Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 11:51 AM

684 posts, read 713,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
I am looking for a better job, but pickings are slim. I'm being very cautious because it's hard to know when applying for a new job whether the day-to-day environment will be any better. And it's not like they want to discuss vacation policies in an interview.

It absolutely is, and yet during that time frame upper management were all putting in work hours during their time off (even while traveling) so there's no sympathy when they feel compelled to do it to someone else.

That's my situation in a nutshell. I'm my entire department, no coverage whatsoever, and my workload grows a bit larger every year. And the big boss goes on a tirade when things don't get done within so many days.

I operate large printers as my main duty, and during the above-mentioned vacation, on the very first morning I was gone, the only printer we had at the time stopped running and nobody knew what to do. If they hadn't called me to get it restarted, they would have been able to do absolutely nothing for the rest of the week. I'm not excusing them at all, just saying what happened. And once I helped them with that, the floodgates opened...
Being in mission critical position does always mean that. They simply need to hire another person to back you up and for you to work as a team with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 04:22 PM

38 posts, read 28,689 times
Companies don't actually WANT you to take vacation time.

If your company can do without you for two or three weeks, they can find a way to do without you permanently.

99.9% of all employees are easily replaceable.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:01 PM

1,088 posts, read 577,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The5thOfNovemner View Post
Being in mission critical position does always mean that. They simply need to hire another person to back you up and for you to work as a team with.
Never gonna happen. Staff has been reduced by 2/3 since 2008. They won't spend a dime unless they absolutely have to. They've turned "doing more with less" into an art form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavischipolte View Post
99.9% of all employees are easily replaceable.
Yes, I'm easily replaceable. All they'd need to do to replace me is find someone who is willing and able to learn 19 years worth of duties in a couple of weeks, and be willing to do this for a crappy salary. They'd be lined up around the block...

Old 06-10-2017, 02:14 AM

3 posts, read 1,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
Never gonna happen. Staff has been reduced by 2/3 since 2008. They won't spend a dime unless they absolutely have to. They've turned "doing more with less" into an art form.

Yes, I'm easily replaceable. All they'd need to do to replace me is find someone who is willing and able to learn 19 years worth of duties in a couple of weeks, and be willing to do this for a crappy salary. They'd be lined up around the block...
Just wait for it soon there will be a computer that will do exactly that for all of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment