Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 07:58 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times

Advertisements

I'd have told my younger self to become a dentist or an optometrist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 02:44 PM

4 posts, read 3,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Stay away from office jobs. They absolutely suck the life out of you. Skip college and go into a trade. Hands on work is very satisfying, and one day you can start your own business.
SO SO TRUE! ive got my acounting degree was happy at first that i was going to be a "professional". what a disappointment. you will end up working on low level 7th grade work, you will work with people with no accounting background, only their connections got them in. work in a cube but its not bad if you are actually doing some analytical work. nope, not gonna happen. its now what i call an accounting factory. high volume of the same work everyday. you only really need a couple of bookkeeping courses and you are set for a good 90% of accounting jobs. do the trade route, i was going to learn automotive electronics so i could work on troubleshooting all types of cars. no, i decided on accounting. the subject i like but the reality of the job is different. its like a manager at MacDonalds, a lot of training on running a business but really, you do crap work like all the other employees with no clue of anything. oh, and the politics. you actually need to get trained on that subject. the politics is what makes the office run. i like so and so, i hate so and so,. the promotions go to the best politician. good luck

Old 12-02-2015, 10:34 PM

20 posts, read 29,978 times
Find out what I want to do for a career or narrow down into the industries and not be so clueless
Major in the right subjects, study, and/or try to aim for a better university with better recruiting
Don't waste money on grad degrees

Old 12-04-2015, 10:30 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Buy Amazon and Apple, short GM, and buy BOA and Ford at $1.
This!! AND I would tell my younger self to "always listen to your gut".

Too many times I went against what my gut was telling me.

Last edited by cfbs2691; 12-04-2015 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-04-2015, 06:50 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennygump5150 View Post
SO SO TRUE! ive got my acounting degree was happy at first that i was going to be a "professional". what a disappointment. you will end up working on low level 7th grade work, you will work with people with no accounting background, only their connections got them in. work in a cube but its not bad if you are actually doing some analytical work. nope, not gonna happen. its now what i call an accounting factory. high volume of the same work everyday. you only really need a couple of bookkeeping courses and you are set for a good 90% of accounting jobs. do the trade route, i was going to learn automotive electronics so i could work on troubleshooting all types of cars. no, i decided on accounting. the subject i like but the reality of the job is different. its like a manager at MacDonalds, a lot of training on running a business but really, you do crap work like all the other employees with no clue of anything. oh, and the politics. you actually need to get trained on that subject. the politics is what makes the office run. i like so and so, i hate so and so,. the promotions go to the best politician. good luck
Several of my friends are CPA's and all have done well... one became partner at age 30... others used it as a springboard for business ventures and a few just opened their own businesses...

There really is a lot more to accounting than crunching numbers all day...

Old 05-07-2017, 10:38 AM

171 posts, read 165,566 times
1. Don't get addicted to video games.
2. Don't stop exercising and eating right.
3. Learn how to drive sooner.
4. Never spend money on people outside of family or give loans.
5. Don't go to a university at 17, just get an associate's degree and call it good.
6. Start working sooner.
7. Start learning Mandarin as a teenager, not Japanese.

Last edited by Queldorei; 05-07-2017 at 10:55 AM..

Old 05-07-2017, 11:19 AM

156 posts, read 123,850 times
Stop caring what others think of you!!!

Old 05-07-2017, 04:07 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
when in school, take it one week, or month at a time, don't look long term as the long term could be so different as to make you make a bad decision.

Oh and always (Until the vows are given) wear a wrapper...

Old 05-07-2017, 07:44 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Don't sweat the small stuff. Its almost always/all the time small stuff.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:58 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,902 times
Major in Accounting, that or Respiratory Therapy or some sort of Allied Health field with growth. Also colleges may offer a variety of majors but really there is only a small core that employers actually value/want to hire-everything else is more or less seen as "fluff". Also if you decide to go for fluff you will be competing against the hundreds of other people who also went for Fluff, competing for that teeny, tiny, minuscule number of job openings that go beyond simple, mind numbing data entry, call centre work.

Also- intern early, work earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment