employers will dismiss doing that at age 24, once, maybe twice, but by his age, they expect you to have learned to stop doing that. That experience, btw, could easily have led to a 6 figure path by now, even not with them, but it was wasted as an asset.

So yes, I am coming around to your point of view, sadly.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 11-16-2015 at 05:07 AM..

Old 11-16-2015, 05:07 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,430,666 times
I've read a lot of your threads like this. Assuming you aren't just a troll, my advice is to work on your attitude. It's too negative.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:21 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
True, unrealistic as always. And yes, his attitude and expectations are his biggest roadblock, as employers , intelligently, do not care what your minimum doable budget needs are, but rather care about what your services are worth to them. (The trick is to make the latter meet the former, and then some.)

His F100 experience gave him a good start, but that goodwill to new employers has been decimated by constant job hunting. Employers will dismiss doing that at age 24, once, maybe twice, but by his age, they expect you to have learned to stop doing that. That experience, btw, could easily have led to a 6 figure path by now, even not with them, but it was wasted as an asset.

So yes, I am coming around to your point of view, sadly.
My second job, I was laid off, at the age of 25, so it was out of my control. It was a mass layoff for crying out loud.

Everyone in these forums thought I was unemployable even before I landed my last job or two, and I have continuously proven them wrong.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:24 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
I doubt that. Even with gaps in unemployment I have been able to get a new job with the same pay or higher, every time. I have 8 years of experience and expect to be paid commensurate to that. Any employer who tries to get me for cheap just ain't gonna happen. I won't allow that.

Also, my former employer in Stamford said that they would definitely take me back, but they can't because they just hired a replacement, and they know that I am not interested in living in the area.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:38 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,297,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Termination is not 100% in my control. How the hell am I supposed to control a mass layoff?! And if my manager terminated me due to poor performance, even though I was trying my best, how could I really control that? You're not making any sense. Termination is at the discretion of the employer, not the employee.

You're an example of a hiring manager who expects the perfect candidate with a perfect resume and job history. So, to a candidate such as myself who has had five jobs in nine years, what do you expect me to do....remain unemployed forever?! At some point, someone has to hire me.
From what I recall, you were fired from your last job because after only two months on the job you were coming in late, leaving early, taking long lunches, and using your personal phone during work hours. That is 100% in your control.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:53 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,036,378 times
Hundreds (1000s) of posts by you t/o the years. Please allow me to be blunt. You are very attuned to addressing your health issues such as your teeth and your back. It's time you accepted the hard truth that you are ignoring one of the most important organs in your body - your brain. You, nep, are a classic narcissist. If you were to research a well written paper in psych circles on narcissism, you would see yourself as you truly are and seek medical-grade psychiatric help to rise above it. Until you do that, you will just keep replaying this scene over and over, no matter where you land. And it's true what they say - repeating the same behavior & expecting a different outcome is the definition of insanity. There is no shame in admitting you have a problem.....it is part of your body...and you do seem to care for your body. The shame is not wanting to find out why you love this drama and attention; why you can only care about YOU YOU YOU. Best of luck to you...if you don't see a psychiatrist, luck will be your only fall-back.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:12 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I took off about 6 weeks to think about what direction I wanted to take my career, or if I wanted to go back to school, etc. I also took an 11-day vacation while I could. I had $71K in the bank at the time I was terminated. Now I'm down to $66K. So, I think I was able to afford it. And now I have full confidence in knowing that I want to stay in the accounting field and not go back to school.
In that case, spend away. I was just reacting to your comments that you were depleting $2800/month and "freaking out" and "getting very worried". Job searches take time and one could have been "finding themself" while searching, IMO.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:31 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,730 times
I'm sorry that you're in this situation - I know it sucks. :/

I think the number one thing you need to be aware of right now is that reality is a tough school. Today's job market, despite the economic recovery, is still a very much an employer's market. They're picky, because they can.

You asked if you're unemployable. I'd say that you're not at that point - yet. But with your choppy job history and being canned from your most recent job is going to make it that much harder to land a comparable job. The key thing for you to do now is to learn some mental yoga, i.e., adopt a much more flexible attitude. Instead of limiting your search to your local area and CT, you really need to do a nationwide search. There may very will be a dream job out there that'll pay well and give the same benefits you had in Stamford, but chances are it'll be someplace like Atlanta or Dallas - places you may not care to live. Or you might get an offer for a job locally - but one that only pays $52k a year, which is below your "acceptable" range.

I'm afraid this is the kind of choices you're looking at right now, so you'll need to bite the bullet now and accept the situation you're in. I know it sucks, but there are no "do overs" in life. Personally, I'd stuck with the job you had in Stamford - iirc, it paid quite well, and it offered generous health benefits, as well as a lot of time off, not to mention the relaxed "hands-off" attitude you value in a job. But that's just me. You probably didn't realize how good you really had it. Like Bob said, there may not be another job like that one, anywhere.

I'm not saying this to be mean - quite the contrary. A good friend of mine and former co-worker thought he could do better by moving back to his hometown, leaving behind a good-paying, secure job. Guess where he works now? A dry-cleaning place. You don't want to know what he's been through. What really, really sucks though, that he could have avoided this terrible fall if he'd just listened to the advice he'd been given along the way. He was stubborn, and refused to listen. And his life went down into a total death spiral.

I really don't want to see this happen to you - especially since I know it can be avoided with a simple attitude change. And the time for this attitude change is now. Not tomorrow, or next month, or 2 more "lemme try this out" jobs, but now. You're in your 30's - employers aren't gonna be so forgiving anymore. I say you have one more chance to land a good job in your career field, and if you make the boss man happy and stick with it a while, you'll do well. But it's gonna take time, and it's gonna mean doing things in the short term you don't wanna do - like living in a big city with a long commute, or having to accept a lower pay scale if you're not in a big city.

Ignore this advice at your peril. Again, I'm not saying this to be judgmental - I'm saying this because I don't want you to end up like my friend - totally broke and working at a dry cleaners place and hating every minute of it. Don't accept my advice on account of me. Accept it because you know it reflects the reality of your situation, and because you know it's not too late to turn your life around. Don't be stubborn - take what you can get in the short term, and then work like hell to improve your situation.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment