Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 10:44 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Are you saying "Which restaurant?" is grounds for suing or getting someone fired?
Of course not, but in the context of other behavior it could become relevant. For example, if you casually have referred to the woman as "legally blonde type" to co-workers, together with the explicit incident of ridicule, it could be enough to warrant at least a warning or minor sanction.

Quote:
I stand by calling her legally blond type.
My recommendation: Don't. Don't stand behind it. Don't ever call anyone that. And work to never even think of another human being that way.

Quote:
Someone who came straight out of college should not instantly become PM.
Again your words provide strong indications of what's really going on. These words sound like anger due to jealousy, even if you didn't mean them that way. You're still making statements like that even after a number of folks in this thread have said things that would have had anyone thinking very carefully about what they're saying. So I have to believe that you mean them the way they sound.

Quote:
Let me repeat.
I'm sorry, but repeating it just sounds like defensiveness. I hope you take these comments in the spirit intended.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:46 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Just to make sure I understand, Daddy is your firm's client?

And, as a favor, your firm hired Daddy's daughter?

And somehow, you haven't figured out that you are a little worm in this relationship, and rather than lose the multi kazillion dollar contract with Daddy, they will extinguish you like a bug on a windshield.

Stay out of it. The customer, and the customer's daughter, is ALWAYS right. They are paying the bills. When they say jump, you say "how high"?

If you are smart, and your jumping skills (a$$ kissing) are good, you might get to make a career out of the situation. If you continue to be stupid, you more than likely will find yourself unemployed.
I don't believe they hired her, she's the PM of her Dad's company and she's accusing the OP's company of overcharging them.

But even the Dad is wanting to know why she's claiming they're overcharging them. If she was working for the OP's company, then she'd know what the cost s really were.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:47 AM

367 posts, read 458,120 times
The fact that you have chosen to ignore everyone who replied that you (the OP) were being sexist further compounds that point. You simply do not get it, you would have not have replied to the a man in the same way. You may say you would in this thread to look better, but in reality, you would not. You have a problem with a woman in this capacity. There is nothing she can do to prove respect to you, you do not give her the chance. You also put her down in saying "daddy" did this for her. Not, "her father".

You even acknowledged in the opening that it's been a rocky relationship even before you mocked her typo. Why are you trying to joke in this manner with someone like that? It wasn't meant as a joke, it was meant as a slight that you could disguise in saying that you were only joking if called out about it. It was a put down and you are upset because she is calling you out for exactly what it is.

So what if he made his daughter the manager of a project. He might just want to see how she handles the situation and use it for further training to see where she might need to improve. He's the boss. Bosses do that. When you are a boss, you can do that too. It can be a measure of training.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:02 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
This isn't your judgment call to make. I worked for my father's construction company as the supervisor from the time I was 16 until I moved away at 21. That has helped me learn how to deal with people, how to make mistakes and find solutions to correct them, and learn how to manage.

Young managers make mistakes (really, all managers do) but that doesn't mean they can't be molded into something better. Young managers will usually learn from those mistakes and soak up their peer's criticisms like a sponge and get better.

Just because she went directly from college to a PM doesn't mean she doesn't know what she is doing. That's your opinion of her. She may or may not. If her clients are ok with her, it should be no concern for you. By stereotyping her, you are showing yourself as a stereotype as well.
Her job description posted by her company says at least 10 years experience in construction management.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:04 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica2099 View Post
The fact that you have chosen to ignore everyone who replied that you (the OP) were being sexist further compounds that point. You simply do not get it, you would have not have replied to the a man in the same way. You may say you would in this thread to look better, but in reality, you would not. You have a problem with a woman in this capacity. There is nothing she can do to prove respect to you, you do not give her the chance. You also put her down in saying "daddy" did this for her. Not, "her father".

You even acknowledged in the opening that it's been a rocky relationship even before you mocked her typo. Why are you trying to joke in this manner with someone like that? It wasn't meant as a joke, it was meant as a slight that you could disguise in saying that you were only joking if called out about it. It was a put down and you are upset because she is calling you out for exactly what it is.

So what if he made his daughter the manager of a project. He might just want to see how she handles the situation and use it for further training to see where she might need to improve. He's the boss. Bosses do that. When you are a boss, you can do that too. It can be a measure of training.
Ok. You are absolutely right.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:07 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica2099 View Post

I doubt this is a woman thing. Anyone who has had to work with a young'un straight out of college and put in a high position that requires experience they don't have, while working for Daddy, knows exactly what the OP is dealing with.

My husband owns an HVACR company and we've had to deal with a couple builders who did this. One of those pesky kids wrote us a bad check and we told the owner we could not work with them again because of this. Luckily he had some sense and fired his kid.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:14 AM

551 posts, read 582,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I doubt this is a woman thing. Anyone who has had to work with a young'un straight out of college and put in a high position that requires experience they don't have, while working for Daddy, knows exactly what the OP is dealing with.

My husband owns an HVACR company and we've had to deal with a couple builders who did this. One of those pesky kids wrote us a bad check and we told the owner we could not work with them again because of this. Luckily he had some sense and fired his kid.

I agree, not a sexist issue at all. Spoiled-entitled-brat issue, sure. I think gently pointing out her mistake in a humorous manor was kind; in the real world, words mean things. She needs to learn to proofread, even her emails, as a professional. This ain't Twitter. I don't care what color her hair is. Obviously not a good fit for the job. If I were OP I'd be avoiding all but the most necessary contact. Sorry buddy, sucky situation.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:14 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
RIGHT or WRONG, a Boss is still the BOSS and in this case Daddy is more then likely coaching her at the dinner table.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:29 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Sorry, but that's different. There is a legitimate characterization of millennials, based on a preponderance of experiences working with them as a group. Furthermore, while that characterization originally started as a collection of baseless aspersions built on a foundation of ignorance and frustration, that characterization has developed into a respectable distinction that highlights the group's different, but equally legitimate, priorities; highlights the group's different, but equally legitimate, cognitive patterns; and highlights the group's different, but equally legitimate, work behaviors. What started from the same kind of reactive, casual aspersions is now a useful understand of the way this new generation of workers differs fundamentally than the last three or four generations of workers. By contrast, the OP is engaging in disparagement, and has relayed having engaged in behaviors that would be inappropriate even if the criticisms were valid.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:29 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,959 times
would you make the same joke and put the same smiley face if she was not a young girl? perhaps that is her issue with this.

Edit: read some more posts and saw that you were gay - but i don't think that matters. maybe she thinks you aren't taking her seriously and you're treating her like a little girl. seriously would you have made the same joke and put the smiley face if it were a 50 year old guy who made the typo? i'm not saying you were flirting with her, but maybe just not taking her seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment