Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 03:45 PM

393 posts, read 360,066 times

Advertisements

trade error
lost $38,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 04:23 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,705 times
At the power plant I work, we had a mechanic with a thick accent. Each time a piece of machinery needed maintenance, the mechanic's first words were, "Guas de problem? (i.e., What's the problem?") After explaining the problem, his typical response was, "Gua du jew guan mi tudu? (i.e., What do you want me to do?). I always felt his response was rather stand-offish.

His response became so commonplace that I began to answer him sarcastically. I'd say things like, "I need for you to repair the problem" or "Hey, you're the mechanic. Why are you asking me?"

One day something else needed fixing. He walked into my work area where there happen to be a group of people. Before he opened his mouth I said, "Let me guess, Gua du jew guan mi tudu?" Everyone started laughing out loud.

The next day I was called into my boss's office and informed that my comments were unprofessional, unacceptable and could result in a letter of reprimand should it ever happen again.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
At the power plant I work, we had a mechanic with a thick accent. Each time a piece of machinery needed maintenance, the mechanic's first words were, "Guas de problem? (i.e., What's the problem?") After explaining the problem, his typical response was, "Gua du jew guan mi tudu? (i.e., What do you want me to do?). I always felt his response was rather stand-offish.

His response became so commonplace that I began to answer him sarcastically. I'd say things like, "I need for you to repair the problem" or "Hey, you're the mechanic. Why are you asking me?"

One day something else needed fixing. He walked into my work area where there happen to be a group of people. Before he opened his mouth I said, "Let me guess, Gua du jew guan mi tudu?" Everyone started laughing out loud.

The next day I was called into my boss's office and informed that my comments were unprofessional, unacceptable and could result in a letter of reprimand should it ever happen again.
Your best bet at work is to be as completely generic as possible and never make a smart mouth remark unless you know the person well and know they would understand. People are puss**s these days.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Refusing to kiss upper management's backside and spend the day in their offices hobnobbing. Instead focused on my all work all day.. BIG mistake
Sometimes you have to kiss the booty and go to happy hours, etc...unfortunate but true

Old 11-29-2015, 02:09 PM

245 posts, read 382,480 times
I wouldn't say this was the worst mistake I made. But a long time ago I use to work at a motorcycle parts distributor. I worked in the warehouse, my job was to supply the shipping dept with parts by opening boxes of merchandise, count them and put them in their designated bin in the stock room. I would open the boxes with a razor blade not a box cutter but a straight rectangular razor blade, I was so bored of the job that I ended up misplacing a razor blade in a small bin where some counted merchandise was. The shipping dept dumped the contents of that bin and shipped it to the customer. My boss comes to me a few days later and showed me a printed picture of the razor blade mixed in with the parts that a customer had received.
I thought I was going to get fired for that mistake but I was told to be more careful. Well guess what a week later I ended up repeating the same mistake again. This time a co-worker caught the mistake before it was shipped. My boss asked me what can he do for this not to be an issue. I asked for a box cutter that way I can't misplace it. I stared to look for a new job and a few weeks later I ended up landing a job in a discipline I was studying in college. I gave a week notice of resignation to the warehouse job and I ended up working at the new job for 7 years.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:38 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferashley View Post
Hey everyone

We've all done them..those mistakes that make our heart beat 10 extra beats in a second.

Mine: I opened an email attachment that had a virus. I bought down one of the main drives. It all started happening so fast-anyway..thought I was about to go into cardiac arrest at my desk and the moment where I had to head into my bosses office to tell them it was me. JESUS...longest walk of my life-outter body experience-felt like I was floating down the hall instead of walking. I am my own worst enemy so no one had to give me grief..was giving it all to myself.

Anyway, who has any other "war stories" to swap?
Well, moving a cart with some wood sticking out, caught a work bench and the brand new $20K oscilloscope bit the dust. I took it to the engineers who were actually happy I broke it as they then used the parts to fix 4 others....They never told the higher ups and when the shut the place down, they listed the scope as "Stolen"...

Old 11-30-2015, 06:20 PM

334 posts, read 520,850 times
I can't go into details and it ended up ok...but I screwed up one time and it almost cost the company $60k

Old 11-30-2015, 07:17 PM

589 posts, read 696,295 times
Was working in the ER and got tired and hungry so I decided to eat a coworker's lunch (trust me, she didn't need it anyway) and take a quick nap in an empty patient room. It turns out I'm a heavily sleeper and didn't wake up until 5 hours later when my shift was over. Boy was my face red...when I realized how much more comfortable the hospital bed was than my own. And boy was your face red when you believed this story.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:40 AM

111 posts, read 115,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
In an attempt to impress a woman, I once snuck her into the lab where i work. I was showing her the Mars Rover and we ended up crashing it into a ravine. Since she wasn't supposed to be there this was a big problem. I called my friends to try and help, but they weren't much help. In fact, one of them helped me sneak her out to take her home, and ended up hooking up with her. But that's a story for another post. Doh! Eventually I just left it and acted surprised when it became known.

BAZINGA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment