Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 07:29 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,201,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have a hard time believing that anyone really cares. I live in an extremely food centric part of the country and the workplace that I am in is extremely potluck rich. And nobody gives a crap what you do or don't decide to eat.

Ha! you would think so. I believe him because I have the SAME issue with drinking. I do not drink. Most people I know (co-workers, friends, random people on the street) drink. Now, I could care less if people drink. However, the drinkers constantly have something to say about the fact that I don't drink.

They tease me about it. They make snide comments about it, like I must be the most oddest creature on the face of the earth because I don't drink.

I have gone out with people who have done everything but stand on their head to try to coax me to drink. they KNOW I'm not a drinker. I can have a wine cooler and not drink it all. I just don't have a taste for alcohol. I don't like it.

But..there they are. Coaxing me to drink. Blah blah blah. And God knows, with my personality, I am FAR from 'uptight'. I've got a real crazy sense of humor, and I love to laugh and joke. And we all have a bit of a ...off color...sense of humor. So I certainly don't need anything to 'loosen me up'. But yet, people just seemed confused about why I'm not into drinking. What is that? Just....WHY?? Seriously, I've almost begun to think there is something seriously wrong with drinkers. I could care less if they DO drink. Why the hell does it bother them that I don't?

So, I can totally believe the OP about his co-workers that stress over his eating habits.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
What happened? I'll make it clear----

He stuck his hand in the bag. Do you not see the issue here?

Yes.... I get your point. I've seen people cough in their hand, pick their nose, pet their dog, then stick their hand in the food instead of (in the case of Doritos) just shaking some out of the bag.

I find it gross too. We cant always see what people do to our food (example; restaurants) but if I see it I don't like it. But, if I wasn't eating the Doritos, I wouldn't care. I only care as it pertains to my own stuff. And other people could care less so let them eat it.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:37 PM

17,706 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Dear OP,
Your eating rules are annoying.
Please eat elsewhere.
,dave

Old 11-26-2015, 07:38 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
I have a meal plan that consists of 6 days healthy and 1 cheat day(Saturday). NO exceptions.
Even if I go out to diner on a non-cheat day, I order healthy meals. The potlucks generally have heavy foods or foods known as "comfort foods", all kinds of cookies and cakes and soda,etc....

I generally pack my lunch and stick to my meal plan.

I have no issue with what they eat but they cannot seem to respect what I eat.

Even on Thanksgiving, I eat the healthy prepared selections.

I eat to live NOT live to eat. 1 cheat day a week is plenty. Not to mention, I'd rather use my cheat day when I'm with friends/family NOT coworkers.
What the heck... of course you have the right to eat what's right for you. All these judgmental people in this thread.... I guess a lot of them are your coworkers.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I don't eat food my coworkers bring because i have no idea how clean their kitchens are. Observing some of their hygiene habits at work, or rather their lack of hygiene at work, makes me totally opposed to putting even a sample of homemade food into my mouth.

But it is easy enough to put a little bit of each food on a paper plate and take it back to my desk for lunch. Then I can drop it in my trash at my convenience.

LMAO! Wasting good dirty food! There are people starving in some 3rd world country somewhere. Or skinny dogs on those sad ASPCA commercials

Old 11-26-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
What the heck... of course you have the right to eat what's right for you. All these judgmental people in this thread.... I guess a lot of them are your coworkers.

LMAO...Yup! Bob from accounting and Alyssa from sales are here OP. And they are pi$$ed!

Old 11-26-2015, 07:46 PM

590 posts, read 714,099 times
Quote:
I have a meal plan that consists of 6 days healthy and 1 cheat day(Saturday). NO exceptions.
Even if I go out to diner on a non-cheat day, I order healthy meals. The potlucks generally have heavy foods or foods known as "comfort foods", all kinds of cookies and cakes and soda,etc....

I generally pack my lunch and stick to my meal plan.

I have no issue with what they eat but they cannot seem to respect what I eat.

Even on Thanksgiving, I eat the healthy prepared selections.

I eat to live NOT live to eat. 1 cheat day a week is plenty. Not to mention, I'd rather use my cheat day when I'm with friends/family NOT coworkers.
Sounds like you are doing something reminiscent of body for life. Trust me, I know how you feel. I was on a healthy kick for 2 years and I cannot count how much adversity I had to endure during that time. I ended up slowly loosing track of my healthy lifestyle because of work. (7 12's for 4 months straight will do that to a human).

You just have to ignore it. Let them feed themselves the poison and be obese and unhealthy.....stay true to yourself. Your doing great!

Old 11-26-2015, 08:03 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
Ha! you would think so. I believe him because I have the SAME issue with drinking. I do not drink. Most people I know (co-workers, friends, random people on the street) drink. Now, I could care less if people drink. However, the drinkers constantly have something to say about the fact that I don't drink.

They tease me about it. They make snide comments about it, like I must be the most oddest creature on the face of the earth because I don't drink ...
I have the exact opposite experience with this. I haven't had a drink for more than 30 years and I never have had people tease me, coax me, make snide remarks, etc. And during much of that time I've worked in the rock and roll business, so you know the vast majority of those people are partyers.

Do you know how I've avoided the issue you suffer from? Unlike you, people DON'T KNOW that I don't drink. I don't talk about it. I don't fuss about it. If someone hands me an alcoholic beverage, I just hold it and don't drink it. If there is toasting, I raise my glass and then put it down. Does anyone notice that I'm not drinking it? Of course not. People usually don't pay as much attention to us as we think they do.

As soon as I walk into a bar (and I'm in bars a lot), I go to the bar by myself and get a mixed drink glass with soda and a piece of lemon or lime in it. And if someone asks me about having a drink, I hold up the glass and say, "I already have one, thanks." Two times in 30 years I've had colleague at a work dinner who wanted to buy me a pre-dinner drink, or ordered wine with the meal. When I said no thanks some pressure did start. I immediately cut it off by saying, "I'd have a drink but I'm taking a medication that I'm not allowed to have alcohol with. Don't let me stop you though. Go ahead and enjoy what you're having. You can buy me a club soda." One of the two people took that for an answer and dropped the subject. The other one said, "What kind of medication?" I looked him in the eye and said, "Something to treat my sexually transmitted diseases, Charlie," and I laughed like "you're such a jerk." He never offered to buy me a drink again and we worked together for years.

You are either hanging out with exceptionally rude people, or it's more likely you're making a bigger deal about your sobriety than you think you are. You owe no one an explanation for your choices. "No thank you," said with conviction, is really the only phrase we usually need. We don't to add "I don't drink" to that because (1) it's no one's business and (2) people often think that if you say you don't drink it means you are making a value judgement about them. Same with calorie-laden desserts. I say "no thank you." No need to add "I'm on a diet," or "people shouldn't eat that much sugar," or even, "I don't like chocolate."

I'd say the OP is having a similar problem with food. He draws attention to his behavior and is incapable of hiding his disdain for his co-workers' habits. It's never going to get him any positive reaction in the workplace. But if he thinks his strict diet and hygiene beliefs make him better than others, maybe that's how he builds up his self-esteem. In any case, it means nothing to me. He's the one who is going to suffer the bad reaction from people around him who see potlucks as a way to instill a friendly, cooperative atmosphere in the workplace.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:34 PM

22,149 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
He's the one who is going to suffer the bad reaction from people around him who see potlucks as a way to instill a friendly, cooperative atmosphere in the workplace.
i have never found potlucks to be friendly or cooperative. for years now I have simply stopped going. my lunch hour is my personal time. i do not get paid for it, therefore i have no obligation to attend. if it is a "working lunch" which sometimes they are then I will go, but the distinction is i am getting paid for it, and i am not giving up my own unpaid lunch hour. I work hard at my job, and my personal time during my lunch hour is for me to spend as i wish. there is no way i am going to give up my lunch hour. on my lunch hour I go out of the building, take a walk, read in my car, or just sit someplace quietly to rest. it is my personal time. people at work are co-workers, they are not people i wish to be friends with or socialize with. this to me is good boundaries, and also healthy. i work in healthcare and people seem accepting of the need to get away from the stress whenever we can.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:45 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,103 times
When I did work it seemed like we would have food days frequently and that was where I got in trouble with my weight. The more people involved the more variety. Then when holidays came it was horrible with wonderful cookies,candies and I had no will power. After years of slowly adding the weight I have now lost weight and its been slow. Stick to what you are doing. Its easy to put it on but so hard and not much fun to get it off. Let them laugh,sneer whatever as their pudgeing up you can have the last laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment