Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 10:27 AM

6,389 posts, read 4,088,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Managers are normally clueless in the way that they give news period and this is just a case. If they say "WE'RE HAVING A MEETING" regardless of if it is a good thing, you think "Oh s***, I'm fired." I try being level with people and always was with Boy Scouts. I was never a yeller and that style of leadership never worked for me despite a Scoutmaster saying I needed to do that. His assistants (one of which was my father) told me to disregard that and just do me. Guess what, it worked. Not saying yellers don't work, I know there's a time for that but not be wrath of God for nit-picky stuff and remind and beat people over the heads about deadlines and timetables (for the most part people know anyway so it's beating a dead horse.)
Personally, the managers that never yell scare the hell out of me a lot more than the ones that do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 10:44 AM

15 posts, read 49,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
This X 1000

Okay, so I'm taking a quick lunch stop at work. And I just spoke to the senior GF.

-- Can I try to explain my business unit structure first?

*Superintendent (our Boss)
*GF (senior, he has been here for 20 years)
*GF (my work buddy, he used to be a Project Coordinator)
*Project Coordinator (me!)
*Project Coordinator

Okay, so like I said, I just spoke to the senior GF, and he's been telling me that he wants me to be a GF (no influence from me, it's all coming from him.) He told me that he and our boss have been talking. And today, he just told me, that my work buddy - the other GF - is going to be demoted back to Project Coordinator.

I dunno whats going on, but I guess I will find out more at my lunch meeting.

IF I am being moved up, it's going to be pretty awkward. Basically swapping me and buddy out.

I dunno.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:57 AM

7,937 posts, read 4,928,075 times
Something wrong with closing the office door and discussing things? Why leave employees in suspense? Jerk power trip bosses today

Old 11-14-2015, 11:22 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,767,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Personally, the managers that never yell scare the hell out of me a lot more than the ones that do.
Why because of you being afraid they will go nuclear on you? I rather deal with one big blow up than blowing up over small, meaningless details like staples not being even on your latest TPS report on the daily.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Something wrong with closing the office door and discussing things? Why leave employees in suspense? Jerk power trip bosses today

I know right? He wouldn't like it if his boss did this to him. It's going to be bugging me until the day arrives - which, hey! I don't even know which day this week we are going to lunch. He never said.

Ugh. So not cool.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:05 PM

6,389 posts, read 4,088,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Why because of you being afraid they will go nuclear on you? I rather deal with one big blow up than blowing up over small, meaningless details like staples not being even on your latest TPS report on the daily.
No, because the ones that yell at least let you see what they are thinking (assuming you are capable of reading between the lines). The reason I fear the ones that don't yell is because they are usually better at hiding what they are thinking.

I say this because I am one that doesn't yell but I hurt them somewhere else that really hurts.

One time a contractor lost it and yelled at me. I didn't yell back. I just stood there and let him blow off some steam at me. Afterward, I made sure they had to pay a heavy price through a series of fines and evaluations of their work. I also behind the scene made sure my company never hired them again.

And that is exactly why the quiet ones scare me a lot more than the loud ones.

Old 11-14-2015, 01:59 PM

10,931 posts, read 11,675,775 times
Sex?

Old 11-14-2015, 03:00 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,392,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_90 View Post
Your'e right. I won't tell anyone else about the lunch invitation. Heads will be rolling if he does want to promote me to General Foreman. I'm a female in my 20's and construction doesn't really take to kindly to a lady being a boss. My supervisor is not like that though, and loves my work. Anyway, thanks for the advice!
Make sure to attempt to negotiate a decent pay increase if they offer you a promotion. Some places try to get you to do the new job without promoting you. Where you get the title and the responsibility, or some kind of lead role, but same pay. Be prepared to ask for more money if they attempt this. Often this leads to a promotion later as you prove yourself, but you can be stuck working at your old pay for a year or so until they finally go through with the promotion.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:42 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,699,393 times
Anytime I have been told they want to take me to lunch, it always involved a promotion or a substantial raise. When I took an employee to lunch when in the corporate world, it always meant a promotion or a substantial raise.

Taking an employee to lunch to make them an offer of promotion, big raise, etc., is kind of normal in the business world.

If they are going to fire you, they don't waste their time or money to take you to lunch to do it.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Anytime I have been told they want to take me to lunch, it always involved a promotion or a substantial raise. When I took an employee to lunch when in the corporate world, it always meant a promotion or a substantial raise.

Taking an employee to lunch to make them an offer of promotion, big raise, etc., is kind of normal in the business world.

If they are going to fire you, they don't waste their time or money to take you to lunch to do it.

I sure hope this is a promotion lunch. I just found out today that the General Foreman in my department is going to be demoted back to Project Coordinator (my current position), I'm hoping that I will be moved up to General Foreman.

I would be pretty devastated if this lunch was only letting me know that this guy is being demoted.

A lunch is a reasonably implied "important" meeting, and for it not to be promotion, and just a boring update on this dude, would be a snooze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment