Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 09:44 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,558,967 times

Advertisements

I'm in a similar situation, and I've always thought, I should totally write a book, a good book, one that sells. That would be the ticket. ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 10:01 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,404 times
do you know what you would like to do next at your current employer? Have a conversation with your boss about what you would like to learn and see if you can grab work from another department so you can grow into your next job at this company.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:39 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
I've been in a similar situation
one thing I did was sit down and read books that I knew where going to make me more valuable to the company
I read almost every equipment manual that we had.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:59 AM

90 posts, read 104,019 times
Do you notice that everyone else is pretty busy or are they slacking off? If the place is busy and you think your help is needed , you need to look around you and just do something. In companies where managers are overwhelmed, assigning new work may require additional training, etc., and they can't plan it or some other bureaucratic reason.
Managers like whoever makes their job easier.. very simple stuff. Give it a shot.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:48 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Every time I asked for more work at my last job I was punished with busy work, things like filing. I alwaysed asked for more work to do, when they would leave me crap that wouldn't help me advance in any sort of way I would stop offering.

When my work is done and I ask to help I expect something meaningful and worthwhile. The bosses that have provided me that meaningful work were rewarded with a leaf product and a willingness to take on more. Bosses that dumped crap on me never heard me volunteer again.

Of course the boss who gave me meaningful work kept pilling on meaningful work until I was taking on project from other units. I certainly got the short end of that stick as well in the end.

In retrospect, don't volunteer for more work.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:06 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
First of all, make sure you have EVERYTHING in perfect, I mean flawless, shape in your current position. You should put together a desk-top procedure that spells out everything you do, step-by-step. Keep your area clean. Develop a daily schedule. Put together a short-range and long-range plan. Be sure all your training requirements are complete. See if there are any online training courses available to you. Network a little. Every 50 minutes, go for a 10 minute walk through the old cube-farm and see what others are saying/doing. Any brainstorming possibilities? See if you can learn more about the company. Keep your eyes open for upward mobility.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:47 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
When I first entered my profession, I started noticing that there was always not much to do. They would assigned me very little to fill my time with. I was bored to death. Then a few weeks into this line of work a light bulb went on in my head. If they don't assign me work then I will just assign myself work to do.

I'm in middle management now. All of those who sit around waiting to get assigned something to do stay where they are. They never get promoted. Those who figured out early on to assign themselves work and keep themselves busy are the future managers. In fact, most guys I manage never figured it out. They would just sit around waiting for me to give them something to do.

I am reminded of something one guy said to me. When I first started working for my current company, they gave me an older guy, about in his 40s. He did not know at the time He was directly under me. He said to me, the new guy, this is easy work. He even advised me to bring something to read if I got bored. And that's why he had probably 15 more years of experience than I do but never did anything more than lower level work.

Take my advise how you will. Enjoy your free time and little work if you are satisfied with where you are. If you have more ambition, then start assigning yourself work and get things done!

Old 11-23-2015, 10:18 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Your boss might not want to put you forward with more responsibility when you have only have 9 months experience with the company. They might not consider you fully integrated and if you are straight out of college/university, trades or high school you have to prove you can hit the ground running. They want to get a track record on you.
What kind of track record do you have? If your boss investigated your files, computer, work ethic and office gossip is there anything you've hidden from him. Get ALL your ducks in a row so the boss cannot stump you. Then ask for an appointment to talk to him but never ever tell him you are bored. Say something like you are ready for more responsibility. You like a challenge. Then shut up and let him talk.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:21 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Yes metro,
Assign your self some thing to do. That's called self-motivation, it's a treasured virtue in an employee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment