Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 07:36 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I think it was meant as a joke, not bullying.
Agree. You are brand new to the company with no knowledge whatsoever of how the office parties have been planned in the past. She and the others probably thought it funny to think the new person would be able to plan the party.

I highly doubt it was meant maliciously in any way, but probably as more of a teasing "welcome to the company" type of joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 07:41 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Not even kind of bullying.. she was trying to be funny.

Lighten up

Old 12-05-2015, 01:17 AM

34 posts, read 33,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliette View Post
I started working at my new company for a week now and we were having a office-wide meeting. During the meeting, our boss asked us if anyone had any ideas about how to plan on the Thanksgiving Party. Out of nowhere, this lady that I don't even work with starts shouting: "How about Daniel plans something?!" Everyone starts laughing and I just sit there with a blank face. Soon after, we get into discussions about participating in an event and she again shouts: "Daniel, you don't have to do it if you don't want to!" I sat across from her and she didn't even speak directly to me, she just shouts it out to everyone. Why is she singling me out? I just sat there minding my own business. The office is comprised mostly of women 35-60. I'm in my early 30s, Male if that makes a difference.

Thank you.

Without being there and knowing them personally, most married women think men are useless when it comes to party planning, so you could have been the best guy ever, but you were going to get those comments.

If you are really nerdy looking and they are single, that will also still happen.

Have any of your other coworkers try talking about party planning or creative things and you shut down the conversation?

Old 12-05-2015, 01:18 AM

34 posts, read 33,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blingding View Post
I hope her supervisor reprimanded her. She sounds like a nitwit.

I hope she didn't reprimand her.

If someone is in their mid 30s, they don't need to have their every interaction micromanaged.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:11 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Wow, I am glad I do not work with some of you. It IS POSSIBLE to have fun at work, you know. This fun can include playful bantering and fun teasing.

What a bleak world some of you must live in.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:24 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,754 times
Sounds like teasing, which usually means someone likes you.
I would have laughed and just made a joke back and let it go.
Older, longer-term workers teasing the new young guy.
Lighten up is right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment