Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 11:27 AM

439 posts, read 517,072 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am wondering - what are the dangers of stating you are quitting your job (in this case, I gave a two-week notice) because of your manager? (Other than the danger of him making your life a living hell the last 2 weeks of your employment?)

I just ask because in some ways I want to expose him, you know...to the senior management...because there has been a constant revolving door of employees, and I think they should know (although they probably already figured it out, right?)

my main complaints are - he is unfair with the scheduling (he "plays favorites with the employees), he's lazy, he spends half of the workday talking and gossiping with others, then when it's time for him to leave (he also is "hourly"employee, so he has to punch out at the end of his shift) he pawns his work on me. I've also noticed he (as well as another male employee), do not do their share of the "heavy lifting" as far as - some of the manual labor (taking out the trash, etc.) they leave for me to do (which I've had to confront them on). I wouldn't ask them to do more than their fair share (even though they are guys and much stronger than I am), I just think they should do their half. I've had to confront my manager to do his share of the work, which just seems weird...Also, I think he's kind of a pervert (though I wouldn't say that to the senior management)

I gave my two-week notice on Nov 3, and yesterday Nov 18 was my last day. (Yes, I know this seems after the fact, but listen to the rest...) Today I start same job in a different store for better play closer to my house. When I gave my two week notice - I told them that it was because I had moved and I made it sound like it was only because of location (I moved on Oct. 1), which kind of it was ...but I didn't *have* the new job yet, I just thought that they would hire me (which they did).

Anyway, my dilemna, today I will see the district manager - she is *one* (he actually has several) of my old boss' bosses. Now she will actually be one of my new boss's bosses too! Don't you think she will ask me how things went down over there?? Do I say my true sentiment, you know, what a crapshoot that job was...and that I think that my old boss was not a very good manager at all. Or do I just let her figure it out...you know, just live and let live and let her figure it out. Part of me just wants to vent my frustration, which I have not told anyone who works at my old job. There is no guarantee that my new job will be any better...haha, ("out of the frying pan and in to the fire" so they say.

what should I do? should I A) Keep my mouth shut or B) vent my frustration, if asked.

Thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 11:33 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Keep your mouth shut. Keep it short and sweet.

Google around for dignified, professional ways to cut ties.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:38 AM

I know, I would have liked to stay at the same job - As luck would have it, it happened to work out in my favor, this time...I was hired after I gave my two-week notice - and I don't think they checked my current employer for a reference...I mean, I gave my two-week notice because things started to go sour and I started to think that I didn't think he would give me a positive reference for a job. (not that I really care - this is a part-time job and I also have another one ) this job was for the benefits though - but the new job pays better and same benefits (and closer to my home)

I actually like my district manager, she's rad.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:40 AM

I just think that he's in the wrong job (like square peg in round hole...)

He talks and talks and talks...he should really be in sales. He's immature for his age...acts like a high school teenager sometimes

whatever...done with that place...I wash my hands of it...

Old 11-19-2015, 12:03 PM

It's just that my last day *practically* ended in tears yesterday (as I was driving home....), although I won't have to deal with those people anymore.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:10 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
I feel your pain! I unfortunately did talk poorly about my boss when exiting a job and burned a bridge. I learned my lesson the hard way. Sadly it isn't worth it in the long run.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:56 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post
Hi,

....<snip>

what should I do? should I A) Keep my mouth shut or B) vent my frustration, if asked.

Thoughts??
It's no longer your problem. The risk of venting is greater than any benefit that can come of it.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:02 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
NO!

If you say anything bad about your boss or company they will assume the problem is you. It doesn't matter if your boss is Ming the Merciless.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:15 PM

1,785 posts, read 2,382,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
NO!

If you say anything bad about your boss or company they will assume the problem is you. It doesn't matter if your boss is Ming the Merciless.
This is probably true, since you're telling this to people in a similar position as the person whom you are criticizing, thus they can relate to your old boss regarding having employees whom they consider problems.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:17 PM

215 posts, read 185,465 times
I say f*** the whole thing, be unemployed

People are rats, want to be treated like rats

Management knows this

What else can I put here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment