Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 05:02 PM

194 posts, read 246,218 times

Advertisements

I would tell myself to stop worrying about the price of things and think about quality and not go to crappy Saginaw Valley State University just because it saves money. Wasted two years of my life there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 05:08 PM

805 posts, read 1,870,922 times
Work hard at school and college. Stick at things even when the going gets hard

Have fun, ask more girls out on dates and don't worry about being rejected, plenty of fish in the sea.

Mix with the right crowd.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:40 PM

731 posts, read 935,167 times
I would tell myself to do anything to stay out of debt. Debt takes away a person's freedom and stopped me taking advantage of some great opportunities. Having money is freedom, so stay out of debt and save, save, save.

Tell myself that some people don't ever figure out what they want to be when they grow up, so focus on finding a career that you can live with, work with people you like, and don't get a history degree! Use the schools employment resources and get an internship!

Don't wait until your late 30's to have kids (unfortunately, that was circumstantial, as I needed to find the right husband first). The older you get, the more tired you get and kids require a lot of energy.

Move to where you want to live before you settle down or you will be stuck where you're at.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:44 PM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
I would have told my younger self to start kissing butt early and often. Looking back, I never believed in playing politics and becoming best buds with management. I only cared about showing up, doing my job to the best of my ability, and going home. If I had only wet the right places, I could have moved up a lot easier.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:50 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
"DO NOT have intercourse with that girl! Oh, by the way, re-enlist NOW!"

Old 11-24-2015, 06:59 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
I would have told my younger self to start kissing butt early and often. Looking back, I never believed in playing politics and becoming best buds with management. I only cared about showing up, doing my job to the best of my ability, and going home. If I had only wet the right places, I could have moved up a lot easier.
I have too much self-respect to kiss butt. I just do my job and don't really care whether people at work like me, to be frank.

I'd rather stay at a lower rung in the totem pole than advance due to sucking up. It's pathetic.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:26 AM

723 posts, read 1,004,177 times
Red face Do what ytou want to do, go with your GUT!

Do not let anyone stand in your way or derail you. Do not do what you think you should do. Do what you love doing and if you can make a living doing that you will have a very happy life.

Old 11-25-2015, 05:39 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
My aunt had a room renter that was very good at picking stocks. But my aunt never sold hers.
I bought Precision Castparts (Portland, Ore) while in junior college. Buffet just bought it now.
Then I sold it to clear my college debt. Hint: keep cash flow coming, even if you stay in debt.

I didn't buy Starbucks in the early eighties as one of five Northwest Stocks to Watch as I didn't
like the name, or the logo. If you bought all five, and put them in a drawer, only ONE needs to
pay off, as long as you never sell.

Mom says Auntie has more money in her purse than the parents have in retirement funds. She
bought Bell Canada.....in 1955, etc. Oh, and live long.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:32 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,280,603 times
That German Shepard on your new route isn't as friendly as he looks!

Old 11-25-2015, 09:44 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times
I would have held off on college for a few years and focused more time and energy into playing online poker because it was really, really good from about 2003 to 2011, particularly the first few years. But it is now dried up. Could have made a fortune in my late teens and early 20s instead of focusing so much on school. Could have gone to school and started my career at 28 or 30 with a million dollar nest egg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment