Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2015, 06:05 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
If you came across a qualified, entry-level candidate with a degree from an online school, particularly the ones listed, would you just throw it in the trash or would you consider interviewing the person?
The candidate was probably scammed and I likely would not consider interviewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtamay3 View Post
As someone who has a degree from one of the schools listed, I think it's a poor choice to throw away someone based on what school they went to without reading their resume. I've also been on the other side of the table. I'm in a technical field as well.

I look at the school, and I look at what I'm trying to hire. For example, I would look at someone with a technical background from one of those schools if they look like they meet the qualifications. I'm not going to disqualify someone with a degree from those schools, nor will I qualify anyone else from a standard state university.

I'm more concerned with skills and experience you have. On the flipside, at my two employers, who hired me didn't care for my degree either way. They just wanted to see if I could do the work. That's why you have interviews. To weed out the BS that was pumped into a resume probably written by someone else and to see what type of people skills does the person have as well. I'm not going to hire a genius mathematician in a field which requires him to be uber social. I'll hire him to crunch numbers no one else can. I'll hire the tech guy with a tech degree from an online school if he proves the skills he talks about in his resume are true. If he could talk, I'm putting him in a position which he needs to communicate such as project manager, etc.

Good hiring managers will do one simple thing: Hire the best candidate into the best environment for that person. Lazy hiring managers will simply hire the first candidate who looks good on paper.

I'm on my 2nd Fortune 500 company and no, I'm not just some janitor or junior level person.
I think that most open positions have numerous candidates. One way to limit the amount of time you spend interviewing is to use the resume to narrow the field. Education and work experience can tell you about a potential candidate, including the school someone attended.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:39 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
First we are talking about an entry level position, hence a young person with a small or non-existent skill set in real life work. by the

When you are 18 and move away from home you have done nothing on your own in many cases. College is where you learn to manage finances, cook for yourself, be responsible(or not) for getting to school and doing assignments etc. You are young and amazed at the world, and sharing and discussing the world and all of its wonder with your friends until sunup is invigorating. You are exposed to thoughts and ideas that you may never have heard before. All of this helps a person mature and develop their mind to be more aware of the world. The social setting is unique and hence you get an advantage over someone who didn't do that. Instead a person who went right to work out of high school and took classes at night, may have gotten the same education, but nowhere near the same experience. I want well rounded employees who have thoughts and ideas that are contemporary, yet are grounded in the philosophers and poets of hundreds of years ago. I also want people who are committed and can manage themselves to stay on track and get a degree in 4 years.

None of this is to say that you are not a better candidate or even have better social skills. But in general, two 22 year olds, one just out of a traditional college setting and one with a degree obtained at night while waiting tables, are just not the same. I understand that some may see that as offensive and very unfair, but I'm doing the hiring, so that's just the way life rolls....lesson learned.
LOL. What about the military? Living in barracks, around peers, and actually working? You are very closed-minded.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:29 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
This is honestly such a condescending thing to say. We all have our pasts, we all have our battle scars. There is no need to compare war stories to find out who had it worst.

It's not a competition. Another person having a difficult past doesn't negate the trauma you've had. No one needs to be "the worst" . Not to mention constantly comparing and thinking you have it worst only leads to more negative thoughts.

I wasn't saying that as a competition. I just mean that it's going to be a bigger deal to me because it's my childhood all over again. I know that my fav musicians have had problems before they were a big deal and there were a few times I have felt it. Sometimes I don't even understand how one of them does it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtamay3 View Post
Look, we go to different schools and make different choices for whatever reason. For me, I was able to get a tuition benefit out of one of them. It's served me well. But the person you quoted is right as well as your job coach - stop overthinking, stop feeling sorry for yourself. There's tons of people with degrees like yours. And they've gotten hired. Want to know the difference between the ones flipping burgers and the ones running a team in an office downtown? Persistence. Work hard. If you're a bad interviewee, practice. If you wish you had more experience on your resume, take an internship if possible. Self-teach. Greatest thing about the internet is being able to watch videos and taken lessons for free on how to do what you want to do.

Where you got your degree is at the bottom of the list for the most part unless you went Ivy League. It's the drive, passion and confidence you can display to a hiring manager - through paper and in person. Trust me, Best Buy isn't looking at where your degree is from. I know people who worked there with no degrees. You mentioned in interviews you're quiet and you spend time listening to the interviewer. It should be the opposite. You have to sell yourself to them, not the other way around (unless you make it high level). Be personable, get experience and stop making excuses. When they ask questions, be 100% confident in what you're saying to the point where you don't have to think about it.

I have worked so hard already. I know it doesn't seem like it but I really have and I've basically been trying to keep my head above water almost all my life. I worked so hard in school but I still got mostly Cs...although school was a cake walk compared to this. I swear I am Charlie Brown. The harder I try, the further away I am. I'm tired of working hard to get the chance to work hard. I would work hard on the job so why can't it be easy since no one is going to give you money once you succeed?
I know I have to stop overthinking but I never know how because I know that I have to be the best to get hired. Someone is always going to be better than me esp since I'm behind in my life. If I even get close it feels like it will take too long to be close to the competition. The biggest factor to my overthinking though is me reading people visually. I know when an employer is not feeling me. You would think that would make me change my tune but it only makes it harder and puts pressure on myself as I guess I mirror them since I don't know how to hide my feelings completely. I wish I could just turn it off and stop reading people IRL.
When I want the jobs I want them so bad but then people tell you desperation turns employers off. I'm just so afraid of telling the truth and I know I can't lie (at least not well) so I try to stay more quiet. I do try to answer their questions of course but it's like my subconscious makes me simplify it as much as possible. I just know when I'm up against enough competition and it's going to be stiff because of the lack of formal jobs I've had I have no room to mess up..although I know being a perfectionist makes me mess up more. I know my coach said we will practice practice practice til I get it but I feel like I don't get enough time with her. What if I'm more messed up than her other clients? I must be or the therapy I was put in would have helped me because people generally say therapy works for them. Maybe some of them are young and have the rest of their lives to get a job.
If you put your degree for Best Buy or any other retail store, are you overqualified though? I keep thinking I should not put it but my coach says to keep it on to balance the lack of work experience out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
How in the heck are you 27 years old and have only had one short job, back in high school. How have you survived and supported yourself.
My mom and section 8 combined with what little I get on the sites I've done. I think it would have been so much better if I had just gotten hired for what I applied for years ago or had thought of other opportunities to try for work or help on getting work (why??? why didn't I get diagnosed years ago so I could get help?) then I would not be so burnt out. Sometimes I think I did the sites so long that I don't have it in me to be driven about finding work anymore. It was just too much work. For a while between the sites and looking for work, I barely had any time for myself. I remember for a long time there I would skip eating, do the sites while I'm in the bathroom and sometimes even do them before I went to sleep. I even did some of it while I was on vacation at the hotel.
Even if I do shock myself and get a job, I'd imagine I can't get one before the holidays but I just have to get something. I can't take feeling like I need to do the sites anymore. I'm going to resent Christmas like last year if I don't get something and I just can't wait anymore to try hard and not get hired because I've gotten to the point where I'm very tired of complaining about it. Everytime I cry about it I get mad at myself which only makes me cry more. I try to do the sites to distract me from wanting a job so much..so I have something to do that will pay me but somehow I can't do them like I used to.

Anyway this was long and went off on a tangent ugh but I guess I don't need to worry about it because that would be poking a hole in my writing ability which I shouldn't do.

Last edited by Nickchick; 11-24-2015 at 09:39 PM..

Old 11-24-2015, 10:03 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post

My mom and section 8 combined with what little I get on the sites I've done. I think it would have been so much better if I had just gotten hired for what I applied for years ago or had thought of other opportunities to try for work or help on getting work (why??? why didn't I get diagnosed years ago so I could get help?) then I would not be so burnt out. Sometimes I think I did the sites so long that I don't have it in me to be driven about finding work anymore. It was just too much work. For a while between the sites and looking for work, I barely had any time for myself. I remember for a long time there I would skip eating, do the sites while I'm in the bathroom and sometimes even do them before I went to sleep. I even did some of it while I was on vacation at the hotel.
It's time to get a job, any job. You are 27 yrs old living off of the government. Is it you getting the section 8 or her? Because if she's getting it, she obviously can't afford to support you.

You need help.

Old 11-25-2015, 04:23 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Hmm, what if the hiring manager had a degree from one of these online universities? What then? Why are they exempt? Or one can become HR just by going to Harvard?

This thread is beyond insulting BTW.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:32 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Hmm, what if the hiring manager had a degree from one of these online universities? What then? Why are they exempt? Or one can become HR just by going to Harvard?

This thread is beyond insulting BTW.
As I and others have said it's not a 100% I won't hire someone with a degree from those schools. I've continually said that other parts of the resume (work experience, internships, volunteer work etc...) can all help.

Im not sure what's so insulting about what people are saying. It's the truth and while it's a hard road for those who got their degree from these places, hopefully this thread and others can help people to see that these schools are a bad choice.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:41 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
My advice to Nickchick is to end the pity party now. You have so much self pity that you will never land a job as that shows all over your face and attitude. Heck, it even shows a ton in an online forum. You need to find a way to make things work. Start by adjusting your outlook and being positive. This will show and lead to other things. You aren't the only person who has ever encountered some troubles in your life.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:14 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,896 times
I made the decision to go to one of the "for profit" universities years ago before many of the good schools had online classes. I was working full-time and wanted the convenience. Of course I regret it now, but I can't really take it back.

Thankfully I have a lot of experience and skills that get me jobs even though my degree is not even worth wiping my butt with - live and learn!

Old 11-25-2015, 08:21 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Recruits you are responsible for your college choice not the employer. Computer skills need to work are more sophisticated than Facebook and texting.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:23 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
I made the decision to go to one of the "for profit" universities years ago before many of the good schools had online classes. I was working full-time and wanted the convenience. Of course I regret it now, but I can't really take it back.

Thankfully I have a lot of experience and skills that get me jobs even though my degree is not even worth wiping my butt with - live and learn!
I got an mba and most of a law degree at night while working a 50 hour per week job. These programs were available 30 years ago at public institutions.

Last edited by Johnhw2; 11-25-2015 at 09:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment