Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 09:42 AM

850 posts, read 902,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Like I said some of the posters on this forum are in rare niches that place them in very high demand. The companies will bend over and kiss their rears to keep them happy.

The rest of us better just bend over and take it.
Unfortunately, that how it was at my contract job. After the 6 months all they did for the temps was extend their contracts indefinitely. There are temps that have been there for 20+ months and repeatedly asked their managers if there is any open positions and they get the same bull crap responses from the R&D managers. "I don't have a position in my group but you can apply to jobs on GP careers for positions that fit your background".

After 8+ months of working for peanuts I finally landed a permanent chemist job with a competitive salary and benefits from a company that truly respects its employees and not treat them like toilet paper. Ironically that is what my contract company made. (Angel soft and quilted northern tissue)

@eyeb, my contract job did offer health insurance through aerotek ( my employer) but it was extremely exspensive and had a high deductible. They didn't offer vision coverage which is the main thing I wanted since I just had to buy a new pair of perspctition glasses to replace my old ones and I had to pay for it fully out of pocket.

Also, my contract job did not pay for holidays but it did have PTOs and there was no sick/vacation days.
My new job comes with 2 weeks vacation, unlimited personal days off, paid holidays, heavily subsidized health insurance, dental, vision coverage, and 401k. This new job benefits are like heaven compared to the joke health insurance aerotek offered.

Start my new job December 7th and I can't wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 09:47 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,658 times
My daughte over five years ago was a temp for hire and works full time hrs yet not a full time employee. The agency does give her pd holidays off and think some pd vacation. Due to her income she does receive free medical from the state.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:12 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Here's another way to circumvent the temp trap. My DIL was a temp for about a year. She's an architect, not an engineer, and they offered to pay for her to get an engineering degree, because they only hire engineers for the job she was doing. Before she decided to do it, the company put on a hiring freeze.
What happened is, she started her own company, and now works for the same company on a consulting basis. She makes a ton more money, and has the flexibility to continue to work towards her certification as an architect.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:12 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
but you know it is ending, why not ask the company if they are hiring if you don't want to be contracted? or network with t eir competitor or supplier?
You don't necessarily know it is ending. I'm sure there are different arrangements but when I went through a recruiter and was placed as a "temp to hire" worker, my employer was the agency and the "contract" was between the agency and the company. I didn't see the contract or know it's terms. The recruiter said it was a six month contract that the company could renew or hire me as permanent. But I didn't personally see the contract. That's an internal business arrangement between agency and company. For all I know, I may have been brought in with one month remaining on their contract or it may have been renewed for 12 months or renewed month to month. Maybe there was a time period before the company could make me permanent or maybe there was a buyout clause. Who knows? I didn't see their contract.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:09 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,224,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle21689 View Post
He told me point blank he's been looking. They're going to be really screwed if he and I are gone because we are the only ones that really know the account and they're too busy to train anyone and would be short staffed. ...
that's not your problem. its the companies. I would still be looking or leave.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:03 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
but you know it is ending, why not ask the company if they are hiring if you don't want to be contracted? or network with t eir competitor or supplier?

traveling workers didn't mind the back to back contracts because they got what they want out of it, ie they got paid to travel.

why would it be different for you? sounds like people sign up for contract to get foot in door, network in industry, get experience in field... if contract doesn't provide those after first one or two, why keep signing up for more of the same?

I see you said they are using them in place of workers and not to cover leave like ones I did, but you have to choose to work another... if you get a better offer, why stay? or rather you left... but isn't that how the industry functions? they know people leave so it is a revolving industry like fast food

treat it like a step and move on once you get foothold, why place hope that company will offer a perm job when they have no incentive if that is their business model
This is what I did.

I started with the City here as a "seasonal" employee. They could not keep me here longer than 6 months due to civil service rules. I worked hard (much harder than the perms), and networked my behind off. They made me permanent when my contract ended.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:54 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
27% is not a healthy number.
25% is between 1 in 3 and 1 in 4. That's a great rate compared to other options such as cold application. It's possibly even better than networking.

Quote:
It tells me that 73% of the people that are told if you do a good job and you will be hired are being lied to and defrauded.
This is a demonstrating of you completely failing to misinterpret the facts. Not all temps are told they will have an opportunity at a permanent position. Most temp positions are not slated for permanent placement. While it's likely that some people are being lied to, there is nothing here that supports your false claim that 73% of people are lied to.

Quote:
27% of people not being hired might be reasonable as people that can't do the job reliably not 73%.
Not quite. The probability of 73% of people being a great fit for a single position is very low. The reality is that it takes time to find the right person. The method of bringing people on in a temporary capacity to see if they are a good fit is much better than simply interviewing someone and hiring them as permanent. Not only do both the employer and employee have a better opportunity to learn about each-other before making the permanent commitment, but the employee gets paid and gains experience. That's not bad for a worst-case scenario. Much better than the alternative of going through several rounds of interview (unpaid) and having a much smaller chance of actually getting the job. Realistically, given the variations in people and employers, 27% is extremely healthy.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:39 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
25% is between 1 in 3 and 1 in 4. That's a great rate compared to other options such as cold application. It's possibly even better than networking.

This is a demonstrating of you completely failing to misinterpret the facts.
What am I misinterpreting? Temp-to-hire means the job is a trial position for permanent hire not temp. That is how they are being sold at least. 73% not getting hired is pathetic. That is companies lying/defrauding workers to take a temp job when they are seeking perm employment. The idea that 73% are a bad fit is ludicrous. Defending this is a stretch even for you.

Wasting an afternoon or so interviewing is a lot different than wasting a year being duped into working a crap temp job for a lying POS company and agency.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:35 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,288,516 times
Quote:
What am I misinterpreting? Temp-to-hire means the job is a trial position for permanent hire not temp. That is how they are being sold at least. 73% not getting hired is pathetic. That is companies lying/defrauding workers to take a temp job when they are seeking perm employment. The idea that 73% are a bad fit is ludicrous. Defending this is a stretch even for you.

Wasting an afternoon or so interviewing is a lot different than wasting a year being duped into working a crap temp job for a lying POS company and agency.
You are correct, it is very different than being interviewed vs actually working there for a year under a lie.

For those looking a "temp" jobs, and they tell you that the job will convert to permanent when the contract has completed, ask to speak to those permanent employees with the client company who were once placed there by them as temps. If they can't provide you with anyone, then if it isn't a lie, then the company is too new to the client to have established themselves.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:06 PM

341 posts, read 1,232,444 times
Quote:
Yep they just keep renewing the contact indefinitely. I worked one for 3 years and hated it. Some places after being sued like Microsoft was put limits like 2 years or so. If your contract ends they may try to help you get another assignment as they then would have an unemployment claim.

However, these agencies are notorious for playing games to F you out of unemployment like make false claims you were fired or offer you the most awful low paying job 50 miles from home and report you for refusing work when you say no in which case you can spend months in hearings fighting it out.
An account I work on...they do hire people permanently but I've seen some employees that are still a temp after 3-4 years. I agree that there should be some kind of law that limits the length as a temp....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment