Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 11:16 PM

853 posts, read 4,035,854 times

Advertisements

Got a wonderful new boss. However, they moved customer service under her too. Now everyone in our department is supposed to help answer calls as needed, on top of our usual jobs. I was tied to phones 20 years ago and I don't think I have it in me to do it again. Unfortunately, I now have the best boss ever, so I wish I wanted to stay, but I know I need to start looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 11:17 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
As long as the miracle of direct deposit continues on the 15th and last day of the month, my job can suck all it wants. I'm planning to retire in 8 years. I'm far less fussy now than I was 30 years ago.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:30 AM

7 posts, read 6,430 times
When I know my boss doesn't really care about my work by implementing stupid and unfair performance measures so he can make the "numbers" on the monthly report look good for HIS boss and doesn't know how much pressure he is adding to our whole team. I don't mind hard work but when you are not being appreciated for your work, I started looking for something else.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:55 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,049,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboobam View Post
I was informed today that a coworker was basically bullying other employees with name calling (calling someone fat and lazy. Also said that when little boys drink after each other, they turn gay.). This was reported and nothing was done about it. That whole department was angry and appalled that nothing was done to this employee (not even a warning). I also mentioned this issue to HR prior to these incidents and she basically told me (2 sides to every story and to basically mind my own business). At that moment, that is when I knew the company I worked for didn't give a crap about their employees and didn't care if they were being treated like crap by management/other employees. Was there a time you were at a company, and a bad moment made you realize it was time to leave?
The silly behavior you've described wouldn't cause me to resign. However, I would expect leadership to address it fairly and professionally. Where do you fit in? Did you witness this ? Hear about it how? When did it happen? Today? Or did you just hear about it? Did YOU then take it upon yourself to ask HR to share disciplinary actions on a co worker. I'm confused by your timeline of events and your overall involvement.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:14 AM

206 posts, read 238,432 times
Found out two people who were in the same job before me got screwed out...The troublemaker was retained even after doing a HOT PURSUIT on poor lady whose husband was dumping her and her daughter was about to deliver unplanned child with no daddy, trouble almost got her fired and threatened her ability to even pay the bills. Troublemaker started to pester me about lunching with him...Eventually my time came and found out boss covers for the man, even spinning some interesting fiction to cover him.

This was government job. These guys sometimes got the ladies by wrecking new jobs for women in trouble...Lots of these males were married to FORMER teachers who were working in second career after desperate re-education & completely broke. Teaching can really be thankless when you cannot keep the schools' employees off you plus stress of managing the principal who tries to silence screwed up parents & 35 young victims of the whole mess.

Found out this is just local atmosphere with lots of stuff courts/cops refused to deal with...Some got screwed at multiple employers and it was a good worker.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:58 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,295,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesitis456 View Post
Or when you're in such a small business that the boss is the only one with the authority to help you - except the boss IS the problem.
Yes they are just as worst, in cahoots or one big mole is same, except for this one you need to fired the boss immediately!

Old 11-22-2015, 08:31 AM

590 posts, read 714,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
I had relocated from another state and had been in the department for a month when I noticed all kinds of dysfunction. Bad fit all around. I lasted 6 months in that role. I gave 3 weeks notice, called the moving company back and had them haul me and my things right.back.to.the.house.
That is awesome! I love how you straight just tested it out and didnt like it was able to revert right back to where you were Lots of people screw themselves out of being able to do that.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:36 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,085 times
I loved where I worked until we lost our manager and my mascot status of being the only one in the whole hospital to work the pm shift was about to end When the new manager told me that I had to comply with the 12 hour shifts I said "No I don't. I'll just leave." It was an amazing year and a half gift but those double shifts on pm's and night was getting old as well. I'm happy it's over and so far I'm loving early retirement.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:54 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,504 times
When a mediocre employee at entry level got promoted to BizDev, because his mom was best friends with the director of HR.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:13 PM

7 posts, read 8,599 times
When my manager didn't come back from maternity leave and I was like... one month into an accounting role and working until 8 PM every night just to keep up with everything.

Then the other manager told me I'd be doing all the budget work by myself and my two co-workers who had been there years acted like they couldn't possibly help with any of the additional work.

I walked out the next day.

Landed a dream job a month later and have been very happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment