Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 04:02 PM

66 posts, read 44,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
That is your issue right there.
I was very positive, but over the years things just got worse. Reality hit. I'm 28 not 16 and hopeful anymore. I'll try to stop soda,but have nothing to cope with anymore.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:05 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupsofjoy View Post
I was very positive, but over the years things just got worse. Reality hit. I'm 28 not 16 and hopeful anymore. I'll try to stop soda,but have nothing to cope with anymore.

It is your choice to do or not do whatever, just do not forget that it is YOUR choice.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
It is your choice to do or not do whatever, just do not forget that it is YOUR choice.
Being obese,broke, with arthritis is not my choice. Why would I want this?

Old 11-21-2015, 04:15 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Being obese,broke, with arthritis is not my choice. Why would I want this?

I said it is your choice to do OR not do whatever to change your life.
Being obese did not happen over night and if you do not have a medical reason then being obese is your choice because of the things you choose to consume and the lack of movement.
Many people with worse things than arthritis are still very active and productive.
Learn how to manage your finances follow a financial program, we followed the Dave Ramsey Total Money Makeover Program for more than 10 years and still follow it for the most part today.

You have chosen complaints and excuses over action to improve.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:52 PM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:

I changed my entire life myself, I made the conscious decision to do so and until you decide to do the same your life will not change.
True.

Years ago I was an interviewer for a National Institute Drug Abuse study, going door to door in Alaska, of all places, asking people if their cocaine use was up or down, and how about marijuana?

It was a bizarre job, but one thing I remember clearly was that of those who said they had stopped doing one drug or another, nearly all stated that they "just decided to do it."

Stints in rehab may have been been mentioned from time to time, but the real deal was making the decision. That's what nearly everyone said.

Sometimes it was out of fear of losing their family. A spouse or more rarely, a kid or a parent drew the line.

One guy said he quit because he wanted to buy a pickup. Seems someone pointed out that if he made good money and if spent less of it on drugs, he could buy a pickup.

So he did.

Guess the trick is to have something you want enough to work for.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:07 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,161,015 times
Quote:
And apply where? And are you promised a job right after? Also...Im not a fan of giving massages...
You're doing peri care for approximately $10 an hour, and you don't want to give massages for $60 per hour?

Quote:
Ok currenly I have been a cna aka nurse assistant for 6 sad years. Hospitals won't hire me due to only having nursing home experience.
Not even for a position in the geriatric unit?

It sounds like the first thing you need to do is get your income up by picking up extra shifts and/or getting a second job.

Old 11-22-2015, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
You're doing peri care for approximately $10 an hour, and you don't want to give massages for $60 per hour?

Not even for a position in the geriatric unit?

It sounds like the first thing you need to do is get your income up by picking up extra shifts and/or getting a second job.
Hours of non stop rubbing...
No thanks.
I did get a second job, but the first job had me bed bound due to arthritis,so I couldn't get to work..or school in the past.

Old 11-22-2015, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
True.

Years ago I was an interviewer for a National Institute Drug Abuse study, going door to door in Alaska, of all places, asking people if their cocaine use was up or down, and how about marijuana?

It was a bizarre job, but one thing I remember clearly was that of those who said they had stopped doing one drug or another, nearly all stated that they "just decided to do it."

Stints in rehab may have been been mentioned from time to time, but the real deal was making the decision. That's what nearly everyone said.

Sometimes it was out of fear of losing their family. A spouse or more rarely, a kid or a parent drew the line.

One guy said he quit because he wanted to buy a pickup. Seems someone pointed out that if he made good money and if spent less of it on drugs, he could buy a pickup.

So he did.

Guess the trick is to have something you want enough to work for.
I do want it bad enough. Drugs are easy to get off you don't need it to live. Food you have to eat to live. Can't go cold turkey on eating.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:17 AM

206 posts, read 238,547 times
I was getting a pedicure few weeks ago. I have some mobility issues yet following back injury and this is my only 'luxury' to deal with this challenge...

Nice lady was CNA and getting cosmetology certificate in nails...Nursing homes need this badly & you can also work out of senior centers who sometimes run a nail clinic monthly for their members...

I think she only had to study for a couple months to get it. Her nursing home employer was paying for her training.

----
My local big catholic hospital chain has a 'turbo nurse' course for anyone who has some medical training. You will be employed by the hospital as you study and you will be reimbursed for your college training to get LPN, then RN.

Some seniors advertise in college newspapers for nursing students to live-in for free, sometimes provide you a wage and allow you time for work/school in exchange for ADL, cleaning, food and transportation help.
----
Computer certifications have been dumbed down to rip offs in a lot of schools....The textbooks are wrong and video tutorials online wrong...If you consider your English writing skills good, you can take online training for PMP certification and technical writing training (from University of California extensions for all their schools - available online) will land you in 'TECH' or 'ENGINEERING'. You will need to learn the softwares and I really do recommend AUTOCAD drafting skills...If you learn software quickly, this is nice field with $20-25 starting but is a lot of temporary work...Craigslist has TONS of work listed, search it through Google Advanced Search for 'craigslist.org' site. Technical writing also includes policy/procedure handbooks for businesses...You can even end up teaching training classes in corporations...
----

Emergency work -- If your credit is still good > 6-12 months of money handling (Aldis is $11.50 and Costco is $12, big box hardware stores are $10), learn 10-key with typing tutor which is $30 at Best Buy. Then go over to bank and apply with resume & suit. This will land you $12 at least plus benefits, tons of OT and lots of opportunity for advancement and may pay for college.

Bartender training with your tax return - Available online and most cities with very convenient schedules. Cost is under $400, really cheap online. If you have a nice look, nice smile and like to let people talk, this has money making potential. Hotel chain bars (especially the nicer hotels) hire at $10 an hour plus tips, benefits, shorter schedule like close at midnight, get to meet headliners and interesting people visiting town. If you will purchase a tuxedo type outfit or similar for lady, you can work wedding receptions, banquets, company parties for $300+ for 3 hours plus tips.

School bus driver starts at $12 with split shift, no benefits except you can bring little kids. This will get you a commercial driver's license for free...If you drive for 2 years with school, you can get into trucking. But also opportunity to drive any commercial vehicles including day-haul companies like Pods, AFB, FEDEX freight. Can drive dump trucks...

Fork lift certification at $400 offered at the community colleges will get you a cushy job in any factory. Inventory people or part-expressor (delivers parts around big factory installations in little trucks) is another opportunity if you have this background. Inventory thing can pay really nice if you work on Logistics degree in business...At minimum, you need to learn MS Excel and be willing to train. Is cushier job for lady in the big factories, plus opportunity for advancement as you learn to manage the incoming parts needed to keep the factory running right without delay or having to keep lots of parts in stock on grounds.

You can learn SEO easily on Lynda.com plus basic web, mobile web compatible sites...This will get you job quickly on Craigslist as long as you put together a nice portfolio of sites...This won't cost much.

Transcription or medical coding classes are helpful if you want to work from home. Can get into medical coding easily at eye Dr or dentist, go from there...Transcription wants more experience but has low overhead with $50 foot feed pedal on ebay, Expressscribe is under $50 and $20 a month for Microsoft office if you don't have older version. Need to update the dictionary with medical, legal or whatever specialized lingo. (Some of these transcription jobs are hellish torture is like 8+ people talking or heavy accent, so can be really picky what jobs you take.)

Secretary at medical office/senior services could get you some opportunities too. Just learn MS Office on own with library book or Lynda.com, accounting software is taught for $300 at community college.

Hope you find something interesting with adequate wages.

Hope for a layoff...If you go over to the Unemployment Office, they have worker retraining programs that will pay you unemployment benefits for up to 2 years, plus pay for education for certificate or associates degree, books, transportation...Worth checking into if laid off, hours cut, sexual harassment or hostile work situation...

Last edited by KS101; 11-22-2015 at 03:40 AM..

Old 11-22-2015, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS101 View Post
I was getting a pedicure few weeks ago. I have some mobility issues yet following back injury and this is my only 'luxury' to deal with this challenge...

Nice lady was CNA and getting cosmetology certificate in nails...Nursing homes need this badly & you can also work out of senior centers who sometimes run a nail clinic monthly for their members...

I think she only had to study for a couple months to get it. Her nursing home employer was paying for her training.

----
My local big catholic hospital chain has a 'turbo nurse' course for anyone who has some medical training. You will be employed by the hospital as you study and you will be reimbursed for your college training to get LPN, then RN.

Some seniors advertise in college newspapers for nursing students to live-in for free, sometimes provide you a wage and allow you time for work/school in exchange for ADL, cleaning, food and transportation help.
----
Computer certifications have been dumbed down to rip offs in a lot of schools....The textbooks are wrong and video tutorials online wrong...If you consider your English writing skills good, you can take online training for PMP certification and technical writing training (from University of California extensions for all their schools - available online) will land you in 'TECH' or 'ENGINEERING'. You will need to learn the softwares and I really do recommend AUTOCAD drafting skills...If you learn software quickly, this is nice field with $20-25 starting but is a lot of temporary work...Craigslist has TONS of work listed, search it through Google Advanced Search for 'craigslist.org' site. Technical writing also includes policy/procedure handbooks for businesses...You can even end up teaching training classes in corporations...
----

Emergency work -- If your credit is still good > 6-12 months of money handling (Aldis is $11.50 and Costco is $12, big box hardware stores are $10), learn 10-key with typing tutor which is $30 at Best Buy. Then go over to bank and apply with resume & suit. This will land you $12 at least plus benefits, tons of OT and lots of opportunity for advancement and may pay for college.

Bartender training with your tax return - Available online and most cities with very convenient schedules. Cost is under $400, really cheap online. If you have a nice look, nice smile and like to let people talk, this has money making potential. Hotel chain bars (especially the nicer hotels) hire at $10 an hour plus tips, benefits, shorter schedule like close at midnight, get to meet headliners and interesting people visiting town. If you will purchase a tuxedo type outfit or similar for lady, you can work wedding receptions, banquets, company parties for $300+ for 3 hours plus tips.

School bus driver starts at $12 with split shift, no benefits except you can bring little kids. This will get you a commercial driver's license for free...If you drive for 2 years with school, you can get into trucking. But also opportunity to drive any commercial vehicles including day-haul companies like Pods, AFB, FEDEX freight. Can drive dump trucks...

Fork lift certification at $400 offered at the community colleges will get you a cushy job in any factory. Inventory people or part-expressor (delivers parts around big factory installations in little trucks) is another opportunity if you have this background. Inventory thing can pay really nice if you work on Logistics degree in business...At minimum, you need to learn MS Excel and be willing to train. Is cushier job for lady in the big factories, plus opportunity for advancement as you learn to manage the incoming parts needed to keep the factory running right without delay or having to keep lots of parts in stock on grounds.

You can learn SEO easily on Lynda.com plus basic web, mobile web compatible sites...This will get you job quickly on Craigslist as long as you put together a nice portfolio of sites...This won't cost much.

Transcription or medical coding classes are helpful if you want to work from home. Can get into medical coding easily at eye Dr or dentist, go from there...Transcription wants more experience but has low overhead with $50 foot feed pedal on ebay, Expressscribe is under $50 and $20 a month for Microsoft office if you don't have older version. Need to update the dictionary with medical, legal or whatever specialized lingo. (Some of these transcription jobs are hellish torture is like 8+ people talking or heavy accent, so can be really picky what jobs you take.)

Secretary at medical office/senior services could get you some opportunities too. Just learn MS Office on own with library book or Lynda.com, accounting software is taught for $300 at community college.

Hope you find something interesting with adequate wages.

Hope for a layoff...If you go over to the Unemployment Office, they have worker retraining programs that will pay you unemployment benefits for up to 2 years, plus pay for education for certificate or associates degree, books, transportation...Worth checking into if laid off, hours cut, sexual harassment or hostile work situation...
Cali has a lot to offer. And thank you much for this list. Once thin I'll try for these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment