Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 12:08 PM

7 posts, read 4,311 times

Advertisements

Would be glad for any advice. I'm in a situation that could be hopeful, could be depressing, depending on which way one looks at it. I prefer the hopeful mode...
Here's where I am. Single, age 53, no kids. Moved to a Caribbean island with ex and am now alone. Have been teaching here for over 9 years, mostly Art (my degree subject but no longer a passion) then lately English, Maths etc in a grade 7-8 classroom. This latter was very stressful for me. I was not fully competent, and this made me unconfident and some physical/mental downers. So to cut it short, I actually got dismissed while in the 3-month trial period of the job. Last day was yesterday (but I still have a little marking to complete, by agreement with the employer). I may get a reasonable reference if I'm lucky. The students didn't all hate me when I left, but most seemed unimpressed with me during my time there. I danced at the impromptu leaving party I threw for them (and still cringing about this).

I have enough cash to live on for a couple of months here max.
I have a mortgage on a house, that if I sell, might give me a few more months at most if I'm lucky (the bulk would go in paying off the bank and another debtor).

I'm generally quite intelligent, interested in stuff, have a few minor skills in computer, teaching, art, music, math, electronics (which I studied intensively but never got good at at all!), trying Spanish but not far yet, and the list goes on .....I'm a fairly caring person, but consider myself not that great at anything. The thought of a boring job just kills me. Therefore, any ideas about where I should go next? I don't have a US visa, but would consider relocating anywhere (I have no ties here at all - just a few friends who wouldn't miss me THAT much - except one i can think of who is in a similar quandry to me, but heck i can't worry about her too much...)

Basically I'd like to get expert in something, and then I feel I MIGHT get back into teaching, on a completely different footing...or perhaps have tutoring as a side-line (once you've been a teacher, however useless, it does get into the blood I think) and some area of expertise as the main thing. Really don't know. Perhaps graphic design, if I can rekindle the artist in me - i have Photoshop basic skills that I could work on (the artistic drive in me started to wilt after about the age of 14, although I did later get a degree in Art, this was in a somewhat half-hearted way.) . I know I'm a difficult case! Can anyone see a potential in all this??

So (sorry to waffle, i'm assuming you're a forgiving lot!)- reading the above, does anyone see where I might be headed (in a positive way, please, cos I don't need anyone to say I'm too old etc and go take a jump off a bridge etc).

Thanks in advance!! x

Last edited by PaulaAlwaysHopeful; 11-14-2015 at 12:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 12:14 PM

5,204 posts, read 4,666,583 times
You're not too old to work. However, you don't sound very motivated to do anything which is a career killer at any age.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:18 PM

Adhom - thanks for your feedback

Old 11-14-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
You're not too old to work. However, you don't sound very motivated to do anything which is a career killer at any age.
Although I politely thanked you for your contribution in my previous comment, on reflection it seems rather patronising and doesn't seem to offer any actual advice. More of a thread-killer in fact.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:40 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,281,685 times
You say that you do not have a U.S. visa. What nationality are you, where are you permitted for employment?

Old 11-14-2015, 10:00 PM

908 posts, read 960,498 times
you say the thought of a boring job kills you? sorry but you don't seem like you have the luxury to pick and choose your livelihood right now if you can only afford a couple more months of living expenses.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:06 AM

206 posts, read 238,382 times
Editing work is good. Ebook design is easy to learn...Photoshop editing is great too. You can learn all at Lynda.com for reasonable fee, including files to practice with and pay small monthly fee for Adobe membership if you use your school email from somewhere else.

You could advertise for tour guide or lead group tours. You could work toward tourism jobs at specialty hotels and maybe find some interesting work like rain forest, animals, eco, native peoples, history...

Some of the US cities have soured to predatorial hunt of women 30+. If you are treated better in your present location, consider yourself lucky. Some of the men who are looking for 'love' in US will ruin anything to get themselves okay and snapped so they have no problem messing anyone up...I really recommend you know a local before you try moving back to US or you keep lots of extra money saved up/contact with a close friend or relative so you can have a place to go if you feel uncomfortable due to local 'situation'...nutty kids harassing the adults, weirdo shows, sexual harassment, ruining belongings enmass.

You may enjoy homesteading or volunteer traveling website where you pay your own way & work for room/board...The US states that let you buy the deeds to tax delinquent properties can be nice investment if you have a little retirement money and know some locals. Some places are so undesirable, this is what property should cost given the problems and hassles, atmosphere. You may be able to use some of your retirement money very conservatively and just work/live where cost of living is cheap internationally...there are lots of articles about reasonable places to live. Pensions are cheap option or airbnb people sometimes rent long-term.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:02 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times
With all your gifts and skills mentioned, I see you as a potential entepreneur-your own home-based gig right where you are. Why leave if you like it there and own property?
Tutoring, island tour guide, travel writer, graphic artist, or maybe rent a room on a weekly basis for tourists.
House sitting, pet sitting, freelance writing, academic coaching.
Get creative and think outside the box.
You have a lot to offer yet!

Old 11-20-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
With all your gifts and skills mentioned, I see you as a potential entepreneur-your own home-based gig right where you are. Why leave if you like it there and own property?
Tutoring, island tour guide, travel writer, graphic artist, or maybe rent a room on a weekly basis for tourists.
House sitting, pet sitting, freelance writing, academic coaching.
Get creative and think outside the box.
You have a lot to offer yet!
Thank you - perhaps that's the way I should go. I can hardly imagine being an employee any more, but I guess I might have to stick it a bit longer somewhere. I don't have a cent of retirement savings.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS101 View Post
Editing work is good. Ebook design is easy to learn...Photoshop editing is great too. You can learn all at Lynda.com for reasonable fee, including files to practice with and pay small monthly fee for Adobe membership if you use your school email from somewhere else.

You could advertise for tour guide or lead group tours. You could work toward tourism jobs at specialty hotels and maybe find some interesting work like rain forest, animals, eco, native peoples, history...

Some of the US cities have soured to predatorial hunt of women 30+. If you are treated better in your present location, consider yourself lucky. Some of the men who are looking for 'love' in US will ruin anything to get themselves okay and snapped so they have no problem messing anyone up...I really recommend you know a local before you try moving back to US or you keep lots of extra money saved up/contact with a close friend or relative so you can have a place to go if you feel uncomfortable due to local 'situation'...nutty kids harassing the adults, weirdo shows, sexual harassment, ruining belongings enmass.

You may enjoy homesteading or volunteer traveling website where you pay your own way & work for room/board...The US states that let you buy the deeds to tax delinquent properties can be nice investment if you have a little retirement money and know some locals. Some places are so undesirable, this is what property should cost given the problems and hassles, atmosphere. You may be able to use some of your retirement money very conservatively and just work/live where cost of living is cheap internationally...there are lots of articles about reasonable places to live. Pensions are cheap option or airbnb people sometimes rent long-term.
thanks for your useful list of ideas. I didn't understand everything you said, especially, I'm not from the US but from the UK (currently residing in the Caribbean). Your post gave me the idea of being a travel writer. What have i got to lose. Jobs are usually a psychological pain for me one way and another , so I might give that a go. Perhaps this depression (which makes me find it really unimaginable to be an employee dealing with people's attitudes etc) has its good side - ie it could force me to take a different route...... all the best
by the way, I would rather learn skills on free sites - sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment